Question about mast line

clnhse

Aug 6, 2018
hunter 22 Grand isle
I just purchased a sweet 2014 h22. Trying to understand one rigging wire. I am not a real sailor.
The mast has three lines, the main line, a red line that exits the mast on the front above where the jib swivel connects and one fixed line to the rear of the mast to hold up the boom...

What it the line that exits the front of the mast?.. for a spinnaker?

Attachments

Dave Groshong

SBO Staff
Staff member
Jan 25, 2007
Catalina 22 Seattle
The lines that raise sails, halyards, yes, you should have a mainsail halyard, headsail/jib halyard and spinnaker halyard. The line that goes to the end of the boom to hold the boom up when the sail is not up, that's a topping lift.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
That's a beautiful boat! The red line - is this in addition to the jib halyard? Based on your description, of you only have three, and one's the "fixed line to the rear of the mast to hold up the boom," then the other two are main halyard and jib halyard.

clnhse

Aug 6, 2018
hunter 22 Grand isle
But the jib has a roller at the top that is fixed to the mast. So, the mast is held in place by the jib. I do not understand what the front line is for?

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
But the jib has a roller at the top that is fixed to the mast. So, the mast is held in place by the jib. I do not understand what the front line is for?
Perhaps the "furler" you refer to is the upper bearing that would work to raise and lower the jib. The jib would connect to the bottom of the bearing. That's to assume the bearing has an upper and a lower shackle connection pint.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Take some pictures. You could have a jib halyard that you are not using because you have an internal halyard on a roller furler.

Nov 26, 2017
Hunter 260 Mille Lacs
As rgranger says, the red line is probably the jib halyard. If you have a furling jib you don’t need it (other than for pulling a sleeve cover up over the furled jib if you want). You could also use it as a spinnaker /genneker halyard. If you didn’t have a furler, the luff (leading edge) of your jib would have hanks (clips) for attaching the jib to the forestay (cable from mast to the front of the boat that’s inside your furled sail). You’d then use the red line to pull the head of the jib up to the mast.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
If you have a furling jib you don’t need it
What kind of furler would that be? Every headsail furler I have ever had, or know about, requires a jib halyard to raise the jib, the jib's luff tape being fed into the groove in the foil.

Nov 26, 2017
Hunter 260 Mille Lacs
Not sure if his furler is the same, but mine has it’s own halyard that runs in a groove on one side of the luff tape extrusion, over a sheave built into the top swivel and then back down a the other side of the extrusion. You attach that end to the head of the jib and then pull down on the other end to run the jib up the furler extrusion. No attachment of sail to mast halyard at all.

Nov 26, 2017
Hunter 260 Mille Lacs
OP: Jviss could well be right. I made an assumption that all furlers work like mine. Sounds like that’s not the case, so you may need the halyard for pulling the jib up the furler. Sorry if I’ve created confusion.

JVISS: if the halyard raises the sail in the furler groove, it seems like there would need to be some kind of swivel between the halyard and the head of the sail to prevent the halyard from twisting as the sail is furled unfurled... is that right?

Nov 26, 2017
Hunter 260 Mille Lacs
Ah... got it. Mine is a totally different design. I kinda like your better because you you can control headsail luff tension. (I’m not really an advanced enough sailor for that that matter, but I’m working on it! :)). On mine the headsail luff tension is fixed once the sail is set in the furler.

Nov 26, 2017
Hunter 260 Mille Lacs
I’m reading back through all the comments. I think granger has the right terminology for how mine works... “internal halyard on a roller furler”.

Clnhse, if that’s what you have then you done need the red line other than for raising a sail cover. The furler extrusion will have a groove on either side with a line running in one side up to the swivel near the mast.

If like the picture JViss posted, you’ll need the red line for raising you jib in the furler slot.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Ah... got it. Mine is a totally different design. I kinda like your better because you you can control headsail luff tension. (I’m not really an advanced enough sailor for that that matter, but I’m working on it! :)). On mine the headsail luff tension is fixed once the sail is set in the furler.
Goin' out on a limb here, but your's sounds like a CDI Flexible Furler 2.

image.jpeg

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
requires a jib halyard to raise the jib
The CDI that is being referenced has that halyard internal, and not on the mast. The track has effectively two tracks, and the halyard rides inside the aft one, with the bitter end tying off the tack of the sail. (It has plusses and minuses, external to this topic) The CDI is also encapsulating the stay, and while it's function is the same as a larger boat, the setup and operation is slightly different, with the stay attaching inside the drum and the CDI assembly attaching to the thingee (I was on a roll there) on the deck.

EDIT: chainplate! It attaches to the chainplate on the deck.

clnhse

Aug 6, 2018
hunter 22 Grand isle
The Jib is permanently attached to the mast on a short cable with a swivel. The extra line is labeled as a jib halyard but I think it might be for a spinnaker? I could use it for the jib?

Attachments

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Not sure if his furler is the same, but mine has it’s own halyard that runs in a groove on one side of the luff tape extrusion, over a sheave built into the top swivel and then back down a the other side of the extrusion. You attach that end to the head of the jib and then pull down on the other end to run the jib up the furler extrusion. No attachment of sail to mast halyard at all.
:plus:
Yep. Mine is just like that.