Proper way to attach spare tire as working tongue wheel

Feb 26, 2023
Catalina 16.5k Lake Norman
Hi all. I'm brand new here, so please excuse me if this has been posted elsewhere. I just joined a club with my Catalina 16.5k (fixed keel). I'll probable have to cable launch it from the trailer with a 30 foot strap.
I've read that I need to mount my spare tire on the tongue in a working manner as opposed to letting the trailer roll down the ramp on the tongue jack. How do I mount the spare tire this way? What equipment do I use? How do you more experienced folks go about this? Thanks!

Apr 3, 2020
Hunter 23.5 Frenchtown, MT
Hi and welcome! I had to google to figure out what that boat is. That's so light I can't imagine the tongue jack having troubles. But, the typical way I've seen is to mount an axle stub with a hub, bolt the wheel to that and Bob's yer uncle.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Or you can leave the spare where it is and use something like this: 1000 lb. Swing-Away Trailer Jack
It swings up out of the way when the boat is hitched to the car, and gets lowered when you want to move the boat around without the car. The axle-stub with a spare on it method would seem to work, but only in a straight line. The trailer-jack unit swivels, so might be more useful moving the boat around the driveway or parking lot.

Feb 26, 2023
Catalina 16.5k Lake Norman
Thanks everybody. Looks like I'll be alright using the tongue jack. I'll probably replace it since it's a bit worse for wear. I appreciate the help.

JBP-PA

Apr 29, 2022
Jeanneau Tonic 23 Erie, PA
Right. REMEMBER CHOCKS! Nothing is less fun than lifting your trailer off the hitch in preparation to launch it and watch roll down the ramp and launch itself.

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
My brother rope launched his O'Day 24 on the tongue jack. You can get some serious tongue jacks.
This one can carry twice the weight of your entire boat:

Here is an "off road" version
The off-road jack @JBP-PA linked has 8" wheels, and would probably work fine at most boat ramps (for your light boat).

But one word of caution: The best ramp I've regularly launched at has really deep drainage grooves in the concrete (you can see them at https://www.thurstontalk.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/swantownlaunch.jpg - they're maybe 6-8" apart and 2-3" wide). I think even the 8" wheels could get caught in those and torque the jack. But of course you'll pick your ramps with care.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Thanks everybody. Looks like I'll be alright using the tongue jack. I'll probably replace it since it's a bit worse for wear. I appreciate the help.
Here's another option. We used these at my old sailing club to launch the Lido 14's and Hobie's . Easier and faster to handle. Store in boat or pick up bed, You'll love it.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
I wouldn’t use the spare tire. I’d make something out of wheelbarrow or comparable tires that do not require bearing a and a hub.

Mar 2, 2019
Oday 25 Milwaukee
With our Oday 25 being rather heavy to say the least , I tried to use the trailer jack to move the trailer around .
The pin that allows the jack to pivot horizontally bent and came out of the locking holes almost immediately .
So I mounted a rather substantial pivoting caster right beneath the jack . I made sure the caster sat lower than the jack so I trailer tongue would contact the caster and I could still pivot the jack . The caster is rated for 10,000 pounds
wheel.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
The spare tire on the tounge is the way to go.

get an axle stub with the same size spindle as your trailer's axle mount it on the tounge with u-bolts similar to the way your axle is attached to the springs.

The really cool part is you have a spare hub as well as a spare tire.

LloydB

Jan 15, 2006
Macgregor 22 Silverton
You should look at Sumners modifications to his trailer they are not boat brand specific and well thought out.
My thinking is that the solid metal wheel trailer jack is only effective on smooth and hard dry launch surface. Gravel, sand or mud not so much.

Jul 15, 2022
Merit 22 Carter Lake
After breaking a plastic wheel on the tongue jack in those drainage grooves, I replaced the inner plastic wheel with two external pneumatic wheels with bearings using 1/2" threaded rod and a spacer in the yoke where the old wheel was. I use the green "handle" to steer the empty trailer for recovery. I did sacrifice tilting the wheel out of the way, but I have enough clearance when fully retracted and get about 330* of rotation. BTW, this is still a work in progress.
20230228_143235.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I use to recommend the two wheel swing away on either the swing keel or fixed keel Catalina 16.5 as it made it much easier to roll around when attending the Annapolis Sailboat Show as a dealer. Even Frank Butler liked that idea. Frank owned Catalina but is deceased now.