Ruined mast or not a big deal?

cstan

Apr 3, 2024
Catalina c-27 Great salt lake
While hope springs eternal, bent masts do not spring back. A mast that has a curvature due to lack of support will have a very gentle large radius curve. The photos posted by the OP do not show a large radius curve. The bend is a short radius curve at the point where the compression loads are very high. This compromises the integrity of the mast column.

Closer photos of the mast section near the spreaders would be helpful to better understand the mast's integrity and the nature of the bend. However, I think the optimism expressed here is misplaced. I've seen bendy unsupported masts, I have one, this bend is unlike the naturally occurring large radius bend seen on bendy masts.
Thanks for the info, posted a few more photos in a reply. Looks to me like the mast is slightly pinched in where the spreaders attach.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
It looks like to me that IMG_1250 shows a dent right at the spreader base. Prolly no compression sleeve.

cstan

Apr 3, 2024
Catalina c-27 Great salt lake
I am not familiar with how the spreaders are attached on the 27 but I know how they are attached on the 30 and the 25. If they are like the 30, there is a thru bolt that has a compression tube inside the mast ( basically an aluminum, maybe stainless tube) the bolt goes thru. The compression tube keeps the mast from pinching when the bolt is tightened. I do know of at least one mast where the compression tube was left out and the mast was slightly pinched (dented) Good news the mast didn't collapse. Might be worth checking out. If it is there, be careful to not let the come off the bolt because it is a pain to put it back on. Hunt around on the following site and you will see the tube and also a retrofit of a new version of the spreader attachment which shows what I mean.

great find. That would track with the damage that im seeing. it looks like the spreaders are pushed in and the mast is depressed where the spreaders connect. I may have to remove them and check if that part is missing. thanks!

BarryL

May 21, 2004
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 Mt. Sinai, NY
Hello,

IMHO you can't tell anything about the mast when it is down. The mast relies on the stays and shrouds for support. When the mast is up and properly tuned it may have a completely different appearance.

Note there are boats with unstayed masts, but that is NOT a Catalina 22. I bet that if rotate the mast in the other direction you'll see the same curve in the other direction.

The mast on a C 22 is light enough that you could just step it, tune it, and see for yourself.

Good luck,

Barry

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Thanks for the info, posted a few more photos in a reply. Looks to me like the mast is slightly pinched in where the spreaders attach.
Yep, that's what I saw in the first photos. Earlier comments about the absence of a compression tube for the bolts are probably correct. How the bend got there is anybody's guess, could be over tightening the mounting bolts, too much shroud tension, dropping the mast, a god awful jibe or who knows. It strength and safety does need to be addressed.

Sorry you're having a poor first boat experience. :(