Prop shaft vibration, cutless bearing costs??

wilf

Jan 25, 2017
oday 25 oday 25 long beach
Thought i would give you all an update on the original post, i got the yard that i used to do carpentry work for to haul it out and let me work on it, i replaced the cutlass, prop straightened, and engine aligned, the shaft hardly vibrates now unless its full throttle and no where as bad as it was, it ended up costing me $1100 and that included the bottom paint, took me 2 days so no where near the amount the other yard quoted me, i did have to drop the rudder to get the bearing out though, but it was pretty easy, so thanks to everyone who helped with suggestions and info

Jan 11, 2017
Hunter 37c Kingston
Bully for you! I'm in the middle of this with a few wrinkles (bearing push, 5/8 steel, bent without moving bearing) but to do this first time and roll right through like you have is a GRAND thing. I've pulled many cutlass bearings but the best "shaft out" technique I have seen is on Main Sail, bar none.

wilf

Jan 25, 2017
oday 25 oday 25 long beach
Bully for you! I'm in the middle of this with a few wrinkles (bearing push, 5/8 steel, bent without moving bearing) but to do this first time and roll right through like you have is a GRAND thing. I've pulled many cutlass bearings but the best "shaft out" technique I have seen is on Main Sail, bar none.
I cut the bearing out as i was taking the shaft out too so it went easy, good luck

Apr 22, 2009
Pearson P-31 Quantico
Thanks, ive been in construction most of my life and am pretty handy on most things but know nothing about engines and drives etc, problem is having the place to do it, theres a boat yard near that allows diy boat work if i knew how ling it takes, also if engine mounts need replaced doesnt that involve a crane to lift the engine up?
Lift motor using come-along and boom, or a few flattened basketballs and a good pump.