Sailing and Philosophy

JamesG161

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I'm hoping to sail into abstract waters
I hear Pirates sail there often.:yikes:

So be careful they don't SUBtract from your ABStract sailing and DEtract from your sailing fun.

_____
You can avoid Pirates by staying on Euclide's Parallels and don't have a point of intersection.;)
Jim...

jssailem

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Just trying to play within the theme.. Or is that meme now a days.

JamesG161

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Prime Integer Reciprocal Arc Trinomial Equation Squared?
Nope!
It stands for the guy who tastes pies at the bakers.
Pie Rater.
_____

Actually the first Pie Rater was Archimedes. He worked his father's bakery. He kept slicing up pies to sell them cheaper and by the slice.;)

He divided in to 8th, but due local currency devaluation caused by the Romans attacking, he tried 16ths.

He went home frustrated and gazed at the stars to notice the multiple stars in a near Pie shape.

He ran back the bakery to divide the Pie into 32nds. Carefully he cut, but became Irrational at the number of slices.
He then declared his thin cuts to be a close approximation of pie π.
____
He dreamed of thinner slices, and when captured by the Romans, he wouldn't discount his father's pie and was put to death by the Roman's sharper pie cutter.
His last words were...
"Do not disturb my Pies":pimp:

Jim...

PS: it was "Do not disturb my circles" as legend has it.

jssailem

Oct 22, 2014
A true southern story teller. Tall tales of the mathematical persuasion.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
I hate math. All that magnetic deviation and tidal current sideswipe thingee stuff. No wonder we like the simple pleasures. Like a single malt.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I hate math. All that magnetic deviation and tidal current sideswipe thingee stuff. No wonder we like the simple pleasures. Like a single malt.
I prefer quadruples, myself. I think it was the Athenians who killed Archimedes, though. That was after he torched a couple of them with a parabolic mirror and flipped one with a giant lever. If only he'd had a better place to stand.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Eurika! I just check and it was the Romans who killed Archimedes. Sorry for that.:oops:

MIT and Myth Busters both tried to replicate Archimedes' mirror defence against the attacking, ahem, Roman ships. Neither got their mock ships to light on fire. I believe they did get the ships to smoke a little. That may have been enough to generate a report of ships catching on fire in ancient times.
We can talk about the weight of our sailboats by referring to their displacement, because of Archimedes and his need to take baths. Oh yeah, and the problem given to him by the king to determine if the jeweler who made the crown had cheated him by replacing some of the gold with gold mixed with lead. Archimedes determined that lead, almost half the weight of gold, would displace more water for the same weight. Thus, by submerging the crown and measuring the amount of water it displaced, the materials used could be determined. I understand the jeweler was found to have cheated the king. And, Archimedes invented the practice of streaking.

-Will (Dragonfly)

JamesG161

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
it was the Romans who killed Archimedes
The reason was they had the sharpest Pie Cutters for about 800 years.

Archimedes invented the practice of streaking
While streaking about the King's Jewels, he revealed his family "Jewels", but unfortunately it was Winter in Sicily which got him a nickname, he never lived down...
"Pee Wee"
______
His determination of Hydrostatics, the volume to mass relationship of objects, also coined the other descriptions when Archimedes ran naked through the streets.
Citizen A: Did you see that Pie maker Archimedes running naked again?
Citizen B: Shrugs and replied...
"Whatever Floats his Boat"
Citizen A: I think he has lost his Center of Gravity.

Jim...

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Pee Wee Pie Cutter, the principle wedge maker and scam investigator to the king was the title that later appeared on his tomb stone.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Last edited:

JamesG161

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
When plotted out, her movements across the sky inscribed a pentagram, thus Venus also had a relationship with the "Golden Mean". The Pentagram was the symbol of the Pythagoreans and stood for completeness.
@jssailem if you liked the Archimedes lore, just wait until we discuss the Fibonacci Numbers approaching the Golden Section [Mean] as it relates to optimum gambling bets and the Pentagram [spooky]. Remember the Number 5 is a Prime Number!:yikes:
Jim...

PS: Venus lore: Venus is postulated to have been a Comet that passed by the Earth every 55 years. A near collision causing Venus to began its orbit and causing our Earth to Wobble more. Venus never appeared on the early Mayan star charts.:stir:

PSS: Sailing on Abstract waters.

Last edited:

jssailem

Oct 22, 2014
As a start... to this engrossing meme...

Challenging your inner Renaissance man....

Last edited:

JamesG161

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Start with the ratio of Fibonacci's adjacent numbers , from the meme, 8/13 ≈ ? next in series is 13/21 ...21/34 .. on and on...
And soon... The Golden Section.... spooky:shhh:

Trivia: When the early mathematician laid out a perfect graphical Triangle, they used a drawing compass and a straight edge. Many sided figures were easily done in this manner, except a Pentagon.:stir:

Jim...

JamesG161

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Drawing polygons with a compass and straight edge...
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...165C1B4A385E923BE564165C1B4A385E&&FORM=VDRVRV

Now try a Pentagon. Hehe

The Rule of Thirds is a rough approximation kinda like π ≈ 3. Close enough, if drinking and gambling.
The real math formula for the Golden Section.
= (1+√5) / 2 ≈ 1.618033988.... [note the square root of 5]:stir:
Phi=

1/ᵠ = The Fibonacci ratio;) = 0.618035512320538... ≈.6666... or 2/3.... roughly:p

Jim...

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
The Fibonacci sequence is a sequence of construction. Take a square, place it against another square (1+1), add another set based on the previous operation (+2), take another just like the last two operations that connect them (+3), ...
Nothing you don't already know, but this is just a simple construction algorithm. What is interesting is how it builds the shapes and World in such an irrational (5^(1/2)) way, yet very organized. The Fibonacci sequence approaches the Golden Ratio, it defines the Golden Radio by its limit, but it isn't the Golden Ratio because it never has an end.

Then compare to a circle. Place another equal circle next to it and a third equal circle such that it touches both of the other two. Now you have an equalateral triangle. Keep building until there is one circle in the middle and six around its perimeter. A hexagon, made up of 6 equalateral triangles. From there you have the makings of snowflakes, quartz crystals, computer chips. Somewhere in there is a bee hive and again, the golden ratio.

This is still a mystery to me. Where is the Golden Mean in bees? If you set your compass heading to some northern angle, can you sail around the globe getting farther north and closer to the magnetic pole as you spiral in and transcribe the Golden Volute?

- Will (Dragonfly)

Jun 8, 2018
Hunter H27 Bay St Louis, Mississippi
See what you started Jim... Jeez..!

Jimmy Buffet wrote a song about math... I'll just leave that here for y'all to look up!

Interesting factoid on Venus and the Myans though... They were absolutely terrified of it. It seems everytime it made a close approach to earth some horrible illness or war befell the population.

They may not have mapped a transit of venus per se, but they knew where the planet was going to be, and when.

The Mayans venerated Venus as the basis of the god Kukulkan, elsewhere known as Quetzalcoatl. Unlike its modern, Western interpretation as the planet of love, venus was at that time, associated with war and death. The Mayans even used its appearance to decide when to wage war. The evening version was especially related to war calculations.

There is an interesting correlation between close approaches of Venus and major outbreaks such as the plague and ebola. Theory is that, especially when it transits between the earth and the sun, that bacteria blows off of its upper atmosphere across space on the solar wind, to us... giving us cooties if you will.

I dunno but seems like a fun idea to me!