Searching for my 40 O'Day stolen from Sandusky Harbor Marina

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Sounds kind of personal. With those visible patches and a truck that could have hauled any of those boats, they didn't pick the most profitable one to steal. Any money owed to the marina or one of its regular contract companies? Previous owner change his mind? Your check bounced and he repossessed it?

I'm guessing you're insured or the marina wouldn't have let you haul there in the first place, unless you bought it there and haven't insured it yet.

You must have signed a contract with the marina that contains a no fault indemnification clause. A good lawyer may be able to get around that if he/she can show gross negligence or complicity on the marina's part.

-Will

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
What did the police say when you reported it stolen? I have no doubt they would be questioning the yard/marina management, examining any available security video etc. That should lead to a license number on a towing vehicle at a minimum, or perhaps a copy of the paperwork presented to the yard to be able to move the boat, so you know who moved it. A date and time would let the authorities begin to look at traffic cameras, so the progress of the move could be deduced. Also, if the yard was owed money, I doubt they would release the boat without being paid. If they were paid, in some manner other than cash, that could generate a lead as well.

You pay taxes (I assume), so you have already paid for the services of a cast of investigators and prosecutors. Why not use their services?

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
after a period of non-payment, and non-response, can't marinas assume ownership? After which boats can be sold or scrapped.

<<passive version of the story in my own mind>>>

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
after a period of non-payment, and non-response, can't marinas assume ownership? After which boats can be sold or scrapped.
Any marina that allows boats to be hauled for work, will likely have a great deal of experience in handling abandonment and related issues.

With out more information, in this case, we are building paper monsters here. Speculation and cautionary comments aside. There is still a lot that we could know to help determine what happened. However, it seems no one here can offer what the OP was hoping for. None of us has seen his boat or, if we have, we don't know enough to know we have.

-Will

Aug 19, 2021
Hunter 280 White House Cove Marina
Any marina that allows boats to be hauled for work, will likely have a great deal of experience in handling abandonment and related issues.

With out more information, in this case, we are building paper monsters here. Speculation and cautionary comments aside. There is still a lot that we could know to help determine what happened. However, it seems no one here can offer what the OP was hoping for. None of us has seen his boat or, if we have, we don't know enough to know we have.

-Will
Is there anyone close to the marina that would do a drive by and ask some questions?

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
......... we are building paper monsters here.................
, it seems no one here can offer what the OP was hoping for.......
-Will
Agreed Will. I was not contributing by any means, rather adding to the 'paper monster' and providing my personal version.

Wouldn't it be fun for us as outside observers to get resolution on this story???? I for one am vested ( albeit VERY lightly). Of course not so much that it would drive me to more action than throwing a few stones over the internet wall, and add to the extraneous information in this thread from the comfort of my confuser.

Jul 8, 2005
Jeanneau 389 Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
I am betting this story is a haux. Just odd the way it came about. If my boat was at Safe Harbor Marina in Ohio, I would be at their office asking who took my boat. Maybe the insurance proceeds are more than the value of the boat. I know I am cynical. Sorry.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
I am betting this story is a haux. Just odd the way it came about. If my boat was at Safe Harbor Marina in Ohio, I would be at their office asking who took my boat. Maybe the insurance proceeds are more than the value of the boat. I know I am cynical. Sorry.
Just because you're cynical doesn't mean your wrong. If it were my boat, the authorities would be at the marina office asking the questions.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN

<<passive version of the story in my own mind>>>
My marina does…the yard is full of boats that haven’t been in the water in years, and if the owner doesn’t pay, they auction them off (not sure how long without payment before this happens).

Eventually, they cut them up if they can’t get rid of them.

Greg

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Maybe you're being punked. Overhauling ( Chip Foose) but a boat not a care...

Aug 19, 2021
Hunter 280 White House Cove Marina
My marina does…the yard is full of boats that haven’t been in the water in years, and if the owner doesn’t pay, they auction them off (not sure how long without payment before this happens).

Eventually, they cut them up if they can’t get rid of them.

Greg
When I had the survey completed on Prometheus, I had her pulled out at the nearest marina that could complete the work.

This marina has a do it yourself yard. As I started looking around the marina and the yard it dawned on me almost everything there was on some state of disarray or disrepair. It was kind of sad.

As we were getting on Prometheus to leave the surveyor looked at our surroundings one more time and said,

"This is a place where great dreams come to die."

I don't think those words will ever leave my head.

Jul 8, 2005
Jeanneau 389 Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
Looking for my Daystar, 40 O'Day stolen from Safe Harbor Marina in Sandusky, was named Sandusky Harbor Marina. Please call 440-356-1202 with any information.
Did you find your boat yet? Is there any update or more to this story?

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Sure the yard has cameras……. “Let’s go to the video”

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
On September 11 I was driving to work listening to the Imus in the Morning radio show when Warner came on to describe the scene after the first plane hit the WTC tower. He evidently lived nearby. His description was so riveting I'll never forget it. Maybe the best reporting he ever did. And he was a sports guy primarily.