Replacing mast base plate on 1995 Hunter 26?

DocLex

Sep 14, 2015
Hunter 26 Cave Run Lake, KY
Dang, I broke the hinge (flange) off at the bottom-mast plate through which you place the pin that attaches the mast to the plate on the deck (you might call this plate on the deck a tabernacle, but it is just really a plate with two flanges sticking up that have holes to match the hole in the mast-base plate). Photos below. I've look in owners manuals, and search the internet for help without success. Questions: (1) what is the technical term for the mast-base plate, (2) where can I get a replacement mast-base plate, (3) the old plate is secured to the base of the mast with 2 screws in the front (which I have NOT been able to turn with even the largest screw driver to take them out), and on the back side by 4 rivets through a flange on the mast-base plate that is used to attach the vang to the base of the mast. I assume I can drill the four rivets out on the backside, but how do I get the screws out of the front portion of the plate without damaging the mast (i.e. widening the holes in the mast) so that new screws with new mast bottom plate will be secure in the mast, and (4) any suggestions as to how to go about this entire procedure. Hard to express how depressing this is as I had just set up my rigging for A-spin with help from this forum and hoping to get the boat back in the water after two years on the hard.

Attachments

Jan 18, 2014
Hunter 260 Palm Coast, FL
Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
Try PB Blaster brand penetrant spray on the screws, let it soak like overnight, tap the screws to get some vibration, repeat as needed. Just might loosen them.

DocLex

Sep 14, 2015
You guys are great; brought some sunshine to a rainy day--LOL. Will let you know how this turns out. SAIL ON!

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
We stock the old Z-Spar mast foot/base/pin for the trailerables, and I hate to say it, but the one in the photo isn't a Z-Spar part. I would try SparCraft or http://www.rigrite.com to see if they can help. They probably won't know what you need based on your boat model, so check your mast (near the base) for manufacturer name and model number. That will help.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Phil Herring who owns this site and others is correct on the mast step and mast foot. A good friend of mine, Jim Culibert, now retired from SparCraft as the salesman who would agree with Phil on the parts for your mast but go thru rigrite as you will not get a response from the current sparcraft as they do not answer when you call them. I also concur with Phil but can say the parts were from a Kenyon Isomat mast/boom but they are long gone but in many ways are like SparCraft. I introduced that boat for Hunter and many others like it.

In addition there is a fellow on your lake that goes by CAVERUN with a 240. Look him up.

Feb 18, 2011
Hunter 260 Cave Run Lake, KY
Hey Doc- check your private messages... Thanks for the heads-up CD!

DocLex

Sep 14, 2015
TX. I'm getting back on this after several weeks delay. Others were showing me a Z-spar setup which mine is not. Suggestion is that mine is a Kenyon Isomat setup (rectangular in shape). The search continues as the frustration builds.

DocLex

Sep 14, 2015
Tx for suggesting the Kenyon Isomat as most others thought it to be an Z-spar which it is not. The search now continues after a delay of several weeks.

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 260 winnipeg, Manitoba
Call rig rite and maybe send them a picture of your mast step and plate and they can likely help. It is possible a previous owner changed from the originals. Rig rite does deal parts for zspar, us spar, Kenyon isomat and others.

For turning the screws you could try a hand held impact driver with a screw driver bit in addition to PB blaster or similar.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Have you contacted the people at THIS SITE?

Go here..

http://shop.hunterowners.com/hp/hpcat.php?m=26&c=6

If you don't see the part you need, then click the link that say "Don't see the part you need". So far I have had a REALLY good experience with the fold here. I even ordered a part here (T-bolt) and they emailed me to let me know I ordered the wrong size... they were correct....who fixes a problem before it happens???? Just email these guys send a pic of what you need... and you will have your part in a few days. I know I sound like a commercial but... I've really had that good of an experience with the SBO folk.

DocLex

Sep 14, 2015
UPDATE: Thanks for all the advise. In the 95-degree day I was able to get the mast foot off the mast using PB Blaster and heavy screwdriver with vice grip on handle to unscrew the two bolts in the front, drilled out the two rivets on the back side where the broken flange is located, and removed the center pin within the mast foot (it just slides out). Here are some pictures of the mast foot, the mast with some ID number inscribed on it, and the mast-step plate on the deck of the boat. It is obviously not a Z-spar setup. Will contact Rig Rite and let the forum know what happens.

