Ruined mast or not a big deal?

cstan

Apr 3, 2024
Catalina c-27 Great salt lake
Just purchased my first boat, a 1974 Catalina 27 and realized while I was getting everything setup that there is a slight bend in the mast near the spreaders. Is this a big deal and will it need to be repaired or replaced or will it straighten out after the rigging is up and adjusted?

Attachments

cstan

Apr 3, 2024
Looks like a dent at the spreaders. That's a bad place for a dent. They probably dropped it. If it is like I see it, it is either fatal or needs serious, well thought out reinforcement, depending on your sailing plans.
Thanks for the reply, that was my fear. First time buying a boat I thought I looked at everything I could. Didn’t think to check if the mast itself had a dent in it.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The dent is not good. The mast needs to be in column for the high loads to be safely transmitted into the hull, the dent will weaken the mast and could cause it to fail.

To safely see what happens when a tube goes out of column, take an empty aluminum soda or beer can, set it on a flat surface and then stand on it. It will support your weight. While standing on the can have someone use a pencil or a pen and tap the side of the can, this will move the sides of the can out of column and the can will collapse. The loads are a little different on a mast, however the effect is the same, the column fails.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Nice Call @thinwater . Solid advice for @cstan .

And I like the new Avatar.. Your boat sailing flat out. Such enjoyment.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I'll agree that the 2nd picture looks a little like a dent at the spreader, but It also appears that there may be a shadow that is causing an illusion, but we can't really tell from a photo. I suspect that you could tell us without any mistake if there is a dent or not.

I say this because the 1st picture doesn't really give any impression of a dent, but it does show the column in a smooth curve from tip to toe that could indicate a set from years of improper tuning.

If you can't really see a well-defined dent (crimped metal), I'll suggest that you can put the mast up and take out the curve when tuning the rig.

What do you know about the history of this boat? Did the previous owner sail it for years in this condition? It wouldn't surprise me if you can straighten it out in the tuning a sail along happily.

My main point is ... I think you need an on-site assessment because we just can't see any of the details from these 2 long-range photos. Sure, it's easy to say it's dented and unsafe. It doesn't look that extreme to me, but I can't see it up close and it's not my safety at risk.

Last edited:

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
No Internet forum can substitute for on site inspection. :biggrin:

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
A badly tuned mast will show that curvature, as well as an un-stepped mast left unsupported in the middle. The posts about the dent have to be taken seriously. That dent could also be the result of the spreader being pulled, in which case the aluminum around the spreader base will be seriously weakened, to the point of possibly coming apart, opening up like a zipper. If the dent is not serious, then the mast could possibly be straithened by tuning. But a serious on-site inspection is called for before you step it back up. Good luck and welcome to the sailing world !

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
While hope springs eternal, bent masts do not spring back. A mast that has a curvature due to lack of support will have a very gentle large radius curve. The photos posted by the OP do not show a large radius curve. The bend is a short radius curve at the point where the compression loads are very high. This compromises the integrity of the mast column.

Closer photos of the mast section near the spreaders would be helpful to better understand the mast's integrity and the nature of the bend. However, I think the optimism expressed here is misplaced. I've seen bendy unsupported masts, I have one, this bend is unlike the naturally occurring large radius bend seen on bendy masts.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
...To safely see what happens when a tube goes out of column, take an empty aluminum soda or beer can, set it on a flat surface and then stand on it. It will support your weight. While standing on the can have someone use a pencil or a pen and tap the side of the can, this will move the sides of the can out of column and the can will collapse. The loads are a little different on a mast, however the effect is the same, the column fails.
This is a good example of something you should take the author's word for. Don't try this at home!
And I agree that mast is dented and not reliable.

Jan 21, 2009
Catalina 30 Lake Perry, KS
I am not familiar with how the spreaders are attached on the 27 but I know how they are attached on the 30 and the 25. If they are like the 30, there is a thru bolt that has a compression tube inside the mast ( basically an aluminum, maybe stainless tube) the bolt goes thru. The compression tube keeps the mast from pinching when the bolt is tightened. I do know of at least one mast where the compression tube was left out and the mast was slightly pinched (dented) Good news the mast didn't collapse. Might be worth checking out. If it is there, be careful to not let the come off the bolt because it is a pain to put it back on. Hunt around on the following site and you will see the tube and also a retrofit of a new version of the spreader attachment which shows what I mean.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Also, check your survey for relevant comments, altho a hull surveyor might not have looked up there. Some buyers do get a rig survey, and it's often worth every penny.
Also, a spar maker can usually make a reinforcing part for it; that happens on other boats now and then. Probably not cheap, but way less than starting over with a new spar section.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
I'll agree that the 2nd picture looks a little like a dent at the spreader, but It also appears that there may be a shadow that is causing an illusion, but we can't really tell from a photo. I suspect that you could tell us without any mistake if there is a dent or not.

I say this because the 1st picture doesn't really give any impression of a dent, but it does show the column in a smooth curve from tip to toe that could indicate a set from years of improper tuning.

If you can't really see a well-defined dent (crimped metal), I'll suggest that you can put the mast up and take out the curve when tuning the rig.

What do you know about the history of this boat? Did the previous owner sail it for years in this condition? It wouldn't surprise me if you can straighten it out in the tuning a sail along happily.

My main point is ... I think you need an on-site assessment because we just can't see any of the details from these 2 long-range photos. Sure, it's easy to say it's dented and unsafe. It doesn't look that extreme to me, but I can't see it up close and it's not my safety at risk.
Agree with Scott; the photo is full of shadows and a better, closer-up, picture of the dent - if there is one- is needed. From the initial photo it looks like it could also be a stain from drips coming off the steaming light.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Just a note: The OP @cstan posted this same question over in Cruisers an Sailors but included two additional photos. Looking at the third photo in that set makes me think there is not a dent in the mast and it may simply just be shadows. Hard to say without better photos.

dj

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
If there is a dent in the mast then it may not be safe to use. The bend in the photo may just be from the way it is laying, supported by the traveler. If you flop it over the other way, does the bend go the other way?

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@cstan

please post additional photos so I can give you my thoughts on this mast issue. As a former dealer for Catalina, I learned a lot from Frank Butler and was often included on designs for all boats under 30 feet. I too question whether or not you have a dent thinking the bend was due to poor tuning

cstan

Apr 3, 2024
@cstan

please post additional photos so I can give you my thoughts on this mast issue. As a former dealer for Catalina, I learned a lot from Frank Butler and was often included on designs for all boats under 30 feet. I too question whether or not you have a dent thinking the bend was due to poor tuning
let me know if these are better to see. From what I can tell it looks like the spreaders are slight indented in and the mast is slightly bent at the location. I just emailed a master rigger to ask if there is any way to reinforce the location without having to get a whole new mast. Thanks!

Attachments

cstan

Apr 3, 2024
I am not familiar with how the spreaders are attached on the 27 but I know how they are attached on the 30 and the 25. If they are like the 30, there is a thru bolt that has a compression tube inside the mast ( basically an aluminum, maybe stainless tube) the bolt goes thru. The compression tube keeps the mast from pinching when the bolt is tightened. I do know of at least one mast where the compression tube was left out and the mast was slightly pinched (dented) Good news the mast didn't collapse. Might be worth checking out. If it is there, be careful to not let the come off the bolt because it is a pain to put it back on. Hunt around on the following site and you will see the tube and also a retrofit of a new version of the spreader attachment which shows what I mean.

thanks, good info. The way it’s almost pinched in makes me think that part may be missing?