Quickest launchable from trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
...........Does anyone have a good picture or instruction of one using a winch like on the Mac 26 M? ...........

Try my Mac's Links page..........................

Mac Links

............. and go to some of the owner sites for the M. If you don't find it there I would suggest going here...............

http://www.macgregor26x.com/forum/index.php

That Mac site has lots of M owners and some of them post the mods and I think I might of even seen it on YouTube,

Sum

Our Trips to Lake Powell, UT - Kootenay Lake, Canada - Priest Lake, ID

Our Mac Pages

Aug 9, 2005
Hunter 260 Sarasota,FL
Although I trailer a Hunter 260, the newer ones are too pricey for your range and you'd need a bigger truck. Based on your original query I'd have to say that a Catalina 22 fits perfectly. They have a huge following, great resale if maintained, trailer easily and are as inexpensive as you might be in revitalizing an elderly one or looking at something newer. The best advice so far was to keep your family involved in the search.
Happy hunting.

Jul 17, 2009
Endeavour/Chrysler E-32/C-22 swimming pool
OK, I was the proud owner of a Chrysler 22 several years ago. Everybody bashed the boat for being too slow. I loved the boat. Top speed was not what I bought it for... I wanted a comfortable boat to take the family out on. Only problem was the cost of a slip could not be justified... So I always trailered it. It took me 2-2 1/2 hours to raise the mast unload and hang sails. Another 2 hours to tear down and pack sails. I ended up selling the boat due to complaints from my family on the wasted time.

Sorry to lose a fellow Chrysler sailer. A mast hinge step and lighter mast would have made stepping the mast real quick single handed. I have no problem with the speed of My C-22 seems to keep up with most the boats its size even against the J-24 that was always racing. I stored mine at the marina coral for half the cost of a slip, I don't take the mast down at the end and I like it doesn't stay in the water during storms. In 20 minunts from unlocking the gate I can get hooked up,launched at the ramps and tied to a marina dock then parked. By time the 1st mate is aboard we are ready to sail it might be 30 minutes.
the marina at the lake we sailed on last season had a telephone pole host assemblyto raise and lower the mast, makes it very quick and easy.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
OK, I was the proud owner of a Chrysler 22 several years ago. Everybody bashed the boat for being too slow. I loved the boat. .............
.............. I have no problem with the speed of My C-22 seems to keep up with most the boats its size even against the J-24 that was always racing. .......
Looks like you guys didn't have a slow boat. I went to this site.............

...........and looked at the PHRF ratings of your boat against the Cat 22.

The average rating for yours was 258 to 264 depending on the model vs. 267-273 for the Cat 22 depending on the model there also.

The J24 was 168, so if you were keeping up with them you were doing real good :).

Now our Mac 26S's PHRF is 222, but that isn't with Ruth and I at the helm :cry:. We are getting better, but we have a long ways to go. For us getting from point A to B is the important thing :),

Sum

Our Mac Pages

Mac Links

Jul 17, 2009
Endeavour/Chrysler E-32/C-22 swimming pool
The average rating for yours was 258 to 264 depending on the model vs. 267-273 for the Cat 22 depending on the model there also.

The J24 was 168, so if you were keeping up with them you were doing real good :).

LOL the next weekend I saw him on the water and he had a new full size kevlar genoa and then I stopped playing.

I've gotten comfortable with my C-22 and can dance with the wind on good days but have a long way to go but is one of the reasons I have a boat that we spend more time in cruise mode then race.

I don't think I saw anyone else stay on their boat like me and the 1st mate on the waters we sailed this last season.

Jayne

Jul 6, 2006
Macgregor 19 Colorado
With the two of us it takes about 30 minutes to step the mast on our Mac 19. When I do it by myself with the mast raising system it takes about 45. My Toyota Tacoma is able to tow the boat up and over the mountains here in Colorado relatively easily AND there is a Mac 19 for sale at The Anchorage in Lyons, CO. http://www.marina42.net/cgi-bin/p/m42p-home.cgi?d=the-anchorage
Not so far away from Iowa as the coast + it's ski season, a great reason to come check out a boat!

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
Take a look at Precision Boat Works. They build a 23-foot trailerable that comes standard with a mast raising system incorporated into the galvanized trailer. If you have human help, it is a whiz to step the mast by hand, but if you are short handed, then you can use their mast raising system, which really is a one person affair. The Chrysler 22 mast was a heavy section. The same section they used on the Chrysler 26 (only shorter). Precisions have a lot of other things going for them, such as they sail very well, are easy to rig, are good looking and probably have the best keel configuration for trailer sailing (launching and retrieving), and really, boat for boat, have great use of interior space.

Dec 23, 2008
Catalina 22 Central Penna.
Again, it's all about size

Mark I tried to give you some advice from many years of sailing trailerable boats . . . maybe I should supply some actual experiences as all of the other fellow sailors have with their individual boat.

