Recommendations on replacing roller fuller on a 1985 Hunter 34

Jun 21, 2016
Hunter 34 Kemah Texas
We own a 1985 Hunter 34, our roller fuller does not work properly and we are thinking about replacing it with a new one.

Any recommendations on which brand / style works best for a Hunter 34?

Have any Hunter 34 owners replaced their roller fuller? If so what brand/style did you go with ? how has it been working for you?

Mark48

Mar 1, 2008
Hunter 34 Milwaukee
I suspect you have the Hood 810 furler. Continuous line that tends to release about 15 kts. Easiest way to fix is with a conversion kit to a single line unit. Unfortunately the conversion kit is out of production as far as I know. Pompano that took over hood might still have a unit or two, check with them.

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
Twenty years ago I replaced my CDI furler with a Schaeffer (System 2100 I believe). The CDI was awful (at least that version) to furl in a high wind, had to use the winch sometimes. The Schaeffer has been perfect, trouble free and easy even in big winds.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
our roller fuller does not work properly
Could you be more specific? Our 1991 P42 came equipped with a Hood double line furling system. It always works and never jams. But it will not hold a reef unless I manually lock the drum from spinning.

Our drum has a tendency to rotate under certain conditions causing the feed slots to bind the double line. I have since made a modification to prevent this from happening. Otherwise, the system operates quite well.