Reef lines jam in blocks when reefing

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
currently using a hook at th tack, and a reefing line on the clew. Much simpler line routing, and I think a way better reef.
:plus: With this quote. While I understand the allure Of being able to reef with a single line, the design of the system must be able to reduce the friction of the single line working on two ends of the sail. This is a difficult task to get right. There are dangers in damage to the sail or the rig if the crew resorts to using a winch to overcome the friction stopping the reef from being made.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
The trick to getting a single line reef to work smoothly is somewhat dependent on being sure that the halyard is slackened enough before tightening the reef line, and then tightening the halyard.
Granted, my boat has sewn in blocks at the reef points which reduces friction and the line layout tends to draw the clew point down and keeps aft tension on it after the tack end is home. I typically wrap the reef line around the winch to tighten but don’t necessarily use a winch handle.

Feb 16, 2021
Hunter Legend 35.5 Bellingham
t
It looks like the blocks don’t swivel with the boom so maybe the line tends to jam if the boom is off to one side, as may be the case while reefing?
They jam when reefing, not when shaking out the reef. The boom position affects the opposite side of the block when shaking out the reed, which has not been a problem.

Feb 16, 2021
Are they adding purchase? Might be better to first ascertain why they are there.
They’re there to lead the lines from the tack properly into the boom sheaves. The lines can only enter the boom from below, and so must be run through a block below the boom.

Feb 16, 2021
I have those same blocks on my mast, and I think that they are required (or something similar) to reroute the lines as they come down from the tack cringle If you are sing single line reefing. You can’t run them into the boom from above…so they run down to the block, reverse direction and go up into the boom neck.

A couple of blocks at the bottom of the mast way work better if you have room, but I don’t know why the current blocks wouldn’t work.

I have gone back and forth on single line reefing, currently using a hook at th tack, and a reefing line on the clew. Much simpler line routing, and I think a way better reef. Yes, I have to go to the mast to put in or shake out the reef, but I don’t mind that..I usually put in the reef before I leave the dock if I am in doubt.

Greg
Is your setup fairly identical to mine, spacing wise between the offending block and the tack cringle? Have you had any similar issues with that block jamming when reefing? If not, it may be my simplest solution is to replace the reefing lines. Would smaller diameter lines be inadvisable in my case?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Would smaller diameter lines be inadvisable in my case?
Not at all.
One size smaller would not affect anything as a detractor.

Remember, you are using the reef lines to hold the sail in place not to trim or adjust a sail full that is under pressure.

It would permit the line to more easily run fair through the blocks that have been giving you the issue.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Is your setup fairly identical to mine, spacing wise between the offending block and the tack cringle? Have you had any similar issues with that block jamming when reefing? If not, it may be my simplest solution is to replace the reefing lines. Would smaller diameter lines be inadvisable in my case?
Mine is fairly close to your set up.
But you have more lines running into the boom…I only have 2…1 for each reef. Not sure why that is.

I don’t have a great pic, but this may give you an idea.
0544BBEF-F481-447E-AAE9-E04F75B7B591.png

On my tack cringe, I put a small block..
B3DCF8A0-B40D-463D-9823-CD4F97F042B3.png

I don’t have any blocks in my boom…maybe that is the difference. And why I find using a reef hook at the mast, and a single line running to the back of the sail.

New lines would certainly run a bit smoother, especially if the old ones are stiff and tired (but they don’t look bad in the photos). Hard to tell if they are sized correctly for the sheaves.

Greg