Quickest launchable from trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 27, 2009
Clipper Mariner - Mac 25 -Bayliner and 4 kayaks 21 Clipper & 25 Macgregor & 19 Bayliner classic Red Rock Lake IA
OK, I was the proud owner of a Chrysler 22 several years ago. Everybody bashed the boat for being too slow. I loved the boat. Top speed was not what I bought it for... I wanted a comfortable boat to take the family out on. Only problem was the cost of a slip could not be justified... So I always trailered it. It took me 2-2 1/2 hours to raise the mast unload and hang sails. Another 2 hours to tear down and pack sails. I ended up selling the boat due to complaints from my family on the wasted time.
Well, my sons are older now, and seem more interested in sailing. I am just dying to get another sailboat. Now slip rates are up 25% and I am only 15 minutes away from free boat ramps.... So, what boat is the quickest, and easiest to raise the mast, rig, launch, and sail? It doesn't have to be the fastest on the water. But the more expensive will slow down the process. From what I have read, the Macgregor 26 M would be great! But, I currently cannot really afford it, unless I find the bargin of the year. The 26 X seems to be some cheaper. Macgregor 19 M seem to be affordable, but difficult to locate except on the coasts. Any others that fit the bill? Weight is an issue. The boys blew up the 3/4 ton turbo diesel. So it would be a big + if my wife's Blazer could pull it.
What do you suggest? It must be a boat I can find. 12 hours from Iowa is the longest I really want to travel to pull one back. Please tell me why the boat is good at these requirements. If you have something for sale that fits the bill, let me know that as well. Thanks! Mark Klein mklein@iowatelecom.net

Jun 8, 2004
Macgregor 21 Clinton, NJ
While I can't speak specificially about the larger size(20+)models, The O'day style daysailors were pretty quick to set up. I had a 17 ft with a hinged mast step(instead of thru the foredeck) that was 25 min singlehanded to trailer in; step the mast; bend the sails-standard hank on jib and head for the water. I loved the boat but the admiral wanted a larger more comfy boat, enter the mac/venture 21. Like your chrysler, 2hrs at least to step the mast and rig-roller furling jib made the deal heavier so baby stays, gin pole; 4:1 block all had to be installed when setting up or breaking down. Most people tell me that the Mac 26 models are pretty quick, though.
Oddly enough, I just took possesion of a 15' Mutineer for use when I want to go to a different lake for a daysail or when they draw the water down too much at my usual lake. I'm figuring that with the draw-thru forestay set up properly with the other rigging I should be able to set up and take down in less than an hour.

May 23, 2007
Catalina Capri 22 Albany, Oregon
I had a Catalina Capri 16.5 that could be set up in about 30-40 minutes. Roller furling jib was an integral part of the forestay and the mast was easy to walk up. It was a fun day sailor.

Set up of our Capri 22 is probably closer to a couple hours, though I think with some practice and attention to making sure you count the # of turns you take on the turnbuckles you could do it quicker. You'd need some kind of mast raising system as the mast is too heavy to walk up - at least the tall rig is.

Manny

Oct 5, 2006
Hunter 82? 37 Cutter Wherever the wind takes me
The only experience I have with a trailerable is a Coronado 23t. A friend has one and I've helped him set it up a few times, didn't take more than about 1/2 to 3/4 of an hour. It's a nice sailing boat with a large cockpit.
Do any of the marinas in your area allow mast up storage? If so it may be a nice trade off between cost and convenience (also less wear & tear on your towing vehicle).

Manny

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
You mentioned the MacGregor X and M, both 'power sailers'. How about the little older 26S (swing centerboard and right before the X) and 26D (dagger board and right before the S).

We have the S and love it and if you day sailed you could be on the water in less than an hour with it. It is more for us as we have to setup the dingy and a lot of other stuff since we don't day sail.

