Rail Mount for Outboard Motor

tgrady

Nov 22, 2013
Hunter 33.5 North Vancouver
I have a dinghy with a Merc 5 hp 4 stroke motor. Both motor and dinghy are hanging off davits on my Hunter 33.5. I will be moving the boat to new moorage and need to "shorten" the boat and take the dinghy off the davits. I was thinking of putting the Merc on a rail mount but it seems a bit heavy for that (56 pounds). What do people think? What other options do I have?

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
The rail mount can handle it. The rail is supposed to hold the shock force of a 200+lbs person loosing its balance against it. We had a similar weight outboard engine (5HP Tohatsu) which we carried on the rail without any incidents. Ran a couple of times into foul weather conditions where the boat trashed around quite a bit and the rail never even seem to notice the weight.

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
If you can place the mount over a vertical stanchion so it's weight is carried down to the deck it should not be a problem. Getting it on and off won't be fun though. That's why I have a 3.5 two stroke. 28 pounds.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Not familiar with the rail size on the H33 but used to have a H40.5 on which we hung a similar outboard from the stern rail with no problem. I can only presume your rail is equally sturdy.

tgrady

Nov 22, 2013
Hunter 33.5 North Vancouver
OK. Rail can handle it even in adverse weather. Me, on the other hand, would certainly have a bit of "fun" getting it up and down even if I get a lift installed. And that becomes another appendage. Smaller motor would be good i guess.

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
Depends on how you're using the dinghy if you need the horsepower or not.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
[QUOTE...I was thinking of putting the Merc on a rail mount but it seems a bit heavy for that (56 pounds). What do people think? What other options do I have?[/QUOTE]

Put it on a place where the rail is vertical- if you can- not where it is on an angle.

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
I have a plastic two-piece rail mount that clamps on where the vertical rail meets the horizontal rail. As others have said, mount it where the vertical rail takes the load.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
We have a 9.9 2 stroke on a wooden bracket over the vertical post on our pushpit and use a Garhauer motor lift.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
OK. Rail can handle it even in adverse weather. Me, on the other hand, would certainly have a bit of "fun" getting it up and down even if I get a lift installed. And that becomes another appendage. Smaller motor would be good i guess.
Yes, but production of the lighter two stroke small outboard engines stopped a few years back. If you can find a used Merc 3.5HP in good shape it would be a good buy as it weighs under 30 lbs. and its performance will be similar the 5HP it will replace. Honda and Suzuki both manufacture 4 stroke 2.5HP engines weighing a tad over 30 lbs.

Jan 2, 2014
Hunter 340 long beach ca
I have a h340 and we carry a tohatsu 6 on the rail. Hasn't been any problems for over a year. Up and down is really not a big deal either. I carry an old rug in the compartment under the swim platform. Just lift it up a couple of inches and set it on the rug with my legs, then lay it on its side and slide it onto the dingy. Removes in reverse. I do always tie a safety line to it just in case though. Easier to fetch from 3 ft than 20, fortunately haven't used it yet!

Sep 3, 2012
Hunter 285 Grand Rivers Ky
Good idea Rick. You just started me wondering, how do people do this who have older boats without swim platforms?

Jan 2, 2014
Hunter 340 long beach ca
I saw an older couple in Catalina that used the main halyard and some type of rigged harness. They offloaded the motor to the dingy off the port side of the boat. Took three of them 30 minutes but they got it done.

Feb 11, 2012
C&C Mega 30 Long Point, Lake Erie
Came up with this...having it made as I type.
Mast tabernacle aluminum outboard mounting bracket.
No holes drilled, no extra hardware....use extra halyard and winch to lift on and off the dink.
image.jpg

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
There are several dink engine cranes like the garhauer mentioned earlier. We lift a 15 hp yamaha 2 stroke with our crane. Not difficult.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I have a 8hp outboard on my 2007 H-36 with a WM plastic 2 piece plate and added a vertical support made of PVC needed to keep motor from moving and support also.
Before adding davits but have engine hoist.

Attachments