Searching for my 40 O'Day stolen from Sandusky Harbor Marina

Nov 8, 2021
O'Day O'Day 40 Sandusky
Looking for my Daystar, 40 O'Day stolen from Safe Harbor Marina in Sandusky, was named Sandusky Harbor Marina. Please call 440-356-1202 with any information.

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
Stealing a sailboat; that is unusual. Do you have a link to a news story or some pictures of the boat? How long ago did this happen, to limit the search area?

Jul 5, 2005
Beneteau 361 Sandusky Harbor Marina
Wow!!! That's terrible. I keep my boat there (it's out for the season now); this is a bit disconcerting. Best of luck finding your boat safe and sound.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Welcome to the forum!!

I am so sorry to hear this. If you have not already done so, contact all the marinas and boat yards in your surrounding area to be on the lookout for a 40 O'Day. Also contact your insurance company and USCG documentationn center or state registraion department to let them know. Finally, contaxct these guys and have your sailboat added to their database Stolen Boat Database Search| MarineTitle.com.

If the thief trys to lease a berth he/she will be caught red-handed since marinas require proof of ownership (USCG documentation or state registration) to lease a berth. Hoping for a good outcome.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Also, what are the registration numbers? I'm guessing that a stolen 40 foot sailboat would be hard to get rid of unless the sale was somehow made before the theft. Perhaps the ad is still online and you might find some clue as to where it went?
1636497064762.png

Here's an ad for an O'Day 40 for sale in the Michigan, Lake Erie area 1987 o day 40

There can't be a lot of O'Day 40s for sale in the area and a thief wouldn't want to sail too far away before unloading the boat on some unsuspecting buyer.

(Addition: This boat appears to have been listed multiple times with different prices, years from '86 to '87, and different ports in the Lake Erie area).
o day 40 boat for sale - Waa2

-Will

Jan 23, 2021
beneteau 323 Corpus Christi marina
Kinda ironic, given the marina name…

But I sincerely hope you get your boat back in short time and in good condition!

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Could have been picked up and trucked to another destination by mistake. See if there is another similar boat in the marina that should have been picked up instead of yours. Maybe ask about boats that had their masts taken down that day. Long shot.

Jan 13, 2009
J Boat 92 78 Sandusky
Very suspicious. At this time of the year most marinas are closed in Western Lake Erie. There are only about 5 places that you could pull a 40’ boat. The weather is not all that conducive to transporting on its bottom. Something doesn’t smell right.

Aug 7, 2013
O'day 39' 25th Anniversary Mystic, CT
The more I read this, the more suspect I get about its truthfulness..... We own a 39' Oday and I cannot help but to wonder how you move a 18,000 lb., boat with a +40ft. mast without specialty equipment? Our keel is 30+ inches from the ground to the hull, therefore it will be at least 12 ft. off the ground to the deck......

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
As I cruise through my 68th year, I'm always concerned about dementia and progression to full on Alzheimer's. Just maybe... @rdmerhar had a great life of sailing and this is a break through memory, and they can't find their boat. :(

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Kinda like forgetting where you parked the car at the mall….worse yet…that you took Uber.

But something doesn’t sound right about the whole story.

Greg

Nov 8, 2021
O'Day O'Day 40 Sandusky
Sorry for not checking responses, was hoping I would get a phone call if someone knew anything. I heard its up in Michigan, thats all I could find out, everyone is tight lipped. I will post old OH numbers and serial number. I bought the boat in a sealed auction 10 years ago, did haul repairs and was ready to do final finish. One thing is funny, I have the steering wheel, engine and manuals for navigational equipment. 440-356-1202