• Mobile App For Android Now Online!

Download it here. The app is searchable in the Google Play Store under Sailboat Owners.

Sorry iPhone/iPad users, we are still waiting on Apple. :(

Click the X in the upper right corner to make this go away

Propeller nut woes...

Nov 7, 2012
1978 Catalina 30 Wilbur-by-the-Sea
Put a new propeller on my 1" shaft.

The old propeller was held on by two nuts and no cotter pin. I ordered a castle nut but even utilizing the thinner jam nut I can not get access to the cotter pin hole in the shaft. I need about another 1/4" before the hole lines up and there is too little meat left on the shaft to drill a new cotter pin hole.

Any suggestions? I really do want to use a cotter pin here.

Attachments

Nov 7, 2012
Just had a though while looking at the pictures I posted. Could I put the castle nut on with the crown forward if the hole lines up?

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Just tossing this out there-

Think you could shim it with some bronze/aluminum/stainless washers?

Nov 7, 2012
I was thinking of that. Just ditching the second nut and going with stainless washers and the castle nut/ cotter pin. Is it bad mojo jnot to have two nuts?

:p

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 Island Hunter West Vancouver, B.C.
Is it bad mojo jnot to have two nuts?
Don't know how it would affect your mojo but I suspect it would have a significant effect on your voice :redface:.

Barring that, and if you're determined to have a lock nut, any chance you could grind down the leading lock nut until it was the right thickness ? Doesn't look like it would take much until you could get a pin into the castle nut.

However, if that won't work, I agree with justsomeguy that a single castle nut and shim washers would be preferable and the cotter pin is mandatory. Lock nuts alone just aren't secure enough.

The attached shows a single castle nut and pin on our boat. If I'm not mistaken, I think most boats I've seen while working on the hard only have a single crown nut and pin.

Attachments

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
Oday 28 Traverse City
Did you lap in the propeller? You may get the added distance and more secure propeller fitment.

Aug 8, 2006
Catalina 34 Naples FL
I noticed your prop has a flair at the ends of the blades like winglets on an airplane. What is that? I have not seen this before.

Nov 7, 2012
I noticed your prop has a flair at the ends of the blades like winglets on an airplane. What is that? I have not seen this before.
It's an Indigo 3 blade. They designed it just for the Atomic 4. Folks say you can get about 2k +rpm and 6.5 knots out of it on a Catalina 30. Good reverse also. Hope all the fan fair is justified.

Nov 7, 2012
Did you lap in the propeller? You may get the added distance and more secure propeller fitment.
I think I will try that. Still have the puller so nothing to loose.