Quickest launchable from trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 27, 2009
Clipper Mariner - Mac 25 -Bayliner and 4 kayaks 21 Clipper & 25 Macgregor & 19 Bayliner classic Red Rock Lake IA
I would be very happy to find a 19 m for $3000 - 5000. Most I have seen are 6000 - $8000. Otherwise any 26 for the best price would be fine...

Jan 3, 2010
Rhodes 22 North East MD
Look at a Rhodes 22 too

Take a look at the Rhodes 22. It has a nice mast raising system and a number of features that make it easy to launch and go. I bought a used one that I am sailing while I am restoring and it has been great. I have a 79 so I don't have the IMF, and I also don't the mast raising system. We still get the mast up in 1/2 hour with two of us.

http://www.rhodes22.com/

Dec 14, 2007
Hunter 23.5 Thibodaux, LA 70301
Just another option for you might be a Hunter 23.5. I own a 1996 23.5 and can go from hwy to sailing in about 1 hour. Faster if I push it or if I have help. The 23.5's come with a gin pole and side stabilizers for raising/lowering the mast, the motor is mounted in the "motor well" so there is no need to remove it while trailing, and it has a center board which allows you to beach the boat in less then 2ft of water. Plenty of room for kids to play on the boat while sailing and room for adults to relax.

Its a water ballast so while on the trailer it weighs around #3000 - #4000 depending on if you have gear in it and trailer weight.

Also, they can be found used for $3k-$8K ready to go.

Like mentioned before... the biggest time consumers are all of the ties that are placed on EVERYTHING to keep things from falling off while trailering.

Good luck and have fun...
Todd Hubbell

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
........ the biggest time consumers are all of the ties that are placed on EVERYTHING to keep things from falling off while trailering............Todd Hubbell
Someone mentioned the bungee ties......

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor/rigging-6.html

....on one of the boards and I switched to them. What a difference!! I can't believe that I didn't think of them before since we use them.....

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/hooley/hooley-index.html

....at Bonneville on my shelter. If you aren't using them, try them, you will love them,

Sum

Our Trips to Lake Powell, UT - Kootenay Lake, Canada - Priest Lake, ID

Our Mac Pages

Mac Links

Dec 27, 2009
Clipper Mariner - Mac 25 -Bayliner and 4 kayaks 21 Clipper & 25 Macgregor & 19 Bayliner classic Red Rock Lake IA
Does anybody have a link to boat value guide? Boats far away seem awlfull cheap. Anything close seems awlfull expensive....

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Does anybody have a link to boat value guide? Boats far away seem awful cheap. Anything close seems awful expensive....
I don't, but I notice that the boats for sale that are being sold by dealers or online services seem to be quite a bit higher in some cases and that is only natural as they want a cut for their services. There are so many boats on Craig's List that is where I would go and I've posted that link before that does the nationwide search.

We were ready to go well over 1000 miles to Texas and over 700 to Calif. to look at boats and there was one in Denver 400+ miles away. To me to get the right boat setup how I wanted it at the right price would be well worth a trip that far once. Now the problem is that you drive all of that way and it isn't the right boat :cry:. To get around that problem to some extent you have a large network of friends right here on this forum and I would also look to the guys on the "Ask all Sailors" forum for help.

Find a boat that you are interested in and then see if someone is in the area that would look at it. Don't put them on the spot to decide if it is a good deal or not. Their mission is to do a look at the boat and see if it "seems" to be in the condition the seller is telling you. If it passes this test then decide if you want to have a survey done by a professional. I wouldn't for a boat that is likely going to be in this price range. Then if you are still interested go look at it with the intention of bringing it home if it meets your requirements.

One of the boats we were looking at was in Phoenix. I asked a friend that also races at Bonneville if he would mind looking at it. At that point I found out that he use to sail and actually had a captains license. He looked at it and was really impressed, so we bought it on his word. He and his wife actually delivered it to us as they wanted to visit us anyway. If anything would not of been right on the boat I wouldn't of held him responsible.

Good luck,

Sum

Our Mac Pages

Mac Links

kenn

Apr 18, 2009
CL Sandpiper 565 Toronto
We've had a 18'6" trailerable boat (Sandpiper 565) for 3 full seasons now, and we're still really happy and looking forward to season 4.

