replacing my halyard

Oct 20, 2008
oday 240 nj
I own a 1988 Oday 240. I have my original mast. I want to replace my main halyard. Any thoughts as to the diameter of my rigging (1/2"?) and length I should consider?
Thanks
Ray

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Depends on mast head sheave size, but a 5/16 inch (8 mm) diameter would be adequate and easier to handle than a smaller line and 1/2 inch diameter is too large for that size boat and may not work on your sheave. Suggest getting a caliper and checking what diameter you have now because it might be sized fit-for-purpose for the sheave size. Be sure to select a low stretch line for halyard service. Same question came up on this thread for a Catalina 22 What diameter halyards do you use? | Sailboat Owners Forums and on this thread (see the post #7 by an O'Day 25 owner who uses 5/16 inch) Halyard diameter | Sailboat Owners Forums

This article also calls 5/16 inch for your size sailboat Rope Selection Recommendations.pdf (sailrite.com)

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Length should be twice your mast height plus enough to lead the halyard back to the cockpit (Measure from mast to cockpit) plus another ten feet. If you are buying the line see if you can get a eye splice on one end to retain a shackle for the top of the sail (Add another three feet). It's much more clean than a gnarly old knot.
There may be a specification on the owner resources section on this website. Look in the Manuel page 46.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
It's much more clean than a gnarly old knot.
There is another area of thought regarding halyard termination at a shackle.

While the eye splice onto a shackle is an option, this can contribute to a couple of issues.
  1. jambs of the shackle against the sheave breaking down the sheave edges as the sail is hoisted to the mast head with the shackle and up against the sheave
  2. Poor eye splice construction with a increase of the line diameter at the splice. The larger line is hauled up tight against the mast head /sheave getting stuck or wearing down the splice as the halyard is tightened into the sheave
Just to name two.

A proper halyard hitch knot around a mainsail shackle stops both of these issues. The halyard hitch is compact so does not interfere with raising the sail to the correct height. The size of the knot is larger diameter than the sheave and masthead opening protection for the sheave. Because the knot is visible to the owner when the knot shows signs of wear/age knot can be removed and a new knot quickly tied shortening the halyard by only 4-6 inches.

How to tie the halyard hitch knot.

Consider this option.

Jul 19, 2013
Pearson 31-2 Boston
Ditto 1/2 much too large, 5/16" should be good but get a low stretch line, For halyard advice see