sail dimensions

Oct 15, 2019
Hunter 216 St Catharines
Hi, In the process of measuring for new sails, it seems the jib that came with boat is not original and it does not seem to match the original size. It measures out at 70 sq ft instead of 80 sq ft. I'd rather go back to the original but I need to ensure the sheet angle stays the same since we have a fixed jib lead. Does anyone have dimensions for an original sail?

Thx.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
1571411093716.png

Use I & J and a little trig and you can calculate your sheet angle needed.

Jan 19, 2010
Or more simply, just measure the height off of the deck where you would like the clew and give that to the sail maker.

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
The owner should get instructions from a sailmaker on how to measure the the rig and deck hardware. It takes a minimum of 7 accurate measurements to determine the 2D design of a headsail ( and a bunch more to double check and catch measurement errors and gather hardware requirements).

I and j are simply two sides of a right triangle that can be used to calculate an approximation of sail size. It’s good enough for a sail maker to do a quote, but wildly insufficient for designing the 2D dimensions of the three sides of a headsail.

Judy B
Semi retired sailmaker

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Hi, In the process of measuring for new sails, it seems the jib that came with boat is not original and it does not seem to match the original size. It measures out at 70 sq ft instead of 80 sq ft. I'd rather go back to the original but I need to ensure the sheet angle stays the same since we have a fixed jib lead. Does anyone have dimensions for an original sail?

Thx.
I have a new this season stock Hunter 216 jib with integrated stay off my boat now that I have put the boat away for storage. I can lay it out and measure but I would need to know what dimensions you need. If you can provide some detail about what your sailmaker is asking for I’m willing to help

Oct 15, 2019
Hunter 216 St Catharines
I have a new this season stock Hunter 216 jib with integrated stay off my boat now that I have put the boat away for storage. I can lay it out and measure but I would need to know what dimensions you need. If you can provide some detail about what your sailmaker is asking for I’m willing to help
Thx, I would like the forestay length, and the three sides. How much stretch allowance did you have?

Oct 15, 2019
Hunter 216 St Catharines
The owner should get instructions from a sailmaker on how to measure the the rig and deck hardware. It takes a minimum of 7 accurate measurements to determine the 2D design of a headsail ( and a bunch more to double check and catch measurement errors and gather hardware requirements). :frown:

I and j are simply two sides of a right triangle that can be used to calculate an approximation of sail size. It’s good enough for a sail maker to do a quote, but wildly insufficient for designing the 2D dimensions of the three sides of a headsail.

Judy B
Semi retired sailmaker
Thx, the boat is all put away for winter and some measurements would be hard to get. I had assumed that a sailmaker would have access to these himself in sort of magical database. I think the issue I would have taking these measurements is the sheet angle is pretty critical for a fixed jib lead and I'm hoping to avoid putting that on for now.

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA

Thx.
Where did you get 80 sf from? Did you use I x J *0.5 = 80? I and J are used for comparison with other boats and that's all they're good for. They have virtually no bearing on the finished dimensions of a sail.

If you were happy with the old sail, you can go with the old dimensions. Your sailmaker can give you specific instructions on how to measure accurately.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Thx, I would like the forestay length, and the three sides. How much stretch allowance did you have?
I will get the sail out and measure it later today.

This is the Wiki on the Hunter 216 if you don’t have it.

The Wiki lists a bunch of info including the sail area of the jib at 80sq ft. I have no idea if that is accurate as I have very little experience in how to measure and then calculate the area of a sail as as @DrJudyB indicated (from vast experience BTW) it’s not just simple math.
The jib on the 216 has the forestay integrated into it and the cleats to manage it are not adjustable so I don’t know if you have a lot of options for new other than material choice and I guess panel layout. I have found that most of the power on this boat comes from the big mainsail.

You mention you have put your bait away so I just want to ensure you are aware of the need to remove the Sailtec hydraulic centreboard lift and then store the unit upright.

Oct 15, 2019
Hunter 216 St Catharines
Where did you get 80 sf from? Did you use I x J *0.5 = 80? I and J are used for comparison with other boats and that's all they're good for. They have virtually no bearing on the finished dimensions of a sail.