We drysail her at a yacht club, so we can keep the mast up on the trailer, and we can launch in 15 min or less. So an evening sail is easy. We also haul her all around: mast can be raised and boat launched by 2 people in about 30 min, though usually we just take it easy. We pull her easily with an Xterra, but about any midsize car or van can also pull them. Since the keel goes all the way up, she can be launched just about anywhere. We've already explored several large lakes within 200 miles of our home.

We have found that the two of us can comfortably "cruise" for two or three nights, including food and head. With some planning, you can do a week. The boat is fairly sturdy, but also a fun sail in most winds. We've overtaken some other 20 and 21 ft boats (I've done a few 25+ kt days too)

All told, she's been the right combination of daysailor plus trailerable pocket cruiser for us, and even when we get the "big" boat, I plan on keeping the Sandpiper. Did I mention they can be had used for about $2500 to $6000, including outboard and trailer? Pocket change.

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
Sumner,

Do you have any close up pictures of the base of the gin pole and mast? I'm thinking about building something similar for Verboten but haven't quite figured out where the base of the pole should go.

Thanks,

Chris
I put my Gin pole near the goose neck of my O'Day 222. It really depends on what you intend to use for pulling the mast up. If you're going to use a small boat winch, you can mount the Gin Pole lower on the mast. It you use a block and tackle, you would need to mount it higher to make room for the blocks. I use my boom vang which is a pretty heavy duty four sheave block and tackle with a cam cleat on the pulling end block. My son made my Gin Pole out of 1" stainless steel and it comes apart in two equal lengths for easy stowing. I'm using pivot bridles and baby stays because I have a CDI Roller Furler. If you don't have a furler, you can fore go the bridles and temporary stays. Click on to "Trinkka" or O'Day 222- Owner's Photo Album if you want to see picture of it, plus a lot of other mods. If you need further info, email me and I'll send pic and info. sailtrinkka1986@verizon.net
Joe

Aug 11, 2007
Catalina22 sloop Hudson Yacht Club
Quickest launchable

We've had a 18'6" trailerable boat (Sandpiper 565) for 3 full seasons now, and we're still really happy and looking forward to season 4.

We drysail her at a yacht club, so we can keep the mast up on the trailer, and we can launch in 15 min or less. So an evening sail is easy. We also haul her all around: mast can be raised and boat launched by 2 people in about 30 min, though usually we just take it easy. We pull her easily with an Xterra, but about any midsize car or van can also pull them. Since the keel goes all the way up, she can be launched just about anywhere. We've already explored several large lakes within 200 miles of our home.

We have found that the two of us can comfortably "cruise" for two or three nights, including food and head. With some planning, you can do a week. The boat is fairly sturdy, but also a fun sail in most winds. We've overtaken some other 20 and 21 ft boats (I've done a few 25+ kt days too)

All told, she's been the right combination of daysailor plus trailerable pocket cruiser for us, and even when we get the "big" boat, I plan on keeping the Sandpiper. Did I mention they can be had used for about $2500 to $6000, including outboard and trailer? Pocket change.
Kenn is right. This a great little boat.

Like Kenn, I've trailered & launched my Piper many a time on many a lake. This boat rigs easily. In about 10 minutes, two people can step the mast, and then roll her down the ramp. By spending another 15 minutes or so, she's outfitted and ready to go.

You can't lose with a boat like this, if fast, easy, & simple trailer sailing is your goal.

Jun 16, 2004
- - -
Mark I tried to give you some advice from many years of sailing trailerable boats . . . maybe I should supply some actual experiences as all of the other fellow sailors have with their individual boat.

PAUL, you live what 1 hour drive from the greatest sailing area on the east coast. You should try sailing here in central PA even better yet how about Iowa.. My nearest West Marine is 2.5 hours away and just think how much sailing equipment and information they would have on display in Pittsburgh Pennsylvania..

SUMNER, if you lived here in central PA I know we would be great sailing buddies, you’re a very rare trailer sailor. At 65 you have been to the tool shed many times and from your web site you have many and know how to use them. I’m 64 and have many tools in my shed also, but I believe there are not many fellows under 40 who have ever changed engines in their cars, poured the cement, did the plumbing, electrical and shingled the roof of their home like you and I have.

I see already someone is requesting images on how equipment attaches, a picture is worth a thousand words but seeing it in person would be priceless.