Here is a list of MacGregors on Craig's List and you can rationalize the list more. I did it for the whole country.......

http://www.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/mash.c...c=&fil=&ys=&ye=&ps=&pe=&pgs=100&submit=++++go++++

Good luck,

Sum

Our Trips to Lake Powell, UT - Kootenay Lake, Canada - Priest Lake, ID

Our Mac Pages

Mac Links

Jun 5, 2004
- - Eugene, OR
My h23 takes about 1 hr set up or take down with two people. A friend of mine with a Santana 2023C claims around a 1/2 hr, but I haven't tried to verify that. You might see what dingys are common in your area. We see a lot of Daysailors, Thistles and Lightnings as well as an assortment of beachable catamarans used for both racing and family outings. The dingys seem a bit less complicated and faster to set up. The trade off is that they may not offer you the room and amenities you want.
Focus on the standing rigging - more complex means more time tuning it, which I find is the most time consuming part of setting up the boat. In general, the more things to play with, the more time it will take. Remember to involve your family in selecting a boat, and then setting up and putting away your boat when you use it. Good luck and welcome back to sailing.
Jim Kolstoe, h23 Kara's Boo

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Setting up or taking down your trailerable boat should take less than an hour or the fun goes out of it. You find yourself not wanting to take short sails... like after work during daylight savings time... that kind of thing. It becomes a big ordeal to use it.. and that's not conducive to fun for the family. I absolutely hate the mac 26 x and m..... ther're frightful, but everyone here has heard my rants on them so I'll keep quiet. I don't really think there is any particular type of boat in the 22 foot category that can't be equipped for quick rigging. The only consideration might be centerboard versus fixed keel. Fixed keel means a special trailer with a tongue extension, but they are infinitely better sailing vessels. Your tow vehicle will have a lot to do with it also.

So, look for a boat that already has a mast raising system. That means a tabernacle and a method of quickly raising it, like a gin pole. Next, instead of turnbuckles on the shrouds and stays, use quick release adusters. These devices allow you to release tension on the stays without affecting the adjustment mechanisim. Do as much as you can while you're in the parking lot.... leave the main attached to the boom and store it that way in the cabin. Be open minded about what you really need to do before you sail.. alot of stuff can be taken care of while you're motoring out to the sailing area.

Also...... during the periods of time when you'll want to use the boat alot... consider renting a slip or mooring on a month to month basis. You will be amazed at how much more you will enjoy the boat when all you have to do is raise the sails and go sailing. ..... what is your time worth? If you can eliminate 3 hours of set up and take down time... you can justify the slip cost with just a few visitis a month.

Sep 25, 2008
Oday 25 Gibraltar
For simplicity and quick setup time I don't think you can do much better than a Sea Pearl 21-http://www.marine-concepts.com/. Boat and trailer weigh less than 1000#. It has 350# of water ballast. A very capable day sailer that I sailed for 19 years on the northwest end of Lake Erie.

Rich

V

videoarizona

Easy to launch and retrieve trailerable....

So, what boat is the quickest, and easiest to raise the mast, rig, launch, and sail?

Aquarius 23 by Coastal Recreation. Built in the 70's along with the Balboa line, they were designed to be very easy to rig, trailer, launch and retrieve. They have more storage than most trailerables and can sail alongside their newer cousins and not be embarrassed!

I emailed you with more specifics...

Goodluck in your search.

David

D

Deleted member 78819

Re: Easy to launch and retrieve trailerable....

I've owned an O'Day 20 and a Hunter 23. I currently own a Com-Pac 16/III. Slower, sure, but an extremely safe and stable sailboat to take children out in. The mast is a snap to step. I leave the main on the boom so rigging that is quick. I have to hank on the jib, mount the rudder and kicker and I'm ready to launch. It takes 15 to 20 minutes to have her ready to launch. About the same after retrieving her to have her ready for the road.

Dec 23, 2008
Catalina 22 Central Penna.
Boat size first

A 22 foot boat, such as the Chrysler 22 and the Macgregor 26 sizes are just too large for what you want to do, trailer sail.

It has taken me many years to locate or construct the equipment required to launch my 22 in less than an hour.

21s fall into this same category also.

So you’re limited to no larger than a 19 footer.

A 19 footer you will need some help on the set up, so looking into the future when the family no longer wants too or has the time, a 15 to 17 foot boat with a small cuddy cabin would be my choice. You should be able to rig and de-rig 15 to 17 feet by your self.

19 feet or smaller with a weighted keel your Blazer will pull very easy.

Look at the keel raising system if required, a lot of the older boats in this size range used a winch system that had to be mounted in the cockpit to lower the keel and removed for sailing, what a pain, find something with a system that is not in the way of moving around in the cockpit or the cabin.

Last, this will raise another argument on this site, find a boat that does not have a roller furling head sail!

