Seacock Count - Are we missing a few?

Jun 8, 2020
Hunter 34 White St Helens, OR
Hi and thank you for reading. I am close to purchasing a '83 Hunter 34 and I am compiling a list of safety requirements to make the boat safe for a passage over the Columbia Bar (mouth of the Columbia River in Oregon - The graveyard of the Pacific). I am looking at how many seacocks I might have to replace so I was reviewing past posts listing the details of the boat's seacocks/thru-hulls. Now I have only had one good crawl thru of the boat we are considering and I have another with the broker tomorrow -- but are we missing some? Are there seacocks on the two cockpit drains? Are there seacocks on the engine's raw water intake and exhaust? If so what are they? Has anyone relaced there hoses and clamps since their boat came off the line? What did you use? I ask as I ultimately want to sail the inside passage to Alaska from Oregon - so there will also be many miles at sea with no protection from wind and waves that start over near Japan. Thanks in advance for your help.
SAM

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
I would be surprised if you boat was missing sea cocks. What I would do is inspect each one and replace ALL the
gate valves with ball valves, test all remaining ball valves and replace anyone if not operable or risk leakage. I am sure the other forum members will offer some great recommendations based on their experience. The key is to have reliable all valves that operate especially for long passages.

Please let the forum know what you decide to do.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
The number of seacocks can vary from boat to boat especially in 40 year old boats with various PO's. Usually through hulls above the waterline do not have seacocks, so that is a " NO" for cockpit drains. There should be a seacock for the engine raw water intake but none for the engine exhaust. Galley drain should have a seacock but not the Head sink. The Head intake should have a valve and if there is diverter valve for discharge of the holding tank it should have a valve. If the boat was ever fitted with an Air Conditioner you may find an intake valve for the water pump. Besides valves there should be water strainers on the intake ports, for your boat at least on the engine intake port. For such a trip as you are considering you may want to upgrade the standing rigging ($$$). But even more important than the boat is the Captain's ability. Every time I hear about a successful ocean crossing in a small boat I give the credit to the Captain more than to the boat. Hone and practice your foul weather skills.

Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
+1 on checking the rigging and especially at the rod to angle iron attachment point in the hull On a 35+ year old boat. This will require cutting an inspection port into the liner to gain visual access. I Had my attachment point fail and it wasn’t in nearly the conditions you may face.