Rode Courtesy

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Another senerio I saw today: one boat there already. More came in. Then the first boat shouted that it needed more room because someone was coming to raft with them. Does the first boat then become the last boat? Do they have a claim for more water?
Savcies? I don't think so. Anyway rafted boats swing less not more. I understand why someone wants a private anchorage but that is not a realistic expectation in most areas. If you arrive early and put out 10:1 scope in the name of safety people are going to squeeze in and "Violate" your space. You will be an irritant to folks who maybe couldn't leave work earlier or whatever. If the rule were the first there gets as much room as he/she likes than sailboats would never get to anchor. You can't be a hog about it. There is usually a local culture that defines this issue. In Coecles Harbor on Shelter Island we would anchor in 7 to 10 feet. Most boats do pretty much the same and it seems to work out. Sometimes a boat would pass over our anchor as it swang on its. Not that big of a deal.

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
I disagree on not power setting the anchor. Around Cuttyhunk, Ma I anchored in 8' low tide and started to gently power set. I was holding fast, not moving at all until we went full throttle. Suddenly we broke free and I found out why...a huge clump of weeds on the anchor. Deeper water had no weeds and we were fine. Went to the outer part of Hadleys Hole and found the same conditions. Another boat took our previous spot over the weeds. That night a strong storm came though and they went zipping by me and came within about 20' of the rocks after they broke free. They were lucky I was on deck doing an anchor watch, it took about 5 blasts of my air horn to wake them up as they went by.

The trick fo me on power setting is to take my time. Throttle up 500 rpm and see what happens and then more. If I'm in soupy mud like the Chesapeake and I can see a VERY slow creep, I'll stop and let the anchor sink in. If a big storm is predicted, I'll power set after a few hours. But if I happen to foul the anchor on the way down I'd like to know. Yea, I'm slowly drifting back when I lay it down but I still like to make sure nothing happened.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I am surprised by the comments criticizing power setting of the anchor. Basically, an anchor that can be pulled out by a sailboat backing down with maybe a 50-hp diesel, but typically much less, at half, even full, throttle is not properly set, or is otherwise on bottom of poor holding, or is somehow fouled, as on someone else’s rode, etc. Post #42 above gives a very good example of common fouling. Of course, an inexperienced boater lacking technique could make a total mess of the situation. But it’s hard for me to imagine an experienced boater dropping anchor in light airs during an afternoon with no change through the day, then turning in for the night w/o testing the anchor’s set using the diesel.:rolleyes:

My anchor has frequently dragged the bottom for some distance while attempting to power set as I describe above. (Post #16 in Best Anchor for Hunter 38 thread.) This typically leaves me displaced from where I wished the boat to lay; but then I’m “in.” If I don’t like where I end up I can pick up and try again, which we sometimes do. Curious PsOV:doh:!!

Last edited:

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I have been surprised by the comments criticizing power setting of the anchor. Basically, an anchor that can be pulled out by a sailboat backing down with maybe a 50-hp diesel, but typically much less, at half throttle is not properly set or is otherwise on bottom of poor holding, or is somehow fouled, as on someone else’s rode, etc. Post #42 above gives a very good example of common fouling. Of course, an inexperience boater lacking technique could make a total mess of the situation. But it’s hard for me to imagine an experienced boater dropping anchor in light airs during an afternoon with no change through the day, then turning in for the night w/o testing the anchor’s set using the diesel.

My anchor has frequently dragged the bottom for some distance while attempting to power set as I describe above. This typically leaves me displaced from where I wished the boat to lay; but I’m “in.” If I don’t like when I end up I can pick up and try again, which we sometimes do. Curious POVs:doh:!!
Perhaps it has more to do with your anchor tackle not being suitable to your boat or the area you generally anchor in.
For instance, I'm flabbergasted by the number of sailors who use and swear by the Bruce anchor. It was not developed for short term anchoring, but instead to anchor things like oil rigs on a semi-permanent basis in deep water with very heavy chain.
As I mentioned, we anchor as much as 340 nights a year all over the eastern Caribbean on all kinds of bottom, and have not drug once in up to around 60 knots since we upgraded to the Rocna and 1/2" chain.
We carry 5 anchors as I would never use a Rocna on a rocky bottom, but change out to an anchor more suited to that bottom. Though the Rocna seems to work well in the muck in Ft. de France, Martinique, if it didn't then my Fortress would certainly do the job. We even have an anchor to secure our stern to a tree as it's pretty hard to tie a knot in chain, and even were we using line, I'm not a fan of tying to anything which might require me to need cut it to leave in an emergency.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Thanks. That fact that the anchor might drag some or skip a few times before it sets, if it does, certainly might have something to do with the characteristics of the bottom. The POINT, however, is to find that out b/f “shutting down.” I can see no downside to knowing more, rather than less, about how the anchoring is setting, especially in a new spot where ones principal bower might not be the correct one to use, etc., as you say.