PAUL, you live what 1 hour drive from the greatest sailing area on the east coast. You should try sailing here in central PA even better yet how about Iowa.. My nearest West Marine is 2.5 hours away and just think how much sailing equipment and information they would have on display in Pittsburgh Pennsylvania..

SUMNER, if you lived here in central PA I know we would be great sailing buddies, you’re a very rare trailer sailor. At 65 you have been to the tool shed many times and from your web site you have many and know how to use them. I’m 64 and have many tools in my shed also, but I believe there are not many fellows under 40 who have ever changed engines in their cars, poured the cement, did the plumbing, electrical and shingled the roof of their home like you and I have.

I see already someone is requesting images on how equipment attaches, a picture is worth a thousand words but seeing it in person would be priceless.

Mark look at the attached photo, I’ve sailed, rig and de-rigged everyone of these boats, 21 to 28 feet, over the years and not one of these can be done in less than an hour.
I once owned a 15 foot Newport, large cockpit with a cuddy cabin, weighted drop keel, very easy to rig by myself. My teenage son and I spent a couple weekend trips on it. The setup time was nothing compared to the Catalina 22 I now have.
As with any boat you think you need a bigger one, so thus the 22 footer. My wife sailed on both boats but after the first trip to larger waters she has never wanted to sail again. The Goldwing is not allowed to leave the driveway without her unless I’m going to the boat. I pay the price to keep the 22 moored 6 months a year in a Pennsylvania State Park.

The 27 Balboa next to me was sold last summer to a retired fellow from Pittsburgh, he really enjoys it but his wife doesn’t so the boat is now up for sale again.

A good sailing friend started out with a 19 footer, went to a 23.5, then a 25 and finally to a 26 foot solid keel Hunter trailerable. After two years on this small lake moved it 4.5 hrs away to the Chesapeake Bay where this past spring his wife wanted a larger boat and they moved up to a Hunter 33. This fall a couple of us from the lake made a last sail on this boat and showed him all of the poor rigging setup from the last two owners. He told me he never sailed the boat the whole summer, if he and his wife were going someplace they motor sailed to get there quicker and that she would not go out in the bay just to sail for the day, the boat stayed tied to the dock as the party boat and he spent the summer motoring around in the dingy.

Another friend, his wife bought a camp near the lake so she could be at the lake but not have to stay on the boat all the time. Not only does he have a 28 foot boat he has a cabin to take care of also.

Suze Orman would be freaking out if she heard how these guys paid for this stuff.

Again looking at the attached photo only about 6 wives sail regularly with their husbands and I know one of them raises hell when the boat heels.

What would be the perfect boat to start out trailer sailing?

A couple older sailors than I in the attached photo have expressed an interest in down sizing, just too much work and pain to maintain a 21 to 26 foot boat for an afternoon sail of just a couple hours. And yes, SULLRICH, they and I think the Com Pac 16 would be the perfect boat.

So, the Com Pac 16 would be the QUICKEST LAUNCHABLE FROM TRAILER,
and still be a very stable family boat, large cockpit, cabin large enough to store stuff and get in out of the weather. If your family would enjoy sailing on something like this and spend a weekend on it and be willing to do it again then you’re ready for the work and pain of a larger boat.

Attachments

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Sumner made a good point in Reply #19 on page 1. Regardless of size of boat, the engine you use to propel it will most likely be the hardest amount of actual work you need to deal with. The mast raising systems available all make actually raising the mast more time consuming than a strength issue.

That said, no matter what boat, mast system and motor you get, the trick seems to be that you need two people to put the boat in the water, unless you trust other people (strangers) at the dock to snatch the boat off the trailer and line it up at the end of the day. I haven't yet ever figured out how to drop a boat in the water and retrieve it singlehanded, i.e., absolutely no one else.

If someone does, I'm all ears.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
..........That said, no matter what boat, mast system and motor you get, the trick seems to be that you need two people to put the boat in the water, unless you trust other people (strangers) at the dock to snatch the boat off the trailer and line it up at the end of the day. I haven't yet ever figured out how to drop a boat in the water and retrieve it singlehanded, i.e., absolutely no one else.

If someone does, I'm all ears.
Stu, I don't see that as a real problem and there are a lot of guys with Mac 26's that put in and out, on and off the trailer by themselves, so I'm sure there are a lot of guys with smaller boats than the Mac also doing it.

I'm not saying it is easy at all ramps or under all conditions, but you can do some things especially to the trailer to make it pretty easy.

With our boat I just back down into the water until the trailer fenders are underwater. A 'stock' Mac will float in 15 inches of water, so you don't have to back in very far, but that will depend on the ramp angle. Actually ours, with all the stuff we have on board it needs more like 16-17 inches:cry:, but still I don't have to get wet and the back tires of the Suburban are just touching the water.

