Repairing Hunter 40 damage from Hurricane Matthew

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Thanks for the UPDATE Mark. Sounds like you are nearing the home stretch. That is a lot of driving. Now I understand why some folk just sell everything and start afresh.

Only issue would be you gotta save that Studebaker..2 or 4 door? Mint Green, so many were? Hopefully it came with a box of spare parts.

Safe travels and Happy New Year.

Aug 28, 2006
Bavaria 35E seattle
Thanks for the update and good to see you've been able to fit in a bit of boat work with everything else on your plate. I think you found a good hinge solution, as well.

May 8, 2013
Hunter 40 Dataw Island, SC
Almost Eastbound!:

Thanks gents! I'm just happy that there is finally some light at the end of the tunnel - even though I suspect that light is attached to a speeding train :yikes:.

The Studebaker is a blue 2 door Champion, 2 seat with the extended trunk. It has had a really bad repaint (before the FIL got it) and some non-restoration quality interior work. Unfortunately I don't have the time, money or desire to bring it back to a higher (my) standard :(. The dollar signs for a restoration greatly exceed the resale value of the car, and to my eye it doesn't have the body lines to easily turn it into a hotrod. It will live in the FIL's new garage so he can tinker with it until time to find it a new home.

One reason for turning down the Studie (which was offered to me) is that both my wife and I have gotten some good life lessons during all of this, primary being it's time to simplify and keep the clutter and rainy-day projects to a manageable level. Over the last few months I took that lesson to heart and culled my automotive stable - sold the convertible and sold the Corvette. And strangely, I don't feel bad about it! I didn't go totally off the deep end - I bought a Dakota as a replacement and have a 5 stage plan to turn it into a hotrod. Cuz a guy's gotta have a hotrod :thumbup:.

Now back to my primary "rainy-day" project! I patterned and cut the openings for the doors for the electrical panels:

And patterned and cut the openings for the panels:

And temporarily placed in the boat:

I'm not quite ready to run the electrics yet but it would be nice if I could get the basics in place and use the onboard outlets for power tools, lights, etc., rather than the current hornet's nest of extension cords.

Cheers,

Mark

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Sweet looking. You have some real skills!

Is that an opening portlight above the electrical panels?

Greg

Jan 17, 2010
Hunter Legend 40 Edgewater
You mention the engine mounts all being 150s not per the manual. On my 40 legend they put the 200 stiffer mounts on the back of the engine rather than on port side and 150s on the front. You have to wonder about the inconsistency of the Hunter yard.

May 29, 2018
Canel 25 foot Shiogama, japan
Hi Mark.
My work doesn't compare with yours at all.
But I am posting this vid to show you how I dealt (easily and cheaply) with lighting inside my lockers.
I imagine you are ahead of me on this,
Gary

May 8, 2013
Big Update! (but not tonight, I'm exhausted):

Back home for good! Too much to tell but here's a teaser!

Yesterday's accomplishment:

And today!

I will expand on happenings over the last few months plus some boat work I did get done in the few spare moments I had but for now, nighty nite!

Cheers,

Mark

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Glad you are back, and the boat is in the water. Hope that makes it easier to work on, rather than harder. Certainly easier to get on and off the boat, I would imagine!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Congrats Mark. It has been a long time coming. You have given her a rebirth.

May 8, 2013
Big update - the details, part 1:

So, where did I leave the saga last time? New Year's day return from New Mexico with a moving truck and pulling the Studebaker. So from then we were just down to planning the final move for the FIL to SC. My first plan was to move him in late February. It's a good thing that didn't happen cuz it would have coincided with the big freeze in Texas! Sometimes a plan falling apart is a good thing :).

That left me with a little bit of time to catch up on a few things, so I did some boat stuff - mainly small jobs since I still was devoting an huge amount of my day to dealing with wife and FIL. I took the forward head apart and painted everything:

After painting, the bulkhead was permanently mounted:

I have pics of the reassembled forward head somewhere, still looking. I messed up on the cabinet doors though, they are a little short - used my patented measure once, cut twice method, of course!

Also worked quite a bit on the hot rod truck, swapped a beefier LSD rear end, new wheels and tires, refurbished the interior, added leather seats and found a replacement engine, so out with the V-6:

And in with the 5.9L V-8:

I repainted the engine compartment for the upcoming color change - I'm just not a fan of white (on vehicles that is)!

Next up, more boat stuff, more car stuff and a big move!

Cheers,

Mark

May 8, 2013
Thanks for the UPDATE Mark. Sounds like you are nearing the home stretch. That is a lot of driving. Now I understand why some folk just sell everything and start afresh.

Only issue would be you gotta save that Studebaker..2 or 4 door? Mint Green, so many were? Hopefully it came with a box of spare parts.

Safe travels and Happy New Year.
Glad you are back, and the boat is in the water. Hope that makes it easier to work on, rather than harder. Certainly easier to get on and off the boat, I would imagine!
Awsome !
she floats once again ⛵
Awesome, Mark.
Good to see your launch!!!
Congrats Mark. It has been a long time coming. You have given her a rebirth.
Thanks fellas, I really enjoy your comments and feedback!