PS: I should correct my description from “frequently dragged” to “occasionally dragged” in post #44 above. It appears I created an inaccurate picture.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Finding an anchor or couple of anchors that work in your area is the key in my consideration.

Where @capta can dive, or in some cases just look down into the clear blue water, and see his anchor and the conditions; we are not so fortunate with water temps at 54 degrees F. We rely more on word of mouth, experience, and a little blind faith plus a hard shot of power then back off and wait.

Sailing in the Chesapeake Bay with the sand/mud combinations the testing on the fortress anchor was convincing enough to cause me to buy one. Lighter weight, an improved Danforth design. Totally suitable to the conditions. Others work as well but bring other baggage.

For a great all round anchor the Spade / Mantus / and other similar modern anchors have a place on my boat. Size is always a factor, and in this case bigger is better.

Having adequate machinery to lift a heavy anchor is a prime consideration. I dropped a 15KG Bruce and 40 ft of 3/8's chain in a hurry to stop drift in front of a WA Ferry terminal, when my boat was "new to me", while trying to restart the engine. Once I restarted the power I needed to recover the anchor and chain. Pulling that much chain by hand proved unwieldily. So I tried to use my "new to me" manual windlass. 20 minutes of back and forth, sweat streaming, 4 lengths up 1 length down slippage in the aged windlass taught me a lesson. Don't go and do things without preparation. Try all of the equipment on a "new to you" boat before you need to use it. And Power Windlasses are life savers.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Try all of the equipment on a "new to you" boat before you need to use it. And Power Windlasses are life savers.
Sage advice. I would add: try it, new to you or not, at the start of each cruise, even if only at the slip. After a similar experience as you describe when me windlass froze while anchored in 40 ft, I definitely concluded pulling up anchor & chain by hand is not the way to go.:snooty:

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
On the other hand, I've had outstanding results with my Bruce anchors. Have one on each of my boats. I've used them from the south tip of Texas, around to Annapolis Maryland, through the Keys and through the Bahamas. The ONLY time I ever had one fail to set was off the cafe at Frasier Hogg cay in the Berry's. And there the cruising guides warned that ANY anchor would be hard to set, as the bottom is hard scoured. After three attempts and watching the anchor skate along the bottom like it was conccrete, I took mooring.

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
We use 7:1 on a nylon rode with a boatlength of chain. I find it very difficult to estimate distances on the water. I’ve run only run into crowding issues a few times: the Benjamins in the North Channel; north of Kelly’s Island in Lake Erie on a big holiday weekend; and the north bay of Stuart Island in the San Juans are examples. We’ve never collided at anchor, but a trimaran ended up 10 feet away after a wind shift in the Benjamins. I keep a good watch after anchoring, sometimes I will point at my anchor if someone looks likely to drop near it.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
We use 7:1 on a nylon rode with a boatlength of chain. I find it very difficult to estimate distances on the water. I’ve run only run into crowding issues a few times: the Benjamins in the North Channel; north of Kelly’s Island in Lake Erie on a big holiday weekend; and the north bay of Stuart Island in the San Juans are examples. We’ve never collided at anchor, but a trimaran ended up 10 feet away after a wind shift in the Benjamins. I keep a good watch after anchoring, sometimes I will point at my anchor if someone looks likely to drop near it.
Sometimes a boat looks so close when you are on deck but looks much farther away when you are in the dink. This is something I try to keep in mind when boats are seemingly anchoring too close.