I can then stand on the tongue and let out the bow strap with the winch and let the boat float back a few feet. With a bow line attached I can push the boat back out of the trailer and pull it over and tie it to the dock.

I could also get on the boat and motor it to the dock or possibly beach it back on shore if there wasn't a dock.

Move the Suburban to parking and fill the ballast tank and you are underway. Of course the mast would be put up in the parking lot. The backstay and side shrouds are already adjusted and stay that way, mast up or down. Use the.............

.............. jin pole and the block and tackle with the genoa winch and the mast is up. Attach the forestay and tighten the turnbuckle and you are done. When we put the roller furler on it will be a little harder, but guys put those up by themselves also. You just need another line to keep it from dragging all over the boat. I'll add that.

To put the boat back on the trailer you can motor the boat right into the trailer. Ruth has done that. If you are alone you can leave the outboard in forward..................

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7076785769434785211#

...........like in the video. Now one thing they don't account for there is dealing with a side wind. I've modified our trailer............

Our Trailer Mods

....... in such a way with the side bunks coming forward so wind or no wind it is easy to load. Just motor or pull the boat with a rope between the back goal posts and go forward and you are home. You could do this also with ropes from the goal post forward.

In heavy winds if there is a dock we will use the two of us, one on the bow line and the other on a stern line to handle the boat over to the dock easier. In all but the strongest winds you can do this single handed though.

We have screwed up a lot in our short sailing career, but getting on and off the trailer has been the easiest part of the whole deal.

c ya and at some point we hope to sail a boat of your size Stu, but we won't get rid of the Mac,

Sum and Ruth

Our Mac Pages

Mac Links

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2009
Catalina 22 Kemah,Texas
launching a catalina 22

I have only had help launching my boat one time and it took longer.
I can launch and load my 22 in 30 minutes if I really hustle.
I guess I should do a how too video or pictorial but then I would have to have some one to run the camera.

My trailer is a bass boat conversion so I need 45 inches of water to launch.
Hope to have time and money to build a new trailer before spring.

I want to spend more time on the water, but don't want to pay for the high fees around here.

I agree that a catalina 22 is a great boat and the prices range from $1000 to $10000 depending on age and condition.

I would be happy to inspect and test sail a boat here in texas if you find one.
Now is a great time the prices are unbelievable.

best of luck hope you find a great boat and enjoy it.

If you don't find one let me know I might sell mine.

Sid

May 25, 2004
Hunter 260 Pepin, WI
I've launched my H260 single handed. I use a long line tied off on both the bow and stern. I put the trailer in the water most of the way and then walk the line over to the dock and tie it off with plenty of slack. I return to the truck and float the boat. I return to the dock and tug the boat off the trailer and tie it to the dock. I can then drive the trailer to a parking spot and go sailing.

Note: I rarely raise the mast single handed on the same boat. That task on the H260 with furling jib really does take two at my age.

I don't consider the H260 quick. It takes me about 3 hours to go from trailer to sailing. My Catalina 22 I could do in 1 and a half hours. I sailed both boats from a slip, so I never optimized them for quick launching.

Dec 27, 2009
Clipper Mariner - Mac 25 -Bayliner and 4 kayaks 21 Clipper & 25 Macgregor & 19 Bayliner classic Red Rock Lake IA
I really appreciate all of the discussion and advice here. Since sailing is still a couple of months away, and the best deal money wise will probably win out. I think at this time, I am looking for a very light boat from 19 - 26 ft long. The Chrysler I had was very heavy for it size. Like stated above,the mast was also very heavy. I am looking for a Mac 19, 26D, 26X used. Any other low to the trailer, light boat with shallow draft could a a target. The tax return will greatly influence the buying decision. I do not want a boat that is too small. I would like to overnight on it if possible. Being able to beach the boat would be a huge asset since my kids love swimming at the beach. Again I have gained some great insite so keep the comments coming!

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
I really appreciate all of the discussion and advice here. Since sailing is still a couple of months away, and the best deal money wise will probably win out. I think at this time, I am looking for a very light boat from 19 - 26 ft long. The Chrysler I had was very heavy for it size. Like stated above,the mast was also very heavy. I am looking for a Mac 19, 26D, 26X used. Any other low to the trailer, light boat with shallow draft could a a target. The tax return will greatly influence the buying decision. I do not want a boat that is too small. I would like to overnight on it if possible. Being able to beach the boat would be a huge asset since my kids love swimming at the beach. Again I have gained some great insite so keep the comments coming!
I don't know if you overlooked it, but I would put the 26S maybe at the top with its swing centerboard over the dagger board of the D. We really like that function and it has saved our butts more than once and it you are in shallower waters I would look for that model. Also coming in to beach or to put it on the trailer you can leave the centerboard down some for steerage and when it hits the ground or trailer it just swings up,

Sum

May 25, 2004
Hunter 260 Pepin, WI
Rather then beaching my boat, I anchor in about 10' of water. Kids get creative finding new ways to leave the boat, including swinging in on a halyard.

