Prop shaft zinc 321

Oct 10, 2018
Beneteau 321 Bay Harbor Marina, Bay City MI
Has anyone put a zinc donut on prop shaft on 321 with Yanmar. I know that one goes on the nut (25mm) but there looks to be a small gap in front of prop. Boat is 1400 miles away right now but wonder has any put one in this spot?

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
I use a shaft collar zinc between the prop and the skeg on my 323, just left space for water to get to the cutlass bearing.
I should be using magnesium because I’m in fresh water but haven’t been able to to find one.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I usually pick up a magnesium shaft anode at my local yacht store each spring when they have their open house. I also pick up VC17 bottom paint.

I use 2 anodes on my shaft, and replace 1 each year...they are very deteriorated.....
94E20766-1861-4470-A5F2-19F263CA83DE.jpeg
The other one isn’t nearly this bad...

I saw this the other day and wondered if aluminum would work in fresh water...

The price is right for sure...if it works.

Anyone have any experience In fresh water?

Greg

Jul 8, 2005
Jeanneau 389 Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
I use a shaft collar zinc between the prop and the skeg on my 323, just left space for water to get to the cutlass bearing.
I should be using magnesium because I’m in fresh water but haven’t been able to to find one.
Hi Doug,
Have you looked at Boatzincs.com? They have magnesium shaft collars. not sure if they have the size that fits your 323.
Chris

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
wondered if aluminum would work in fresh water...
Check the alloy composition. Aluminum is actually less nobel than zinc, but most aluminum is an alloy that is higher on the chart.

-Will (Dragonfly)

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Hi Doug,
Have you looked at Boatzincs.com? They have magnesium shaft collars. not sure if they have the size that fits your 323.
Chris
Boat zincs was where I got the Zinc collar. They did not, at the time at least, show a flat 1/2 inch collar in their inventory. There is no space between the front of the prop and the back of the skeg for anything thicker.
The zinc anode in fresh water serves no useful purpose, I know that much. Aluminum would be better to a point as Will stated, if it was not an alloy.
I think the last time I replaced that zinc was about 8 years ago, and it didn’t need replacement then. The screws holding it in place were starting to show corrosion though.

Oct 10, 2018
No, salt water, the boat is in Port Charlotte, Florida. The small anode on the prop is good for about 6 months. Bought a fish anode from West marine that really helped but a pita to remember to take it out before leaving the slip. Looking to make it a whole year without the fish.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Bought a fish anode from West marine that really helped but a pita to remember to take it out before leaving the slip. Looking to make it a whole year without the fish.
Bought a fish anode from West marine that really helped but a pita to remember to take it out before leaving the slip.
Attach it to a dock line or put a tether on it to the helm. Something that forces you to deal with it before getting underway. Not that you need to keep it, if you want a better shaft anode.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
For Beneteau the only one that fits is Martyr anodes 25mm for your boat and it must be euro style and its available in zinc, mag and alum .Euro style is thin to fit between prop and skeg and still allow water to exit cutlassView attachment 188267MARTYR Aluminium Euro-Style Thin Collar | West Marine
That is what I use. I have one laying around the condo somewhere, but i think it is just 3/4 thick. I have pics of Doug's prop, and his zink looks somewhat buldged. With the screws being a bit long, I bend them so they can't unscrew and dump the zinc in the briney deep. Not sure that is is "Euro", though.

Oct 10, 2018
Plan on better shaft anode but a good tip Dragonfly. The simplest way is often missed (that's me).:facepalm:

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
You ordered a 1" anode to be used on a 25mm shaft. It's too big by 4/10mm and will not seat properly. You need an actual 25mm collar:

I think what he ordered is actually 25 mm. For some reason in some places it is called 1" but if you look at the specs from Marytr for that item it shows as 25mm id.

Feb 26, 2011
Achilles SD-130 Alameda, CA
I think what he ordered is actually 25 mm. For some reason in some places it is called 1" but if you look at the specs from Marytr for that item it shows as 25mm id.
Then Mechone provided the wrong link. Here's is the correct one (still cheaper by a bunch at BoatZincs.com):

Feb 26, 2011
No he didn't the one I posted is 25mm read the fine print west marine seems to thinks its 1 inch and the one they listed for 1.1/2 is actually 40mm
Well, the West Marine website is clearly screwed up. Even still, these anodes are much cheaper at BoatZincs.com

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
Well, the West Marine website is clearly screwed up. Even still, these anodes are much cheaper at BoatZincs.com
$8.79 for the Martyr item at West,

$14.53 for the one at BoatZincs

But the BoatZincs one is wider, thicker and weighs almost twice as much.

Feb 26, 2011
$8.79 for the Martyr item at West
West Marine
1/2" thick
$22.99

$14.53 for the one at BoatZincs
But the BoatZincs one is wider, thicker and weighs almost twice as much.
BoatZincs.com
11/16" thick
$14.53

• Helpful