Sailboat Owner's Guide to Corrosion - Self-Corrosion (Collier 5)

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Just search for images of Russian engineering :yikes: Some impressive stuff, but it doesn't all make sense.
The ultimate hull is a cored, carbon (or even better, boron) fiber unidirectional layup. Use an aramid fiber (Nomex) honeycomb core for best results. It will be MUCH stronger than aluminum, titanium or steel and WAY lighter. Heck, even cored fiberglass panels can be stronger (and WAY lighter) than monolithic steel or titanium panels. Honestly, composites are just better for boat hulls. Maybe steel is still better for ice breakers. :huh:
I'm rather familiar with Russian engineering. Definitely impressive stuff. So it depends upon what you want the hull to do. The problem with cored structures is they can be real light weight and stiff, but when they break, it's not pretty. Stronger is a vague term. I personally prefer steel for hulls. Long list of reasons. But certainly recognize the amazing qualities of composites. As long as they are sound, wouldn't turn most of them down..

I've designed with carbon fiber. Not as easy as one thinks. One problem is you can design it. But the carbon fiber manufacturers may not be making it.

dj

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
I work with composites. No boat stuff, only aerospace but I sail so I pretend I know what I'm talking about ;)
I probably wouldn't jump into composites for deep see pressure. There are probably significant challenges with cored materials under pressure. Even going up to 55,000 feet we need to keep pressure difference in mind and that is nothing compared to 6000 feet under water.
Since this is a corrosion thread, I will say that carbon fiber is treated with more respect than glass when it comes to corrosion. Fastening aluminum structures to carbon fiber requires careful planning. A layer of glass over the CF, then use interfay sealants between the parts, and corrosion inhibitor on the screw heads. Stainless fasteners through aluminum parts into CF panels does provide opportunities for galvanic corrosion which airframe manufacturers have learned a lot about over the years.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Titanium yields without making the noises that steel hulls makes when Submarine makes deep dives.

It was a multi-tube design [I think 3 tubes], in which the outer tube was Titanium. Staged pressure control in the "tubes' allows deeper dives.

Creaking submarines were tracked....
Jim...

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Perry has a good eye for a boat.

Search ”Perry carbon boats”.I believe there are other online reports.

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
Yea I have a zinc on my chain, will try the AL though. Thanks for the info on the maps very cool!