Random Yanmar instrument warning light and buzzer

Oct 8, 2023
Hunter 30 Lake Travis, Austin Texas
What would cause the Water control panel light (and buzzer) to activate on my Yanmar control panel in the cockpit? It comes on after running the engine for at least 10 minutes, but not every time.
yanmar control panel.jpg

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
That "Water" alarm probably means "high temperature" in the engine cooling system. I can't imagine it meaning anything else. Why only sometimes many have to do with the load you are putting on the engine at the time or other variables. I would not run the engine until you sort out the cause of the alarm. As we were taught in Nulear Power School - Believe your indications!

Oct 8, 2023
Hunter 30 Lake Travis, Austin Texas
That "Water" alarm probably means "high temperature" in the engine cooling system. I can't imagine it meaning anything else. Why only sometimes many have to do with the load you are putting on the engine at the time or other variables. I would not run the engine until you sort out the cause of the alarm. As we were taught in Nulear Power School - Believe your indications!
Thanks Smokey73! I suspected as much, just not sure how to troubleshoot. I haven't had the boat very long, and this is my first diesel inboard. I'm thinking I should blow the water line with compressed air to see if anything is plugging the intake.