Oct 18, 2007
Macgregor 26S Lucama, NC
Sorry, Watercolors, but I have to disagree with you. I trailer sail my Mac 26S all over eastern NC without anyproblems. I pull it with a Ford Ranger. I have a homemade mast-raising system that lets my wife pull the mast up with one hand. It takes about an hour to set up and take down- might could hurry it a bit if I needed to. From what I have read, there are a large number of people who single hand trailer sailors up to 26 feet. Unless mklein has some problem not yet mentioned, he should have no trouble with a 22 to 26 foot boat if he equips it for ease of use. -Paul

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Some marinas allow you to store you boat in their parking lots. Then you can leave the boat rigged for its next launch. Hank on your sails and away you go.

I know that I would not use a boat very much if I needed to step the mast every time I want to use it.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Sorry, Watercolors, but I have to disagree with you. ............. -Paul
Add me to that also. I'm 65 and can easily raise the............

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor/rigging-2.html

....... mast using the mast raising system and set-up our 26S by myself if needed.

We just started sailing last spring and have hauled the Mac to Idaho and Canada from Utah. We pull with a Suburban and it is easy with it. I was going to tow with my Jeep Scrambler and still would if I was on pretty much flat land and within 50 miles of water. Over that and I would want a heavier vehicle. Our trailer only has one axle with no brakes is the main reason that I would recommend a vehicle over 4000 lbs.. Once I add the second axle and brakes I would feel comfortable with a smaller vehicle than the Suburban on long hauls.

We had never sailed and have never had any lessons. The 26S and D are easy boats to sail. Must be as we have done it. They also have a lot of support on the Internet. If you get time check some of the.............

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor/macgregor-links-1.html

.......... links to owners sites here for the S and D along with the newer X and M and the older Ventures that would also be a boat you might look at.

The thing we like about the 26 is that it is big enough to stay out on. We were on it for 30 days on our Canada trip and 18 this fall on Lake Powell. We will be back on Lake Powell in the spring for over a week and then plan a trip to Idaho/Wyoming for about a month in the summer and then hopefully to Florida next fall for 3 months or so. The Mac 26 can do a lot for you.

c ya,

Sum

Our Mac Pages

Mac Links

May 23, 2007
Catalina Capri 22 Albany, Oregon
Sumner,

Do you have any close up pictures of the base of the gin pole and mast? I'm thinking about building something similar for Verboten but haven't quite figured out where the base of the pole should go.

Thanks,

Chris

Sep 20, 2006
Oday 20 Seneca Lake
i've often wondered why a sailboat manufacturer never made a mast that went up and down like a radio antenna on a car. it would make trailer sailing more practical if the stays could be left connected and you just raised the mast till the were tight.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Sumner,

Do you have any close up pictures of the base of the gin pole and mast? I'm thinking about building something similar for Verboten but haven't quite figured out where the base of the pole should go.

Thanks,

Chris

Did you also check out this page...................

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor/rigging-2.html

The plate the mast steps on (name???) came with the forward holes for the gin pole. This system works great for us. Ruth can crank it up with the winch. Some of the newer Macs have a winch on the gin pole itself. I have no doubt that works well, but I feel it would be awkward to store on the boat. We have the gin pole on board and if the need arose we could take the mast down on the water at any time. On our last Lake Powell trip we had a friend drop us off at Page, AZ and then pick us up 18 days later 90+ miles up the lake at Bull Frog/Halls Crossing. While we were waiting for him to get there we had the mast down and the boat ready to go on the trailer tied to the dock. He got there after dark, so it was nice having all of that done.

If I was just day sailing I wouldn't worry about being able to get the mast up and down on the water, for for any kind of trip away from the vehicle I would want that option. With this system you just need to store the jin pole and the block and tackle.

We also use the block and tackle and boat winch to...................

............. get our two outboards on and off the boat, either on shore or................

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor/outside-16.html

................. on the water to the dingy.

Let me know if there is anything else,

Sum

Our Mac Pages

Mac Links

Dec 27, 2009
Clipper Mariner - Mac 25 -Bayliner and 4 kayaks 21 Clipper & 25 Macgregor & 19 Bayliner classic Red Rock Lake IA
I built the mast raising bridle for my Chrysler by copying one for a catalina. Does anyone have a good picture or instruction of one using a winch like on the Mac 26 M? I would like to see one in more detail. Thanks, Mark mklein@iowatelecom.net And thanks for all the replies and links. They have given much to look at.

Status
Not open for further replies.