Question about mast line

Nov 26, 2017
Hunter 260 Mille Lacs
ClnHse: in the drawing you posted the piece labeled 7... what is it? It should be a track of some kind with at least one slot in it for the jib’s luff rope to ride in. Is that right?

Nov 26, 2017
Hunter 260 Mille Lacs
Just found a manual online for H22. We’ve all sorta been steering you wrong, or not quite hearing you. Your boat has the forestay integrated into the luff of the jib, so as you said from the start, the jib itself is what holds your mast up in the front. That integrated luff wire attaches to a swivel bearing at the mast and a furling drum at the bow fitting. As such, as with my boat but for different reasons, you have no need for the jib halyard.

The manual I’m looking at doesn’t show a halyard at all. My guess is that it’s there in case you ever want to replace your “jib with integrated forestay” setup with a traditional forestay and hanked jib, or a forestay and separate furling system setup. In this case you would need the jib halyard (unless the furling system has an internal one like mine and rgrangers, in which case you still wouldn't need it).

The other possibility is that it’s there purely as a spinnaker/genneker halyard:

In any case you can use the halyard for pulling up a jib sock type sail cover to protect your jib from the elements when it's furled.

Last edited:

clnhse

Aug 6, 2018
hunter 22 Grand isle
number 7 it the top of the jib, it is a cable that runs along the leading edge.

Nov 26, 2017
Hunter 260 Mille Lacs
Yep, I should have deleted that question, per next post.... Your forestay is integrated into the luff of your jib, so as you said from the beginning, the jib holds the mast up and needs no halyard. So, per your original question: you can use the halyard (red line) for raising a jib sock type sail cover to protect your jib when it is furled, as a halyard for raising a spinnekar/gennekar/asymm, or as a jib halyard if you ever replace your existing setup with a traditional forestay. Otherwise, you don't need it. Just tie it off at the bottom of the mast and sail-on!

Nov 26, 2017
Hunter 260 Mille Lacs
PS - if you don't intend to use it, you can very tightly tape a lighter weight messenger line to the end of the halyard, pull that through, and tie it off at both ends at the base of the mast, so you don't have the red line cluttering up your deck. If you ever want it back, just reverse the process and use the messenger to pull the halyard back through. Use good quality 1/8" line for the messenger so it doesn't rot from exposure and leave you with an "un-threaded" mast in the event you should ever want the halyard back.