What diameter halyards do you use?

Jun 9, 2016
catalina 22 Spring City, tn
Most things I've seen mention 1/4 inch. I just launched my boat, and we are getting ready to step the mast (first day was getting launched and new motor running). Marina guy suggested replacing halyards while mast is down. Looked at bundle tied at foot of mast and said was 3/8, not1/4, that the 1/4 line there was probably just a flag halyard. I have no problem getting heavier line if a benefit, but dont want issues with too thick for the blocks and such. Also, some line is sized in mm, how do those sizes translate? It is an hour drive to West Marine so I need to have my order planned and called in before I go.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2004
Island Packet IP 32 99 Forked River, NJ
Might be a good idea to know what boat we're talking about. Smaller boat = smaller lines. Sheave width is also important to know. Metric to inch conversion is easily found via Google search.

Jun 9, 2016
catalina 22 Spring City, tn
I thought I posted in catalina 22 forum. That was my intention. Posting from phone so if in wrong place I apologize. Good point on conversions. Old farts like me forget tech is at our fingertips. Heck, I can probably ask Siri!

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
For most craft in the size range I prefer 5/16" halyards and 3/8 sheets.
6mm=1/4
8mm= 5/16
9mm= 3/8

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2004
Island Packet IP 32 99 Forked River, NJ
Well now that we're past that, we prefer the thickest line that'll fit the sheaves. Easier for old hands to grasp.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
The owner's manual calls for 5/16" x 60' for the main, 5/16" x 63' for the jib, and 1/4" x 61' for the spinnaker.

Mar 4, 2016
Catalina 22 Clearlake, Calif.
Gene, are those lengths for halyards to the mast, or as is common, halyards leading to the cockpit? ____Grant.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Gene, are those lengths for halyards to the mast, or as is common, halyards leading to the cockpit? ____Grant.
Cockpit length. Excellent point, I totally didn't think about that. Thank you!

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Length of halyards depend on if you are combo wire rope or total rope too

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Cockpit length halyards would be the tip of the iceberg if you choose that route. To do it right you'll also need a mast plate, blocks, deck organizers and some cleating devices. I used Lewmar clutches on my Mac. I hope the new owner appreciates the money that went into her.

Mar 4, 2016
I will add to the question here. I need to replace my halyards and I want to switch to all line, rather than wire to rope. Since only wire runs through my masthead sheeves at this point, I have no idea if the sheeves are suitable for rope. Would anyone know if a stock 1979 masthead sheeve would take 3/8 line, or should I drop the rig to be sure? Dropping the rig involves turning the boat around and probably making it impossible for people to walk past on the dock while I work. I would rather not need to do that. Thanks Folks. _____Grant.

Mar 4, 2016
Oops, just went and reread the thread and should have asked about 5/16 line. ____Grant.

Mar 4, 2016
Joe! I will try to explain, Halyards can be done several different ways. Full length rope (line) or wire to rope, either wire spliced to the rope or wire with a loop (within a thimble) the you tie the rope to, or even all wire which is not an option with our size boats. My own 22 and most of the ones I have seen have the rope tied to the thimble on the wire. A truly crumby way in my opinion. The knot wont go through the masthead sheeves, so you either cant reach the deck with the wire end of the jib halyard, or if you make the wire part long enough to reach the foredeck, the other end where you tie the line to will come too far down the mast when you raise the sail. A wire to rope splice will run through properly sized masthead sheeves so you dont have that part of the problem, but most wire to rope halyards are fitted to have the wire around a winch when the sails are fully hoisted. Again, not practical in our size boat. All rope eliminates both problems and with modern rope there isnt a stretch issue. I am going to change to all rope, but I may need to change out my masthead sheeves to take the rope. That is what prompted me to ask the question. I hope I havent confused the issue. _____Grant.

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
Let me try to simplify this because there are many good comments but still some confusion...

On the early C-22, "most" boats we typically talk about here, (They may have changed this for the 'new design' @1986 and up, or maybe not until the Mark II), the masthead sheaves are set up for rope to spliced wire halyards. The sheaves are very narrow, only for wire... For Halyards, most people prefer 5/16" or 8mm, but you can still get away with 1/4". For ease on the hands the rule of thumb is bigger is better.

If you want to change to all line halyards you do need to change the sheaves in the masthead and slightly the thin the spacer between the sheave set. All the details can be found in Stingy Sailor's article here;
https://stingysailor.com/2014/05/03/oversize-masthead-sheaves-2/
This article includes the part number for the Ronstan sheaves that will carry an 8mm (5/16") halyard. Keep in mind, this is NOT the "Internal Mast Halyards" modification, your halyards will still be external, including a spinnaker halyard if you choose to use one.

At some point when I finally get to rigging and running rigging on my boat I will be doing Internal Halyards, but not the way you might think... I won't be cutting huge holes in my mast for the exit blocks. I'll be using a different, in my opinion 'safer' method that helps maintain the strength of the spar and actually gives me 5, yes, the ability to have 5 internal halyards. I will probably only use 3 but still have the option for spares.

Another note, I also choose 3/8 for my sheets... again, bigger is easier on the hands. The only drawback is that on smaller winches its hard to get 3 wraps around the drum without the rope kinking and doing all kinds of crazy stuff... maybe thats because my ropes are still new and stiff, not yet broken in... Anyway, I ended up going with a larger self tailing winch anyway.

Mar 4, 2016
CloudDiver, you explained what I suspected, but was hoping was not true. I will have to drop the mast to change the sheaves(better spelling) before I can go to all rope halyards. It will be a good time to run wiring and mount a steaming light to the mast and new coax for the VHF. This shows a truism about boats "any project turns out more complicated than you expect" Thanks for the information. ____Grant.