Sailing and Philosophy

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
See what you started Jim... Jeez..!
NOT me!!!:badbad:
It was @Will Gilmore when he started this Thread about sailing on ABSTRACT waters.:p
_____
BTW a nice summary on Venus and the Mayans. The Comet Venus started the 55 year event. Supposedly the Orbit degraded to 20 years and thus the Mayan's math system of 20 instead of 10. It might also be from 10 fingers and 10 toes to count on. Who knows?

Venus's atmosphere has a lot of CO2, which is the major component of Comets. That amount of CO2 cannot be explained by the Mass of Venus vs its proximity to the Sun. Giving Rise to the postulate that Venus arrived late, after the planets were formed.
____
The 5 legged stool has been shown to have the best stability versus cost of manufacture.:rolleyes:

If my Graduate School Gaming Theory memory is right, the 29th element in the Fibonacci series is Double Precision match to the Golden Section.
Jim...

PS: Why Gaming Theory In Grad School? Engineers are always searching for the Optimums.:biggrin:

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Here’s my contribution...
1/3 = .333333...
1/3 x 3 = 1
Therefore .3333333... x 3 = 1
However, I’m not so sure. Seems a lot like saying parallel lines converge at infinity.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Kermit, JS is right and if you hadn't heard it in a college history class you'd be asking...Ah... oh yeah, you did ask.
Well the pie cutter thing is not true, I don't think. Archimedes is reported to have discovered the principles of displacement while taking a bath after being asked to figure out if the king's jeweler had cheated the king and not used all the gold he said he used. The legend is that Archimedes got so excited that he leapt from his bath and ran naked through the streets of Syracuse yelling. "Eurika!" (translation: "I have found it!"). He supposedly used mirrors to intensify the Sun's rays and concentrate them on the attacking Roman ships and light them on fire as they entered the harbor. He is credited with the use of a huge lever with a hook on one end with which he grabbed the enemy ships, as they pulled up to the quay, and flipped them over. He even invented a type of ballista to use against the Romans. Cicero, the Roman King, gave orders to not kill Archimedes but Archimedes was shot by an arrow from an anonymous foot soldier who likely didn't know who Archimedes was. He, Archimedes, not the anonymous soldier, is famed for the saying, "Give me a lever and a place to stand and I can move the World."
The stuff about Phi (the Golden Mean or Golden Ratio or Golden Section) is all true. and Euclides is the Father of Geometry in that modern Geometry is based upon Eclid's (Euclides) Postulates that define points, lines and the behavior or relationships of lines upon which all Euclidean (Flat plane Geometry) is founded. There are other Geometries, Spherical (That which we use when navigating across larger distances across the Earth's surface, and Hyperbolic Geometry (Bolyai-Lobachevsky Geometry), to name the other two most popular geometries. Interestingly, except for the infamous Parallel Postulate, Euclides' postulates all still apply for those other Geometries.
There is some really funny stuff in the History of Math, Philosophy and Science. There is also some really tragic stuff too. most of the tragedy was/is about jealousy and ego, nothing more.

There is a saying, "Pi is for circles while Phi is for beauty." While Pi actually relates to a useful geometric calculation, Phi seems to be rarely used, but people love the beauty of Phi. I take the philosophical position that the feeling of the experience of beauty is the feeling we experience for truth. When we feel the rightness of something, we are filled with the same feeling we get when experiencing beauty. beauty is the sense of rightness, that things are as they should be, true. Truth and beauty, are inseparable in this way. If we value truth, than we will always find within the truth, beauty. So, Phi, being for beauty is also for truth. Sailing is such. It is the feeling of rightness in the World, truth and beauty as one. I know you all feel it, no mater what your philosophy. you are sailors for that reason.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
1/3 = .333333...
1/3 x 3 = 1
However, I’m not so sure. Seems a lot like saying parallel lines converge at infinity.
Well it is really .9999999....:pimp:
Jim...
OMG!, you have no idea what can of worms you just opened with me. :laugh:
I'll tell you later. I'm going to bed now.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
1/3 = .333333...
1/3 x 3 = 1
Kermit, what you are showing is an argument for the value 0.9999999... = 1.
It goes, 1/3 = 0.3333333... , and 1/3 x 3 = 3/3 = 1 , and 0.3333333... x 3 =0.9999999... , therefore: 0.9999999... = 1.
I spent long hours in my Analysis class arguing that they are not equal, but every mathematician in academe, it seems, feels this is a valid truth. 0.999999... is accepted everywhere as being equal to 1. It isn't. The proof is not valid because the premise is wrong. 1/3 is not equal to 0.3333333... . This is the part that everyone, including those few of us who don't like 0.9999999... = 1. Seems to accept as true. We were taught this equality at such an early stage in our mathematical learning, that we don't question the fact that 0.3333333... is only an approximation. That number never gets to completion. We can use it because it is derived from the operation 1/3, but it we fool ourselves into believing it is all there so if we multiply it by the same denominator we used to derive it, and we get 0.9999999... , then 0.9999999... must be equal to 1. It is useful to believe this is true because this is what you get with a computer (calculator) unless, as with new calculates, there is a function that assumes 0.9999999... = 1, then the calculator will return 1. However, on these calculators, you could enter the number 0.999999999999999999999 to the limit of the calculator's float place and multiply it by 1 and it will give you 1 as an answer. An inaccuracy from the other end.
The answer is usually 0.9999999... is intended to equal 1, so it works best to treat it like 1.