If you were happy with the old sail, you can go with the old dimensions. Your sailmaker can give you specific instructions on how to measure accurately.
The 80 sq ft comes from the original specs. We have pretty light wind days during the summer so the extra few feet might be useful.

Jan 19, 2010

Your sailmaker can give you specific instructions on how to measure accurately.
1571424413749.png

If you were happy with the old sail, you can go with the old dimensions.
.... it seems the jib that came with boat is not original and it does not seem to match the original size. It measures out at 70 sq ft instead of 80 sq ft. I'd rather go back to the original ...

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
So a bunch of pictures attached. Not sure what you mean by stretch allowance???

Entire sail
IMG_5832.JPG

Forestay tack and head
IMG_5825.JPG

IMG_5826.JPG

Leech of sail
IMG_5827.JPG

IMG_5828.JPG

Foot of sail

IMG_5829.JPG

IMG_5830.JPG

IMG_5831.JPG

Oct 15, 2019
Hunter 216 St Catharines
I will get the sail out and measure it later today.

This is the Wiki on the Hunter 216 if you don’t have it.

The Wiki lists a bunch of info including the sail area of the jib at 80sq ft. I have no idea if that is accurate as I have very little experience in how to measure and then calculate the area of a sail as as @DrJudyB indicated (from vast experience BTW) it’s not just simple math.
The jib on the 216 has the forestay integrated into it and the cleats to manage it are not adjustable so I don’t know if you have a lot of options for new other than material choice and I guess panel layout. I have found that most of the power on this boat comes from the big mainsail.

You mention you have put your bait away so I just want to ensure you are aware of the need to remove the Sailtec hydraulic centreboard lift and then store the unit upright.
The centerboard storage is new to me. I'll look for some more info. Thx.

Oct 15, 2019
Hunter 216 St Catharines

Entire sail
View attachment 170958

Forestay tack and head
View attachment 170959

View attachment 170960

Leech of sail
View attachment 170961

View attachment 170962

Foot of sail

View attachment 170963

View attachment 170964

View attachment 170965
The stretch allowance is because the sailmaker says sails will stretch over their life and he was intending to make the sails a 1% smaller to allow for this.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
The stretch allowance is because the sailmaker says sails will stretch over their life and he was intending to make the sails a 1% smaller to allow for this.
Out of my depth of knowledge on that one. When I bought our 216 it came with original sails and a new main and jib that the PO had purchased from the SBO store but never used (strange but true). The originals were pretty bagged out so after I sailed the boat a couple of times I switched to the new ones.

In the other 216 thread you posted I had put a link for 216 improvements. Another 216 owner @H216sailor who is an active racer had posted pricing of a new mainsail, you could use that info and the prices from the SBO store to evaluate the pricing from your sailmaker. If your replacing anyway are you considering a more modern design square top main?

Oct 15, 2019
Hunter 216 St Catharines

Entire sail
View attachment 170958

Forestay tack and head
View attachment 170959

View attachment 170960

Leech of sail
View attachment 170961

View attachment 170962

Foot of sail

View attachment 170963

View attachment 170964

View attachment 170965
This is where I got myself confused. My old sail measure exactly the same. When I calc the area based on the photos, it comes to 68.5 sq ft., same as my old sail. I assumed this was an incorrect since the specs say 80 sq ft.

I warmed up the CAD program and figured out what the dimensions needed to be keeping the forestay the same and the LP n the same position to get the 80 sq ft. FYI, What I calculated is Luff=21' Leech= 18' 7" Foot= 8' 7 1/2 "

So of course, now I don't know how to advise the sailmaker.

Oct 15, 2019
Hunter 216 St Catharines
Out of my depth of knowledge on that one. When I bought our 216 it came with original sails and a new main and jib that the PO had purchased from the SBO store but never used (strange but true). The originals were pretty bagged out so after I sailed the boat a couple of times I switched to the new ones.

In the other 216 thread you posted I had put a link for 216 improvements. Another 216 owner @H216sailor who is an active racer had posted priced a new mainsail, you could use that info and the prices from the SBO store to evaluate the pricing from your sailmaker. If your replacing anyway are you considering a more modern design square top main?
I think the sq tops are sexy, but decided to go ahead with a traditional design. I thought the sq top would need too much leech tension to keep from twisting off and the 4:1 mainsheet mounted mid-boom wouldn't be up to task.