Prop shaft zinc 321

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
Look Martyr is the largest anode maker in the world and CMC25eruoZ=zinc and is 5/8 thick CMC25euroM =Mag5/8 thick and CMC25euroA =Aluim 5/8 thick .
The one you are saying at West Marine is NOT martyr and its not 22.95 or 1/2 inch thick
Martyr also makes limited clearance CMC25Z,CMC25M and CMC25A which is 1.25 inches wide which I now use as I added a RD coupling between my coupling haves extending the shaft allow for the extra width
I pay 20 dollars CDN for mine which is like 14 US and the eruo style is cheaper

Home - Martyr Anodes look at there catalog no one compares

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2011
Achilles SD-130 Alameda, CA
OK, here's the deal- you guys are looking at different anodes, NOT the Beneteau limited clearance (or "micro-thin" anodes.) Typical limited clearance anodes are available in both metric and SAE sizes and are usually around an inch thick. The special micro-thin limited clearance anodes (initially developed specifically for French boats) are available in most metric and some SAE sizes. They run about 1/2" thick.

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
Look, I don't care. I have no dog in this hunt. Just got interested because I have been having zinc problems.

Here is the Martyr item CMC25EURO at West for $8.79 in zinc.
.61" / 15.5 mm thick.

LB KG H OD ID
Al
CMC25EUROA
0.211​
mm
Mg
CMC25EUROM
0.149​
in
.61 2.36 .98
Zn
CMC25EURO
0.485​

The BoatZinc item is 11/16" / 17.5 mm. A little thicker than the Martyr. It is also 3" in diameter compared to 2.36" for the Martyr. Thus the BoatZinc item is heavier (.9 lbs vs .485 lbs)) and probably provides more protection for the extra money - $14.53.

I would imagine both would fit the Benetau.

Besides the Martyr, West ALSO sells another zinc that should fit the limited clearance 25mm shaft :
SEA SHIELD MARINE–Beneteau Micro Collar, 25mm $22.99

I don't know why you would buy that over the other two for the money.

fstbtms, I know you do this for a living and I am not trying to be argumentative. I've learned much from your posts. But as I see it the Martyr CMC25EURO from West Marine for $8.79 should fit shouldn't it? I'm not saying it is the best buy pound for pound, just that it is an option.

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
Look, I don't care. I have no dog in this hunt. Just got interested because I have been having zinc problems.

Here is the Martyr item CMC25EURO at West for $8.79 in zinc.
.61" / 15.5 mm thick.

LB KG H OD ID
Al
CMC25EUROA
0.211​
mm
Mg
CMC25EUROM
0.149​
in
.61 2.36 .98
Zn
CMC25EURO
0.485​

The BoatZinc item is 11/16" / 17.5 mm. A little thicker than the Martyr. It is also 3" in diameter compared to 2.36" for the Martyr. Thus the BoatZinc item is heavier (.9 lbs vs .485 lbs)) and probably provides more protection for the extra money - $14.53.

I would imagine both would fit the Benetau.

Besides the Martyr, West ALSO sells another zinc that should fit the limited clearance 25mm shaft :
SEA SHIELD MARINE–Beneteau Micro Collar, 25mm $22.99

I don't know why you would buy that over the other two for the money.

fstbtms, I know you do this for a living and I am not trying to be argumentative. I've learned much from your posts. But as I see it the Martyr CMC25EURO from West Marine for $8.79 should fit shouldn't it? I'm not saying it is the best buy pound for pound, just that it is an option.
It 100 % fits PERIOD I have used them for years , holly smokes fstbtms let it go you are wrong

Feb 26, 2011
...as I see it the Martyr CMC25EURO from West Marine for $8.79 should fit shouldn't it? I'm not saying it is the best buy pound for pound, just that it is an option.
Of course it fits and I never said otherwise. I didn't realize that West Marine sold that anode until now.

Oct 10, 2018
Beneteau 321 Bay Harbor Marina, Bay City MI
What I ordered was a Sea Shield Marine---Beneteau Micro Collar 25mm----$22.99
The cost was not the prime directive. I was looking for one that fits. It is only 1/2 thick and for a 25mm shaft. And zinc as I am in salt water. My intention was to supplement the prop anode for better length of time. I am happy with all the advice that I have receive. When I get back to Fl. I will let you know how it fits.

DPW

Feb 9, 2017
Beneteau 43 Hingham, MA
on the same topic: I have Beneteau 43, 2008. I used to put a collar zinc on the shat and a prop zinc. However, sailing in the NE finally convinced me to add a line cutter to the shaft and now there is not enough room for a collar. The standard prop zinc by itself does not last the season. Does anyone know if there are larger size prop zincs available?

Feb 26, 2011
on the same topic: I have Beneteau 43, 2008. I used to put a collar zinc on the shat and a prop zinc. However, sailing in the NE finally convinced me to add a line cutter to the shaft and now there is not enough room for a collar. The standard prop zinc by itself does not last the season. Does anyone know if there are larger size prop zincs available?
The size is the size. You should've known better when you bought a French boat :biggrin:

That said:

Attachments

DPW

Feb 9, 2017
Beneteau 43 Hingham, MA
Vive la France - that said, love this solution if it works with my cutter. Thanks for quick response!

Feb 26, 2011
Vive la France - that said, love this solution if it works with my cutter. Thanks for quick response!
No, you miss the point. This is an anode with the cutter attached as an integral part. When the anode is depleted you replace the whole thing.

DPW

Feb 9, 2017
Beneteau 43 Hingham, MA
I have a different type of cutter on my boat. Can't find a pic but it has a stationary blade and a spinning part that pulls the line into the fixed blade. I will be on the boat this weekend and will get a pic. Thx.

Feb 26, 2011
I have a different type of cutter on my boat. Can't find a pic but it has a stationary blade and a spinning part that pulls the line into the fixed blade. I will be on the boat this weekend and will get a pic. Thx.
You have the "Spurs" line cutter?

Feb 26, 2011
Well, unless you want to remove the Spurs (and sell it or whatever). it doesn't sound like the Salca setup is going to be of use to you.

DPW

Feb 9, 2017
Beneteau 43 Hingham, MA
so now i have a french boat AND the wrong type cutter - hmmm;-)

thanks for the info!

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
You could use a temporary fish style zinc to augment the prop zinc. They need to be connected to ground and taken in and out of the water when slimy, but if the prop zinc isn’t enough it might be worth it for you.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
It doesn’t make any difference if its a French built Beneteau or US built, there simply isn’t space between the skeg and the front of the prop for a shaft zinc more than a half inch in thickness regardless of the diameter.

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
Add an R&D coupling between the coupling half and it moves the shaft back about 1.2 inches giving you the room and now the advantage of a coupling for alignment , isolating against galvanic corrosion , vibration and overload protection.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Add an R&D coupling between the coupling half and it moves the shaft back about 1.2 inches giving you the room and now the advantage of a coupling for alignment , isolating against galvanic corrosion , vibration and overload protection.
I wonder If there would be enough clearance to prevent my prop in the folded position from hitting the front of the rudder...Not a bad idea for all of the other benefits mentioned by Mechone.