Mark look at the attached photo, I’ve sailed, rig and de-rigged everyone of these boats, 21 to 28 feet, over the years and not one of these can be done in less than an hour.
I once owned a 15 foot Newport, large cockpit with a cuddy cabin, weighted drop keel, very easy to rig by myself. My teenage son and I spent a couple weekend trips on it. The setup time was nothing compared to the Catalina 22 I now have.
As with any boat you think you need a bigger one, so thus the 22 footer. My wife sailed on both boats but after the first trip to larger waters she has never wanted to sail again. The Goldwing is not allowed to leave the driveway without her unless I’m going to the boat. I pay the price to keep the 22 moored 6 months a year in a Pennsylvania State Park.

The 27 Balboa next to me was sold last summer to a retired fellow from Pittsburgh, he really enjoys it but his wife doesn’t so the boat is now up for sale again.

A good sailing friend started out with a 19 footer, went to a 23.5, then a 25 and finally to a 26 foot solid keel Hunter trailerable. After two years on this small lake moved it 4.5 hrs away to the Chesapeake Bay where this past spring his wife wanted a larger boat and they moved up to a Hunter 33. This fall a couple of us from the lake made a last sail on this boat and showed him all of the poor rigging setup from the last two owners. He told me he never sailed the boat the whole summer, if he and his wife were going someplace they motor sailed to get there quicker and that she would not go out in the bay just to sail for the day, the boat stayed tied to the dock as the party boat and he spent the summer motoring around in the dingy.

Another friend, his wife bought a camp near the lake so she could be at the lake but not have to stay on the boat all the time. Not only does he have a 28 foot boat he has a cabin to take care of also.

Suze Orman would be freaking out if she heard how these guys paid for this stuff.

Again looking at the attached photo only about 6 wives sail regularly with their husbands and I know one of them raises hell when the boat heels.

What would be the perfect boat to start out trailer sailing?

A couple older sailors than I in the attached photo have expressed an interest in down sizing, just too much work and pain to maintain a 21 to 26 foot boat for an afternoon sail of just a couple hours. And yes, SULLRICH, they and I think the Com Pac 16 would be the perfect boat.

So, the Com Pac 16 would be the QUICKEST LAUNCHABLE FROM TRAILER,
and still be a very stable family boat, large cockpit, cabin large enough to store stuff and get in out of the weather. If your family would enjoy sailing on something like this and spend a weekend on it and be willing to do it again then you’re ready for the work and pain of a larger boat.
This post just made me feel very lucky about my sailing mate...

I rig my 26s in about 30 min. if I have someone who knows how to help; about 45 solo.

Jun 16, 2004
- - -
Sumner made a good point in Reply #19 on page 1. Regardless of size of boat, the engine you use to propel it will most likely be the hardest amount of actual work you need to deal with. The mast raising systems available all make actually raising the mast more time consuming than a strength issue.

That said, no matter what boat, mast system and motor you get, the trick seems to be that you need two people to put the boat in the water, unless you trust other people (strangers) at the dock to snatch the boat off the trailer and line it up at the end of the day. I haven't yet ever figured out how to drop a boat in the water and retrieve it singlehanded, i.e., absolutely no one else.

If someone does, I'm all ears.

I do it all the time...did it for over a year (in a local lake) with out a motor. greatly enhanced my sailing skills...gets tricky at times depending on the strength and direction of the wind relative to the boat dockbut b/t changing the angle of the boat and sails (and at times some "zig zagging" to slow down) then throw the sails loose it is doable. With most docks there is a way to enter into the wind (ideal) or with the wind off the beam or forward.

A few times I had to hop off faster then I liked and had to throw a rope round a tie down to stop when it was going faster than I liked, and there was a hard bump a time or two...but no damage. Most of the time I eased that baby right up to the dock (then you do have to quickly tie bow and aft.)

One time, and I have never had anything even close to this happen again, the wind changed direction at the last second and I could not bail away from the dock...the wind came from behind (not very strong thankfully...) I hopped off the boat ran down the dock waded down the ramp into the water and (nice to have a light boat) slowed/stopped the boat like a football linebacker, had to retreat a few steps to assuage the momentum.!!! (only weigh 155 though). Boat stopped with the bow in about a foot of water, about five feet to the dry cement, nothing, not even the rudder (had the centerboard up) touched bottom! Should have seen the looks on the folks around the dock!