Attachments

DocLex

Sep 14, 2015
Have you contacted the people at THIS SITE?

Go here..

http://shop.hunterowners.com/hp/hpcat.php?m=26&c=6

If you don't see the part you need, then click the link that say "Don't see the part you need". So far I have had a REALLY good experience with the fold here. I even ordered a part here (T-bolt) and they emailed me to let me know I ordered the wrong size... they were correct....who fixes a problem before it happens???? Just email these guys send a pic of what you need... and you will have your part in a few days. I know I sound like a commercial but... I've really had that good of an experience with the SBO folk.
----------------
Sent email this afternoon as you just suggested, but before I got the foot off the mast (see my recent post above). Tx for the encouragement and we will see what tomorrow brings.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Good luck with your part hunt..... I just had my mast crash down as I was raising it this afternoon..... so I'll be ordering a few parts... probably a mast foot in the works for me as well.....

See my post "PROFANITY FILTER sort of day".

:)

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Looks like Kenyon Isomat and call Rigrite. Send me a private email and will tell you a better set up for those deck plugs for the vhf and lights. Include location and phone number

DocLex

Sep 14, 2015
For everyone who needs to personally connect with someone at RigRite, their email address is rigrite@gmx.com (this is not on their web page and the phone message has an incorrect email address). You can send pictures as attachments in your email to them. I will report to the forum how long it takes for them to get back to me.

Last edited:

DocLex

Sep 14, 2015
It's been a long 5 weeks. The correct Mast Foot components are Spar Craft (1) FM1-2CP and (2) FM1-2B. See pictures in post 1 above. Can be found at this URL: http://www.rigrite.com/Spars/Sparcraft_Spars/FM_Masts/FM-0067_mast.html
by scrolling down through all the available parts for the correct spar (mast). The key is to (1) know who made your spar and (2) the specific spar design (a spar manufacturer may make several different designs). RigRite got back to me within 24 hrs. of emailing them pictures and another 24 hrs. to give me a quote after I got their correct email address rigrite@gmx.com
It was perplexing to get someone on the phone who finally gave me the correct email address. Eventually successful when I called 401-739-1140 then 1 and 1 which is the extension that will get you to a person. They can then get you to the correct person to deal with your problem. I hope this THREAD will help many sailors in the future. Thanks to all who pitched in to help solve this. Now, I've got to put the pieces back on--ugh.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Docolex;
You are so correct in knowing who made the mast orgianlly. Then you know where to go for the correct one. Kenyon Isomat supplied the masts and booms as they were manufactured in Charlotte, NC. A good friend of mine who used to manage Kenyon Isomat but now retired use to advise quite a bit. Z Spar from France then came into the picture and built their building near Hunter outside of Gainesville, FL. The actual spars were extruded in France. They decided to purchase Kenyon Isomat letting all the employees in Florida go except for four to move to Charlotte and take over. In the meantime Kenyon Isomat laid off all of their employees leaving only a few to build masts for everyone. Well that was a fiasco and the name of Z Spar for lack of words flew back to France. That left Hunter and many others in the lurch for masts when Selden arrived on the scene and the rest is history as Selden makes a good product. Many Hunter dealers had boats without masts and I sat on some for a while till masts came in. U.S. Spars arrived on the scene in the old facilty that Z Spar occupied in Florida owned by the same folks who own Z Spar in France. Hunter decided to stay with Selden. The old employees from Kenyon Isomat reinvented themselves into Charleston Spar and then later Sparcraft. The problem with Sparcraft is getting thru to them with my friend gone which is not good at all to the customer which is why I suggest Rigrite who does have those parts. Not sure of their relationship with Sparcraft as I am now retired like many in the business. Thus the parts are now indicated Sparcraft but actually the old Keynon ISomat parts. Thank you for responding and a good phone number for them. I felt you needed to know the full picture and hope this thread will be saved for others in the future.

PHIL HERRING, please note the phone number for your records in the response above mine. Many thanks to you kind friend and tell that rascal in FL I said hello.