RUNNING THROTTLE UP OUT OF GEAR

Feb 23, 2011
HUNTER 386 Pensacola
Hi folks. H386. How do you run up the throttle while not in gear? I seem to have no detent button on the throttle. TIA

kbgunn

Sep 19, 2017
2005 Hunter 33 Lake Lewisville, TX
No button in the center of the gearshift/throttle?
Right.... The single lever throttles have a button to press that allows you to increase the throttle without engaging the transmission/gearbox. On my Hunter 38 it's a black button at the base of the lever like the one shown here. Press in (maybe firmly if it hasn't been used in a while) and hold while moving the lever forward.
Z3516_S02_lg.jpeg

Jul 19, 2013
Pearson 31-2 Boston
Right.... The single lever throttles have a button to press that allows you to increase the throttle without engaging the transmission/gearbox. On my Hunter 38 it's a black button at the base of the lever like the one shown here. Press in (maybe firmly if it hasn't been used in a while) and hold while moving the lever forward.
View attachment 197323
The photo reminds me - I've operated a half dozen Hunter boats with these controls, and they drove me nuts because it was difficult to confirm that the shifter is in neutral as there is no positive detent for neutral. Your experience too...?

Aug 12, 2018
Hunter 26 Carter Lake, Colorado
Some you pull the lever outward on its shaft and then in either direction for revs without gear.

(technically it’s not a throttle on a diesel, it’s a fuel delivery rate control, I’m drawing a blank on what you’d call it though)

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
.....H386. How do you run up the throttle while not in gear? I seem to have no detent button on the throttle...............
I also had a Hunter 386 and now 46. To run the engine rpm out of gear you to depress the black rubber button (with plunger) on the throttle handle. If you are missing one you can order a replacement rubber button and plunger from Lewmar Engine Control Mechanism | Lewmar

1629377813107.png

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
TES 246 Versus near Vancouver, BC
(technically it’s not a throttle on a diesel, it’s a fuel delivery rate control, I’m drawing a blank on what you’d call it though)
We're having similar discussions in the electric vehicle industry. You still sometimes hear "throttle" (or even "gas pedal"!), but the most common substitute seems to be "accelerator." Somehow, that doesn't sound right for a boat, though. But "power lever" is clumsy. Any other options?

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
Some you pull the lever outward on its shaft and then in either direction for revs without gear.

You call it the throttle.

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
The GM Series Operation Manual, published by Yanmar, repeatedly refers to it as a "throttle." Ditto for the GM/HM Workshop Manual (not published by Yanmar but an outstanding resource).

Good enough for me.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
technically it’s not a throttle on a diesel, it’s a fuel delivery rate control,
That's about the closest I've seen here. The correct term from the manufacturer is called a "governor". It's purpose is to control the speed of the prop as it's coming out of the water and then digging back in when when in rough sea. When you increase the throttle, you are increasing the governor speed adjustment.

And rather than finishing up with the usual dumbass phrase of "that's a fact", this is taken from my Yanmar service manual.

1629395202920.png

in

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
We're having similar discussions in the electric vehicle industry. You still sometimes hear "throttle" (or even "gas pedal"!), but the most common substitute seems to be "accelerator." Somehow, that doesn't sound right for a boat, though. But "power lever" is clumsy. Any other options?

Flux Capacitor Actuator