This above event is rare thing...most times it is much easier or you can steer round and try again. One time I had to anchor in a sheltered cove when a huge storm moved in (anchoring solo stories, with no motor, could take up another thread). But I have found that if there is a willl there is a way to make it work, with little if any increase in safety hazard...main thing is to be patient and remember that "slow is fast".

Heading out is much easier...just loop the bow rope to the outside push boat off trailer and tug till the boat turns around grab aft rope and tie up aft still holding bow rope which you then tie and then take out any slack undesired (you have to have the ropes easily accesible for this, and, esp. for the docking.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2009
Does anybody know the difference in years and models for the Macgregors? I am a bit confused. I have seen 1995 26X boats advertised. I have seen 1996 26S boats advertised. Did they make both models at the same time? I thought 1995's were all S's and 1996 were all X's?

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Does anybody know the difference in years and models for the Macgregors? I am a bit confused. I have seen 1995 26X boats advertised. I have seen 1996 26S boats advertised. Did they make both models at the same time? I thought 1995's were all S's and 1996 were all X's?
Check this out.......

http://www.wadler.org/boatMac/production_years.php

.... it was in the links below in this link.....................

http://www.wadler.org/boatMac/hullid.php

........... and then over on the left side of the page

From that I would be suspicious of a '96 S unless like I mentioned on the other post it was a title deal or a change of the MSO to move an unsold boat to a current year for sales purposes. Looks like '95 was S's and X's.

Are you looking for an S or X? They are so different once you would see a picture of one or the other you would know what the seller was selling.

c ya,

Sum

Our Mac Pages

Mac Links

Dec 27, 2009
Thanks Sumner! You have the best advice and links. Just what I was looking for.

Jan 25, 2008
Hunter 25 -
I own H23.5 its water balast,swing keel.It draft is 14" up and 5'6" down. its empty weight is 2000lbs I pull it easy with Ford Sport Trac.
I can step mast single handly in about an hour with taking it easy as it should be.
Love the boat a lot. It claims to sleep six in huge cabin w.galley,port potty,single burner alcohol stove. Much more comforatable with three.
Open water basllast valve to fllood hull with 1000lbs water before launch. Close the samevalve to have ballast weight after launch.
This allows you to leave the water weight in lake and not on the trailer when you head home.
For the money very hard to find a better sailboat.
Roomy,easy tow,shallow draft,fast,easy "jeffy reefing system for main,and easy to look at. Five to six knots w 6hp outboard.
Check out Hunters web site...fairwinds friends.

Jun 8, 2004
Macgregor 21 Clinton, NJ
But I have found that if there is a willl there is a way to make it work, with little if any increase in safety hazard...main thing is to be patient and remember that "slow is fast".

Heading out is much easier...just loop the bow rope to the outside push boat off trailer and tug till the boat turns around grab aft rope and tie up aft still holding bow rope which you then tie and then take out any slack undesired (you have to have the ropes easily accesible for this, and, esp. for the docking.[/quote]

My boat is pretty light also and can dock without motor if need be, though my usualy sailing grounds almost always have the wind on the nose coming up to the dock. When coming in I have the bow line led around shrouds and the stern line in hand as well. Motor off, I toss the stern line accross the dock (no Monkey's fist, but a sizeable loose knot) just before stepping off with bow line in hand. I can stop the boat by looping the bowline to a cleat and pull in the stern before tying anything off.
Launching, I tie the stern line to the last cleat on the dock(it's the longest line) and with the bow line led around the goalposts it's tied to the front of the trailer. I'll stop as the boat starts to float and perhaps pull forward a foot before it gets too far and to the end of the bow line.

Dec 27, 2009
I have an opportunity to buy an American Mariner 8.0 sail boat. So far I cannot find much information about it. What good features as well as bad features does she have? How much is she worth with no sails or motor? Has been sitting for about 10 years outof the water. What specifically should I look for? Anybody have any literature, owners guide, or good interior photos?
Thanks, Mark

Dec 27, 2009
Are you saying that it would be worse than my old Chrysler 22?

Jul 17, 2009
Endeavour/Chrysler E-32/C-22 swimming pool
Are you saying that it would be worse than my old Chrysler 22?
I have a Chrysler C-22 and know the mast seems to be hefter then others of its size, but it doesn't seem to bad to step the mast.

And it looks like I'm moveing up to a C-26 :dance:

Status
Not open for further replies.