• Mobile App For Android Now Online!

Download it here. The app is searchable in the Google Play Store under Sailboat Owners.

Sorry iPhone/iPad users, we are still waiting on Apple. :(

Click the X in the upper right corner to make this go away

Sailing and restoring #9874

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Breezy Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
Charging sockets

Port side bulkhead.
One USB socket (for phones) and a lighter plug with high-power USB charger for the iPads (a tablet takes a long time to charge from the low-power USB socket, my only complaint about the Blue Sea outlets - I wish their USB outlet supported 2A+ charging).
P9150091.jpg

Starboard-side cockpit pocket:
Also a 12v outlet, usually with a high-current USB charger. For iPads when used in the cockpit, etc.
PC110602.jpeg

Starboard v-berth:
USB socket for phone or Kindle. That's my sleeping spot, so now I have some reading material handy when I wake up earlier than the kids. This one went in a cheap plastic electronics enclosure, as there wasn't a convenient bit of liner in which to drill a hole and hide the wiring.
PC110601.jpeg

Aft dinette locker:
Our handheld spotlight and dustbuster live down here; now we can keep them fully charged at all times. Another enclosure; I tried to stick this one on with double-sided tape, but that came off last season; I'll have to go back and do a better mounting job. I'll probably tap threads into a bit of FRP or G10, mount that plate with epoxy, and then screw the enclosure to it.
IMG_1327.jpeg

Starboard side bulkhead:
One lighter plug with a 4-outlet high-power USB charger (the kids walkie talkies, kindles, etc.). Unfortunately, our new Standard Horizon HX890's charger isn't USB, which would have made everything simple. I didn't find a convenient location for another 12v outlet, so I'm going to hard-wire the charger to the starboard-side cabin power bus (with a 2A inline fuse, as the charger cord is 20 AWG, much too small for the cabin power breaker).
IMG_1326.jpeg

I used Blue Sea outlets for all of them. I could have saved a little with off-brand outlets, but that seems like a false economy. I might add another USB charger in the port side of the V-berth, or in the port cockpit pocket. But 6 is enough for this season. :)

Cost: ~$150 (including a little wire and a few multiport USB chargers from Amazon)
Time: ~4 hours

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Breezy Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
NMEA -> Wifi Bridge (AIS on the iPads)

We've really appreciated the integrated AIS receiver in our Standard Horizon GX-2200 VHF. But the screens (on the unit itself and on the RAM3 remote microphone) are really small, so it's hard to keep track of more than a couple AIS targets (and as Class B transmitters grow in popularity, there are a lot more targets than there were a few years ago).

The GX-2200 includes NMEA 0183 output, and NMEA -> Wifi bridges are also getting cheaper than they once were. I used the 'Yakker' model. They also have a 2-port model and a few other products for reasonable prices, but the single-port is fine for this application; they also sell on eBay as well if you prefer ordering that way.

Wiring is really simple - just power and the NMEA leads from the back of the VHF; I just stuck the bridge to the top of the VHF with double-sided tape (hope you can ignore the dirty VHF. Other projects ongoing too...)

I configured the VHF to include AIS and GPS information on the NMEA output (the setup is in the VHF manual, and pretty straightforward). The bridge creates its own Wifi network (you can also have it join an existing network if you already have a boat Wifi system). It defaults to transmitting via UDP; that should be simpler than TCP, but I didn't see a signal over UDP, so I switched to TCP and everything worked fine.

We've tried a few iOS charting applications, but always come back to Navionics. I know there are more powerful options, but it's seemed like the best combination of charts and user interface for us. Navionics added support for AIS last year, and we used it last year. and we used it last season. I found it to be a bit flaky - occasionally I'd see a target disappear and then (seemingly magically) reappear a few minutes later. I'm not sure if that's the NMEA link, the Yakker unit, the brand-new AIS feature in Navionics, or ???.

Sorry, I didn't think to take any screenshots, but you can look at the official website at and at Panbo's reviews including:

(Note that Navionics / Garmin has been working on the issues Panbo mentioned - hopefully it will be smoother next year).

Cost: ~$50
Time: ~2 hours (mostly testing and playing with it on the iPad)

Attachments

Nov 8, 2019
Benetau 19 La Spezia
NMEA -> Wifi Bridge (AIS on the iPads)

We've really appreciated the integrated AIS receiver in our Standard Horizon GX-2200 VHF. But the screens (on the unit itself and on the RAM3 remote microphone) are really small, so it's hard to keep track of more than a couple AIS targets (and as Class B transmitters grow in popularity, there are a lot more targets than there were a few years ago).

The GX-2200 includes NMEA 0183 output, and NMEA -> Wifi bridges are also getting cheaper than they once were. I used the 'Yakker' model. They also have a 2-port model and a few other products for reasonable prices, but the single-port is fine for this application; they also sell on eBay as well if you prefer ordering that way.

Wiring is really simple - just power and the NMEA leads from the back of the VHF; I just stuck the bridge to the top of the VHF with double-sided tape (hope you can ignore the dirty VHF. Other projects ongoing too...)

I configured the VHF to include AIS and GPS information on the NMEA output (the setup is in the VHF manual, and pretty straightforward). The bridge creates its own Wifi network (you can also have it join an existing network if you already have a boat Wifi system). It defaults to transmitting via UDP; that should be simpler than TCP, but I didn't see a signal over UDP, so I switched to TCP and everything worked fine.

We've tried a few iOS charting applications, but always come back to Navionics. I know there are more powerful options, but it's seemed like the best combination of charts and user interface for us. Navionics added support for AIS last year, and we used it last year. and we used it last season. I found it to be a bit flaky - occasionally I'd see a target disappear and then (seemingly magically) reappear a few minutes later. I'm not sure if that's the NMEA link, the Yakker unit, the brand-new AIS feature in Navionics, or ???.

Sorry, I didn't think to take any screenshots, but you can look at the official website at and at Panbo's reviews including:

(Note that Navionics / Garmin has been working on the issues Panbo mentioned - hopefully it will be smoother next year).

Cost: ~$50
Time: ~2 hours (mostly testing and playing with it on the iPad)
I found the AIS integration in Aqua Map much reliable. I use it alongside Navionics and the combination USACE surveys/SonarChart is invaluable in ICW.

• Helpful