Halyard diameter

Oct 28, 2013
Hunter 20 Lake Monroe
With the new paint all done and the leaks fixed it is time to get new halyards for our 1983 Hunter 20. It has 1/2" lines for halyards now but they seem rather larger and at some point I read or had someone tell me they were the wrong size and should have been 3/8" lines. Does anyone know the correct size? I have already contacted Hunter and they have all but disowned the older boats like ours and but they did send me all the info they had for the boat which turns out were just copies of the sails brochures. Better than nothing but none of that info said anything about the size of the lines.
Raining again so probably no sailing today. Time to invest in rain gear so we can sail more!

Sam in IN

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
3/8 inch line for the halyards. Not 1/2 as overkill and possibly may not go thru the sheave as easily on top of the mast.

Oct 28, 2013
Hunter 20 Lake Monroe
Thanks

Thanks Dave, appreciate the help. The 1/2" goes through the sheave but that is all it will take. I will get the 3/8" lines ordered. That said the 1/2" is a bit easier to hold on to LOL

Sam in IN

Jun 1, 2004
Hunter 26 Lake Pueblo Colorado
Hey flynhi4u here is where we ordered all our new halyards and running rigging from http://www.cajunrope.com and we are very happy with the quality, and of course their prices were pretty reasonable when compared to other places. They also have complete kits for individual boats. I am not affiliated with them just trying to help out a fellow sailor

Oct 28, 2013
Hunter 20 Lake Monroe
Thanks for the link. Their sizing chart on the halyard page says I need 5/16" lines for the main and jib halyards as well as 5/16" for the sheets. If that will work I am ok with that for the halyards as it is a bit cheaper but I would prefer to use at least 3/8" on the sheets as it is easier to grip.
As far as the shackle type right now we have a snap shackle on the main and headboard shackle on the jib. I would prefer to have a snap shackle on both unless there is some reason I shouldn't.

Sam in IN

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
My O'day 25 uses 5/16 for halyards so not sure why you would need heavier for a 20' boat.
For sheets the O'day is specd for 3/8s but I went 7/16s. Easier to grip but doesn't run through the blocks very well so I will be changing to 3/8s. I guess I mentioned that as a bigger is not always better story.