Refrigeration Issue Hunter 380

Sep 24, 2017
Hunter 380 Alameda
Ran into some issues with my refrigeration. Had a guy look at it. The compressor goes on and then goes off after a period of time. Evaporator doesn't get cold. Checked the R 134 and initially it was over pressurized. Refrigeration guys let some pressure out and then put it in slowly. Held for a while and then over-pressurized again.
His suggestion is to evacuate the system and see by doing that whether there were any contaminants in the lines. His other suggestion if that doesn't work is to install a new compressor and evaporator. Looks like a $2000.00 job that I would like to avoid.
Any suggestions out there would be appreciated. This is a Danfoss compressor/Adler Barbour spillover system.

Sep 11, 2011
Hunter 41AC Bayfield WI, Lake Superior
If it were mine I would evacuate, and then put it in a complete vacuum and watch the gages for an hour or two. If it holds the vacuum, then recharge with exactly the right amount of 134A. The system is probably specked for 1-2 oz. Find the data plate and only fill as specked. Filling via differential pressure and temperature measurements is problematic on these tiny systems.

If it won't hold a vacuum, you will need to pressurize with nitrogen and then go looking for the leak.

good luck!