Searching for my 40 O'Day stolen from Sandusky Harbor Marina

Jan 13, 2009
J Boat 92 78 Sandusky
I remember this boat when it was in Cleveland. If still on Lake Erie and in Michigan it could only be Toledo Beach(safe Harbor) or Monroe. Western Lake Erie at Anch

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
OK Girls and Boys. I'm still not biting. Can you have a Facebook check-in 15 years before Facebook started. Come on somebody with VOIP and a VPN take a chance and call the number.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
OK Girls and Boys. I'm still not biting. Can you have a Facebook check-in 15 years before Facebook started. Come on somebody with VOIP and a VPN take a chance and call the number.
What am I missing here? Where was Facebook mentioned?

-Will

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
I just can't get behind the idea that this is legit. I know that we lose tone of voice in written text, but post #20 is just odd, in so many ways.

It reads like someone who has played a lot of Werewolf on the internet, and is trying to convince us of something.

Is the comment about " I still have steering wheel, engine and manuals" offered as proof of possession/ownership of the boat? Or is it a "how did they steal the boat with these items not present?" If the latter, what do the manuals have to do with anything?

Maybe the boat was on the hard. I think that would make it harder to steal, not easier, but the lack of a wheel and an engine would not affect moving the boat.

Are boats sold in "sealed auctions"? "Haul repairs" is an interesting turn of phrase, as opposed to "hauled for repairs" or just "hauled" or "put on the hard". So is "serial number" instead of "HIN" or "hull number" or, if applicable, "registration number". Maybe English isn't this person's first language. "One thing is funny" is not as idiomatically authentic as "the funny thing is".

But the standout is "everyone is tight lipped". Hmmm, even the police? Even the Coast Guard? Too much John LeCarre or 1940's film noir.

The phone number is easily reverse searched.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
I know even in my small marina they have security cameras all over the place so it would have been seen leaving……. Story has a few holes.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
For future reference might be a good idea to install a keyed fuel shutoff switch in a hidden location to mitigate the risk of boat theft at least by motor. San Francisco Bay sailors might remember the theft of a multi-million $ luxury 82 foot Oyster sailboat named Darling from the Sausalito Yacht Harbor a in 2013 (and because the boat thief did not know about the fuel shutoff switch the engine shutdown I thought I read) the sailboat ran aground at Linda Mar Beach in Pacifica.........sailboat was recovered but not without at least $500,000 in damage to its rudder, propeller and hull. The vessel's owner was watching news coverage of the incident, took a hard look at the boat bobbing in the waves and realized it was his and called police.

Luxury yacht stolen in Sausalito - 3 held (sfgate.com)
$1 million bail for stolen Sausalito yacht suspects – The Mercury News

Oct 10, 2019
Signet 20 0 Ithaca
Really? Some a y'all were kinda quick to call this dude (or dudette) a liar, just cause they were offline for a couple days. That ain't helping anything, you know.

Somebody even started teasing, saying they had Alzheimer's, I mean, come on, y'all, don't be an asphole. I get that the world sucks, but is civility really dead here, too?

Maybe this story doesn't make sense, maybe they're completely full of it, what do I know, but why jump in being rude after just a couple days? Maybe they're just a shite storyteller, I generally can't follow my wife's rambling tales, though I love her dearly...

LloydB

Jan 15, 2006
Macgregor 22 Silverton
If my sailboat was stolen I'm sure I'd be a bit paranoid about putting my phone number out on the Internet to see if I could find it, even on this site if I had never been on it before. I would however post a couple good pictures of it and post it's last location date and time seen, also its condition - floating or road ready. That said I would also post the phone numbers and name or the .gov website of the AHJ that I have reported the theft to, knowing that they would not give out my information to another scammer that could use it to further damage me. The OP looks like an ex or someone not yet involved with a sailboat community.

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 260 winnipeg, Manitoba
Perhaps sold/scrapped in settlement of unpaid marina fees? Registration sticker in photo indicates 2012.

Nov 8, 2021
O'Day O'Day 40 Sandusky
There are jerks out there thats for sure, doesn't bother me. I was hoping that I could get some leads to where this boat is now. Got one call, thanks for the info, great guy! Most sailboaters are and like I said before, hoping to find the ship! Boat!, sailboat! Yacht!, what ever, didn't have the spell check and grammar turned on. I am a business owner who got screwed, that all the story I am going to print. I will post title and paperwork, need to make sure I legally protect myself, don't want any weirdo's knocking on my door, welcome a phone call with any info. Please disregard this post if you know nothing.

Nov 8, 2021
O'Day O'Day 40 Sandusky
More pics, inside was stained and two long slots were cut by entry, maybe for lights. I used duct tape to keep the water out. Didn't like the teak being stained but it does look like the boat for sail, was staining teak wood common? He's some pics of interior and repair I did on haul. Boat never left dry dock

Attachments

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
If the boat never left dry dock and has no engine, the yard must have some idea where they have put it. Why were things done to the boat (your boat) like staining the teak and cutting openings (for lights?) that you do not seem to approve of?

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I thought someone sailed it away, but if those holes in the hull are current condition, then someone trucked it out (or moved it elsewhere in the marina.

What does the marina say? I don’t think my marina would let a truck in without papers or something.

Greg

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
I thought someone sailed it away, but if those holes in the hull are current condition, then someone trucked it out (or moved it elsewhere in the marina.

What does the marina say? I don’t think my marina would let a truck in without papers or something.

Greg
Exactly, no engine, boat on the hard, how and the heck did the yard let this boat go, without even a phone call? wow??