This gets into the whole nature of infinity and multiple infinities. Even my professor had a hard time with the concept of multiple infinities. Cantor is the mathematician who proved multiple infinities. It drove him insane and he killed himself. So, maybe we should venture into these waters very cautiously because, "HERE BE MONSTERS". :yikes:

- Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
We have a new Thousandaire!! @Will Gilmore
Whooo Hoooo!!!
I got to make @Kermit a Thousandaire too!:)
Jim...
:wow3:

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

:rolleyes: I don't know what to say :redface:
:yeah::dancing::clap::laugh::dancing::clap::yeah::dancing::laugh::thumbup::dancing::clap::clap::dancing::clap::yeah::dancing::)

Thank you James and everyone! I am humbled. Wait, no. One is not humbled by such things, quite the opposite. I promise not to let it go to my head :liar:.
Drinks are on me! (as long as the drinks don't cost me any money). Everyone, buy yourself a:beer:. Cheers:D!
I love you all. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Actually SBO Contributors are like Mathematical Numbers in many ways.
@Will Gilmore is Transcendental
@Kermit is sometimes Irrational leading to Humor.
@jssailem is a Series of continuing knowledge.
Many are Integers which are rounded to simple solutions.

A few deal with the Imaginary, but still seem to be good Sailors.

Some are yet to be Defined like [A/0]

Happy Sailing in Abstract Waters...
Jim...

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Actually SBO Contributors are like Mathematical Numbers in many ways.
@Will Gilmore is Transcendental
@Kermit is sometimes Irrational leading to Humor.
@jssailem is a Series of continuing knowledge.
Many are Integers which are rounded to simple solutions.

A few deal with the Imaginary, but still seem to be good Sailors.

Some are yet to be Defined like [A/0]

Happy Sailing in Abstract Waters...
Jim...
I wish I had thought of that.

So, James, does that make you Whole or Natural? Really there's zero difference.

-Will ("keeping it Real", or not, Dragonfly)

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
Well it is really .9999999....:pimp:
Jim...
I guess I left that part out. Therefore .99999... = 1
That’s the part that sounds a lot like parallel lines converge at infinity. (And you wonder why I did so poorly in Geometry.)

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
“...to name the other two most popular geometries.”
Now there’s an oxymoron for you.
They are the "most" popular. That still doesn't make them popular.
;)
Good point Kermit.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
does that make you Whole or Natural?
It makes me Practical and sometimes Factorial. [based on a pun on Facts]
The old joke about the Mathematician and the Engineer arguing football penalties.
The argument winner would get to kiss the beautiful Cheerleader waiting just inside the End Zone line.

The Mathematician: If I get the repeated penalty of Half the Distance to the Goal, I will never get the kiss.:(
The Engineer: Who cares about that penalty, I will get there for ALL Practical Purposes!;)
_______
Thus 0.99999999 = 1 for All Practical Purposes:pimp:
Jim...

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
parallel lines converge at infinity.
Actually in Spherical Geometry this his not true. Just ask a Practical Sailor.
______
Two fellows were walking down the street.
Fellow L is a Landlubber
Fellow S is a Sailor

L notices S is walking closely behind. L gets a bit nervous. L turns left and right, and S continues to Follow L.
Finally L turns to confront S.
L: Why are you following me?:cuss:
S: Actually YOU are following me, but just at a longer distance! :p

Jim...

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
It makes me Practical and sometimes Factorial. [based on a pun on Facts]
The old joke about the Mathematician and the Engineer arguing football penalties.
The argument winner would get to kiss the beautiful Cheerleader waiting just inside the End Zone line.

The Mathematician: If I get the repeated penalty of Half the Distance to the Goal, I will never get the kiss.:(
The Engineer: Who cares about that penalty, I will get there for ALL Practical Purposes!;)
_______
Thus 0.99999999 = 1 for All Practical Purposes:pimp:
Jim...
That reminds me. Did you hear about the constipated mathematician?
He worked it out with a pencil.