sail dimensions

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
80.34 sf isn’t a sail specification. It is Nothing more than a number you get the when you multiply I and J.

I:
21.92 ft / 6.68 m
J:
7.33 ft / 2.23 m

I *J = 21.92 * 7.33 = 80.34 rounded to two decimal points.

And the mainsail isn’t really 108.06 sf either. It’s the product of multiplying P x E.

The Owner’s manual says the OEM sailplan with main and working jib was 252 sf.

Judy B
sailmaker

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
All I can offer is that the 216 with stock sails has lots of power to move upwind in light air. Downwind is also pretty good but mine came with the stock asym setup so I usually have that up until the wind picks up. The asym in my opinion really makes the boat fun as it turns the boring slog downwind into a more interesting experience. When things start to get breezy I often reef the main as the boat sails a lot better flat (I often single hand so more crew weight would delay the need to reef).

Oct 15, 2019
Hunter 216 St Catharines
80.43 sf isn’t a sail specification. It is Nothing more than a number you get the when you multiply I and J.

I:
21.92 ft / 6.68 m
J:
7.33 ft / 2.23 m

I *J = 21.92 * 7.33 = 80.34 rounded to two decimal points.

And the mainsail isn’t really 108.06 sf either.

The numbers are there, but they don’t represent sail area of real world sails.

Judy B
sailmaker
I'm on a steep learning curve. I've done a lot of sailing but never had to order sails before.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
The centerboard storage is new to me. I'll look for some more info. Thx.
Easy to remove. Make sure pressure is off the lift cable by opening the valve, Pull the cotter pin and stainless pin that holds the jaws to the lift cable, push the entire unit towards the stern and the pin with the white Delrin spacers will pop out of the slot.

Correct storage orientation
B58C6175-14C0-4266-B3A1-3557FF9BAB78.jpeg

A thread to consider if the Sailtec should fail etc.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
What I calculated is Luff=21' Leech= 18' 7" Foot= 8' 7 1/2 "

So of course, now I don't know how to advise the sailmaker.
I don’t think you have a choice on the length of the integrated stay which sort of drives the luff length, unless you want to alter the furler setup. The other two dimensions I “think” (I’m out of my depth here) create the angle the foot of the sail has to the upper decking on the boat. The “bulb” on the cuddy comes into play here. I guess the other factor those dimensions drive is how much the sail interacts with the main. I assume Glen Henderson the designer took all those factors into account a figured out a sail plan that was effective. Start changing the headsail will logically influence the main.

Sort of depends on what your trying to achieve. If your after efficient relatively low cost sails go stock, if your after a high performance/racing level rig have a look at the redesigned version of the 216 the H22-2

As you can see from the photos they went to a square top main and more modern materials. As far as I know no one has retrofitted a 216 with this type of sail rig

Jun 25, 2004
@Cat_hunter

I highly recommend that you ask the sailmaker how to proceed, not other boat owners who don't really know enough to help you. If the sailmaker can't tell you, find another sailmaker via recommendation, even if the price is higher.

I really think you should stop trying to figure out how to design your own sail and asking for design advice here. You aren't getting good answers, IMO. When it comes to design, you should ask the sail maker what he or she recommends to suit your needs, and then follow the recommendations.

Nevertheless, I'm going to give you some advice on how to interact with a competent sailmaker, based on my own years as a sailmaker.
  1. Give the pics and exisitng measurements to a sailmaker.
  2. Give the sailmaker a copy of the owners manual at: https://sbo.sailboatowners.com/downloads/Hunter_216_85696730.pdf
  3. Tell the sailmaker what you want the sail to do. Don't try to design it yourself!
  4. Then follow the detailed instructions your competent sailmaker gives you.

Look at page 21 from the manual below
There is supposed to be a short pendant between the mast tang and the upper swivel. See page 21.
The head and tack of the sail should be attached with an adjustable lashing to the thimble, so you can adjust is as needed for either shrinkage or stretch over the life of the sail.

Judy B
sailmaker.

PS. Are you an engineer or architect? They can be their own worst enemy when it comes to buying new sails because they try to do it all themselves.

Hunter_216_forestay-fuler-detail.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2019
Hunter 216 St Catharines
@Cat_hunter

I highly recommend that you ask the sailmaker how to proceed, not other boat owners who don't really know enough to help you. If the sailmaker can't tell you, find another sailmaker via recommendation, even if the price is higher.

I really think you should stop trying to figure out how to design your own sail and asking for design advice here. You aren't getting good answers, IMO. When it comes to design, you should ask the sail maker what he or she recommends to suit your needs, and then follow the recommendations.

Nevertheless, I'm going to give you some advice on how to interact with a competent sailmaker, based on my own years as a sailmaker.
  1. Give the pics and exisitng measurements to a sailmaker.
  2. Give the sailmaker a copy of the owners manual at: https://sbo.sailboatowners.com/downloads/Hunter_216_85696730.pdf
  3. Tell the sailmaker what you want the sail to do. Don't try to design it yourself!
  4. Then follow the detailed instructions your competent sailmaker gives you.

Look at page 21 from the manual below
There is supposed to be a short pendant between the mast tang and the upper swivel. See page 21.
The head and tack of the sail should be attached with an adjustable lashing to the thimble, so you can adjust is as needed for either shrinkage or stretch over the life of the sail.

Judy B
sailmaker.

PS. Are you an engineer or architect? They can be their own worst enemy when it comes to buying new sails because they try to do it all themselves.

View attachment 171003
Thx for advice, I'm sure you've seen enough problem customers. No, not an engineer, just a little knowledge, the tendency to over analyse, and worried about getting the right thing. I just wanted the default sails, nothing fancy. This all started when the I gave the sailmaker the numbers he asked for and he responded with a design that so totally different to the the current sail I had to investigate and went down the rabbit hole.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
I just wanted the default sails, nothing fancy.
As I mentioned above you can buy them here at the SBO store and know they will work.

You should also consider the “mast chock support” under rigging and spars, you can step the mast at the recommended hole and the chock helps the mast quite a bit with the correct shroud tension.

BTW the diagram on page 21 isn’t completely accurate as there isn’t any “8 jib tack tie” on either of the two stock jibs I’ve had.

Jun 25, 2004
There’s no such thing as “stock sails”. There are sails that came with the boat, but even those can be different from one hull number to the next.

Some sails are built with minimal construction feature, while others include more features that help them hold their shape longer.

IMO, An adjustable lashing of low stretch line installed at the tack is a very useful feature. It only costs a dollar more than webbing during construction. Most higher end lofts include this kind lashing as a standard feature on Headsails with wire luff.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@Cat_hunter
As a former dealer specializing in small boats for many mfgs., I was most involved with the Hunter small boats. What I am surprised the first question was never asked. Which model boat do you have will resolve a lot.
There is on this site BOAT INFORMATION. Select that site and pick Hunter resources. Select the model boat and look at specs and stroll down thru downloads.
I will be back at home since I am flying back home this weekend but would be available to talk with you. If so send me a private message, I can call and my policy all info is confidential
Crazy Dave Condon

Jun 25, 2004
This all started when the I gave the sailmaker the numbers he asked for and he responded with a design that so totally different to the the current sail I had to investigate and went down the rabbit hole.
Please let us know what you finally decide to get, or what your sailmaker advises!:)