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
I tow 70 miles and it takes about 1 hour to launch we do have between 2 and 4 people. We could do it in 20 mins. or less if we really humped and didn't take any beer breaks but what fun would that be especially when the temp. is near 90^.

If I was just going for a day sails on nearby lakes I would change my set up and load every thing in the boat at home and I could launch in 30 min. or less by myself.

The bigest time consumers are things that need to be undone, removed and loaded.

All the little ties that keep the stays, halards and stuff in place and off the freeway while going over roads that when you say "AH" it comes out "AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH".

Special mast mounts that keep it from being damaged while towing longer distances.

Now for the loading, the outboard and 7 1/2 gallon gas tank, rudder and tiller,two full ice chests, food for 4 for 3 days, 2 cases of bottled water and clothes of course etc..

Dec 27, 2009
Clipper Mariner - Mac 25 -Bayliner and 4 kayaks 21 Clipper & 25 Macgregor & 19 Bayliner classic Red Rock Lake IA
I did and would consider a 26 S, but I like the idea of the dagger board being completely retracted without any under belly turbulance. In my reality, I don't think it would make any real difference. The most important thing is unloading and sailing as quick as possible from a trailer. My wife is now worried that if I actually get a power sailor, nobody will like the runabout.... Which doesn't bother me at all. :D The Marina in CO. has not attempted to contact me through my two emails with questions. :confused:

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
I did and would consider a 26 S, but I like the idea of the dagger board being completely retracted without any under belly turbulance. ........
Here are the PHRF ratings for the D and then the S from one source I found.

==============================================

[FONT=Verdana,BoldItalic][FONT=Verdana,BoldItalic]
UNITED STATES PERFORMANCE HANDICAP RACING FLEET​
[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Verdana,BoldItalic][FONT=Verdana,BoldItalic]
IMPORTANT NOTE​
[/FONT][/FONT]
The following pages list low, high and average performance handicaps
reported by USPHRF Fleets for over 4100 boat classes/types. Using Adobe​
Acrobat’s ‘FIND” feature​
, <CTRL-F>, information can be displayed for each
boat class upon request. Class names conform to USPHRF designations. The
source information for this listing also provides data for the annual PHRF
HANDICAPS listings (The Red, White, & Blue Book) published by the UNITED
STATES SAILING ASSOCIAION. This publication also lists handicaps by
Class/Type, Fleet, Confidence Codes, and other useful information.
Precautions: Handicap data represents base handicaps. Some reported
handicaps represent determinations based upon statute rather than nautical
miles. Some of the reported handicaps are based upon only one
handicapped boat. The listing covers reports from affiliated fleets to USPHRF

for the period March 1995 to March 2007.

Boat----------------------Low PHRF-------High PHRF----------Average PHRF

MACGREGOR 26 DB--- 210---------------- 219------------------ 213
MACGREGOR 26 S ---- 210---------------- 258------------------ 222

=========================================

There was more variation in the readings on the S, but the lows were the same and the average is only 9 seconds different in a mile.

Not much difference and for inland waters or if I was say in the Keys I think the S has a lot going for it for piece of mind. I don't think it is a question of it you will hit something, but when. Saying that there are a lot of D's on inland lakes with happy owner's.

I would give the Colo. guy a day or so this time of the year things can be nuts for people. Personally I thought all of those boats were $3000 to $5000 high if I remember right.

Did you check this.....................

http://www.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/mash.c...c=&fil=&ys=&ye=&ps=&pe=&pgs=100&submit=++++go++++

I know you want to buy close to home, but for the right boat at the right price and especially if I was going to have it for some time I would think nothing of traveling an extra 1000 miles to get it, but where I live I'm use to driving a lot anyway (cloest Walmart is 90 miles one way).

We found our Mac (AZ), Suburban (AZ), Dingy (FL) and Dingy outboard (CA) all on Craig's list using that site.

Good luck,

Sum

Our Mac Pages

Mac Links

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
The only difference in speed between the D and the S was that the D was slightly faster because the slot for the swing keel caused some underwater disturbance.

It was rumored that the S sailors were putting a hinged door over the slot to cure this probleem.

By the way the swing keel 26 swings compleatly into the hull.

See here--http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7076785769434785211#

I did and would consider a 26 S, but I like the idea of the dagger board being completely retracted without any under belly turbulance. In my reality, I don't think it would make any real difference. The most important thing is unloading and sailing as quick as possible from a trailer. My wife is now worried that if I actually get a power sailor, nobody will like the runabout.... Which doesn't bother me at all. :D The Marina in CO. has not attempted to contact me through my two emails with questions. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.