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
:) Capta My boat is a 25 footer. A 65 pound anchor and that much chain would have my bow down!! Now when I was cruising in the 80's on my 35 foot tri, I had a 35 pounder, and mucho 3/8 chain :)

I'm more often than not single hand, so my anchoring technique is like this- I prefer at least 10 feet. 6 feet is too little- got caught in a thunderstorm once anchored in 6 feet, and slammed the bottom . Cracked the hull. 3 1/2 foot draft. Had to haul out and do some glass work.

Anyway, I flake anchor chain out along the side deck, back to shrouds, as many times as I think I'll need and cleat the end. Then motor into where i want to be, knock it out of gear (or let fly sheets), go to bow and as she loses headway, drop the anchor. Let it sit for a minute as the boat settles back, then tug on the rode to feel if ii is set at all. If so, go to cockpit, and let the boat rest while I do the log- engine hours, miles run etc. THEN set harder in reverse, just to be sure

THEN I have A beer :)

Weighing anchor, like in ICW, I crank up, put the auto pilot on, put engine in idle forward, and go to bow- as the boat moves forward, I take in rode and just pile on deck (for now) when the rode is up and down, I snub and let the boat weight yank it out, then just haul the rest aboard. Get into clear area and stow chain unless running ICW- then I leave it piled as an emergency brake :) If I'm heading offshore of course I stow it right then

And jssailem- when I was a LOT younger, and much dumber, I did ride bulls in a rodeo a few times :)

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
Sometimes a boat looks so close when you are on deck but looks much farther away when you are in the dink. This is something I try to keep in mind when boats are seemingly anchoring too close.
A $200 lazer range finder takes the guesswork out of it. I have the same problem estimating distances visually. In the past I was always in a tizzy till I got off the boat into dinghy and looked back. Now I can quickly and accurately gauge distance from all the boats around and make an immediate informed decision as to what to do. Even works in the dark.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
^ I can accurately gauge distances using my thumb. You generally have a fair idea how tall the stick is, and work from there. If a 50' mast is 2 thumbs tall, it is 250 feet away. Easy.

People sense of privacy varies. It's best to think about something else. If you really needed solitude, go somewhere remote and unpopular. Not sayin' it's fair, sayin' it doesn't matter whether it is fair.

Nov 21, 2007
Beneteau Oceanis 34 Kingston, WA
I'm also quite new at this. Also trying to get my head around optimum scope, etc., etc.. Throw in the fact that most places that we set our anchor are COMPLETELY new to us, so we have no idea as to bottom, eventual occupancy on that night, wind patterns at night... I spend most of the evening trying to figure out if I've adequately considered all of the variables.

What we have been doing to keep track of things, is to set a mark at the spot where the anchor touches the bottom, on the chartplotter. I use the measure feature on my chartplotter to estimate the distance from our anchor to our boat, and compare that to the amount of rode that we have paid out, once we have finished setting. And, I also use the radar overlay on the chartplotter to measure and periodically recheck the distance from our boat to our closest neighbors. We moved, significantly, the first very time that we set our anchor in a crowded anchorage, and reset it (successfully) a second time. Lately, we've been successful on our first attempt at setting the anchor so that it doesn't move until we want it to.

As to who and what scope is reasonable or not... Given the conditions and the tides for last Friday; you said in your OP that you set at 6:1 (200'/6 would be about 33 ft. of depth), tide at Bainbridge on Friday was 'low' at about 5 PM at 6.4 ft.. If that was the time that you set, then at the 10 foot 'high' tide at about midnight, you would have had a 5.4:1 scope. And then a scope at low/low tide, at 6 AM, of as much as 7.7:1 with 200 ft. of rode. When would you have needed the maximum scope, and how much, for those conditions? If conditions were mild at the time that you set, and expected to stay that way, would your situation have been OK as it was?

Our most entertaining time, in the last couple of weeks, was in a small bay with about seven boats at anchor (we were number three to arrive), where I saw five different approaches to setting an anchor that night, and an additional six or seven other methods over the next two days. The only thing that was consistent over that time, was that we all seemed to choose a spot to drop our anchors where we were staggered on one side of the bay or the other, rather than all lined up in a single row.