Prop Review / Campbell Sailor

Jul 25, 2004
Hunter 42 currently in New Zealand
Max RPM question,

Is maximum RPM the same thing as the engine manufacturers' maximum RPM rating? I have a Yanmar 4JH2-TE 62 HP on a Passage 42, and the engine rating is 3400 continuous and 3600 max for 30 minutes. I am ordering a new CS propeller and would like to see what my max RPM should be. Would the max RPM be 3600? Am I figuring that correctly?

Thanks for any knowledge out there on the issue,
Paul

Oct 22, 2008
- Telstar 28 Buzzards Bay
And that reliability is very important in Maine waters, where you can walk across some stretches on the lobster pot markers... :)
Yup!! :doh: Fixed it.. Still 200% more drag is a lot and you still get all the benefits and reliability of a simple fixed three bladed prop..

Jan 26, 2013
Niagara 35 MkI Baltimore
CS prop

Maine Sail,

I am considering replacing my MW 17x10 2-blade with a Campbell Sailor and I came across this thread from 2009 and I am hoping to benefit a bit from your experience.

Are you still using your CS and have you been as pleased with it as you were when you wrote the post?

I am concerned about the size of the prop they have proposed (15x8 3-blade) because I would like to avoid having to change it as it seems others, including yourself, have had to do.

My boat is a Niagara 35, as you know, with specifications not too different than your CS. It has a Westerbeke 42b4 and a Hurth HBW-150V-2R (2.13:1).

The 17x10 2-blade does fine, enough power and gets me up to the 3,600 rpm, however, even though the running gear is in good condition and properly aligned, there is still some vibration and I typically cruise at 2,000-2,200 even though Westerbeke recommends 2,500 rpm minimum. Even though I don't have much vibration now, I am still hoping to eliminate most of it with a 3-blade.

You had your prop adjusted to 16x9 and reduced the cupping as well. I don't know how different that would be than the 15x8 they are recommending. Even though our boats and drivetrain are somewhat different, particularly your 3,000 max rpm, I would appreciate your thoughts about their recommendation.

Thanks,
Rob

After much research and consternation I decided on a new prop this past winter.

After consulting with Norm at West By North, the makers of the Campbell Sailor. I ordered a 16"X10X1" RH prop.

The CS prop is EXTREMELY efficient. Norm spec'd mine at 16" diameter X a 10 pitch. I was skeptical at first because my three blade Michigan Wheel was a 16" X 12 pitch which is a lot more aggressive. I could not understand how, with loosing so much surface area, I could also reduce pitch? Norm used the Michigan Wheel prop size calculator, which he tweaks for the CS prop design, and decided on the 16X10. Unfortunately when I got the 16X10 it was still over propped and I was under max rated RPM by about 300 RPM. Not good.. Over propping your engine is never a good idea so I wanted to fix this as soon as possible.

Once I discovered the 16X10 was still to aggressive, despite the blade surface area being MUCH smaller than the Michigan Wheel, I called Norm. Norm decided to drop the pitch to a 9 and remove some of the cupping on the trailing edge of the CS props blade. Norm's rational was 1" of pitch for a 200 +/- reduction in RPM then some reduced cupping for another 50 +/- RPM. Again this is not an exact science.

The customer service Norm provides is stellar! He actually sent me a brand new replacement prop ahead of time so I could literally change out my prop, with the boat still in the slings, and then send the used 16X10 prop back. The 16X9 prop worked flawlessly and I am now within 30-50 RPM of max rated with a clean bottom and prop.

Jun 28, 2005
Hunter H33 2004 Mumford Cove,CT & Block Island
One minor point Maine Sail...going from 13 lbs. of drag to 39 lbs. of drag is a 200% increase, not 300% increase... if the CS prop was causing 9-10 lbs. of drag and the MW 39 lbs. it would be a 300% increase...
Im not sure that using percentages greater than 100 expresses the comparison effectively, alternate other ways, e.g., MS is 3x drag of CS, CS is 1/3 drag of MS, CS has 33% of the MS drag, or CS has 67% less drag, all seem easier to grasp IMHI.

Dec 30, 2009
jeanneau 38 gin fizz sloop Summer- Keyport Yacht Club, Raritan Bay, NJ, Winter Viking Marina Verplanck, NY
Maine I have a 16" 12 pitch, RH 2 blade campbell sailor prop, I was thinkin of going to a three blade and was given a quote for a mich wheel, same, your'e sayin this is a bigger heavier wheel, right??? what do u think....Red

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Maine I have a 16" 12 pitch, RH 2 blade campbell sailor prop, I was thinkin of going to a three blade and was given a quote for a mich wheel, same, your'e sayin this is a bigger heavier wheel, right??? what do u think....Red
Actually the MW is probably lighter weight due to the wing shaped blades of the CS.

If going Michigan be sure it is a "Michigan Sailer" prop and not a Michigan MP prop.. The Michigan Sailer is not a bad three blade, pretty smooth, but I still prefer the CS over the Michigan Sailer...

Dec 30, 2009
jeanneau 38 gin fizz sloop Summer- Keyport Yacht Club, Raritan Bay, NJ, Winter Viking Marina Verplanck, NY
he called it a mich wheel, pretty sure its coming from General propeller. Won't the pitch be different on a 3 blade as a 2 blade....how would I figure this out. whats the difference mich wheel or mich MP?? Red

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2009
I am confused, Michigan sells both the Michigan sailor prop, and a Michigan MP prop, and the campbell sailor is sold by Who? and your prefrence is the 3-cambell sailor over the 3-michigan sailor....Red

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
I am confused, Michigan sells both the Michigan sailor prop, and a Michigan MP prop, and the campbell sailor is sold by Who? and your prefrence is the 3-cambell sailor over the 3-michigan sailor....Red
Michigan makes both the MP prop and the Michigan Sailer. For a sailboat you'd want the Michigan Sailor.

Michigan Sailer:

West by North makes the Campbell Sailor prop. I do like it better than the Michigan Sailer.

What ever you do PLEASE let the prop shop or supplier size it for you. Make sure they will re-pitch, at their expense, if their sizing is incorrect. If you size it yourself it could get very expensive....

Dec 30, 2009
thanks, I like the michigan sailor....Red