Prop Review / Campbell Sailor

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
After much research and consternation I decided on a new prop this past winter.

Mechanical vs. Fixed:

As much as I would have liked a feathering prop, Max-Prop was my choice, I decided against it after speaking at length with my local prop shop and a few friends at boat yards. With the tides in Maine we get lots of floating debris, floating line and lobster pots. As was stated to me by more than one prop shop, and numerous Maine boat yard techs, the mechanical props are just not as reliable when you hit something. This happens in Maine and has happened to a couple of my own customers.. This is not to say they are not durable but when I was staring at a four year old mechanical prop overhaul, on the bench at my local shop, for "$900.00-$1000.00", it made the financial part of the decision that much easier.

The minimal drag of a feathering prop would be welcomed but I don't race my own boat so 3-6 seconds per mile lost out to cost, durability, simplicity and reliability. Folders were not even considered this time around and because I have already owned them in the past it was easy to rule them out this time.

Two blades vs. three:

For me this one is easy. Over the years I have had numerous two blade props and have never found one I liked. When I want to use my motor I want a real motor not the feel of an electric trolling motor.;) With the tidal currents in Maine and the lack of summer winds we often see, having a smooth well balanced three blade prop is a must for us.

I am not one who is afraid to fire up the Japanese genny when the wind dips below 5 knots, especially with an antsy toddler who's ready for some island exploring etc... We also like to venture up some of our many rivers which can have massive currents. Two blade props have never given me a feeling of total confidence, with a small aux motor, in battling head on with these currents.

Which Fixed Prop?:

After lots of talks with customers, & trial use on actual boats, I decided on a Campbell Sailor Prop ("CS" from here forth). I had read many, many, many prop reviews & discussions using the search tool on about 20+ sailing forums, from SBO to SCCA to SailNet, and every one in-between. One thing I noticed was that I had not read much if any negative comments about the CS, other than sizing issues.. So the Campbell Sailor three blade it was.

Ordering:

After consulting with Norm at West By North, the makers of the Campbell Sailor. I ordered a 16"X10X1" RH prop. The prop took about three to four weeks for delivery which was fine due to my off season planning.

Sizing:

Contrary to popular beliefs and misconceptions prop sizing is NOT an exact science. In order to hit max RPM and size the prop to do that without going over or under by much is not easy and often takes two or more attempts to get it spot on. I can remember working with my old friend Brian, a marine surveyor, who always checked the prop sizing against max rated RPM. We found that close to half the boats had the wrong size prop.

The CS prop isvery efficient. Norm spec'd mine at 16" diameter X a 10 pitch. I was skeptical at first because my three blade Michigan Wheel was a 16" X 12 pitch which is a lot more aggressive. I could not understand how, with loosing so much surface area, I could also reduce pitch? Norm used the Michigan Wheel prop size calculator, which he tweaks for the CS prop design, and decided on the 16X10. Unfortunately when I got the 16X10 it was still over-propped and I was under max rated RPM by about 300 RPM. Not good.. Over propping your engine is not a good idea, and will even void a warranty, so I wanted to fix this as soon as possible.

Once I discovered the 16X10 was still to aggressive, despite the blade surface area being much smaller than the Michigan Wheel, I called Norm. Norm decided to drop the pitch to a 9 and remove some of the cupping on the trailing edge of the CS props blade. Norm's rational was 1" of pitch for a 200 +/- reduction in RPM then some reduced cupping for another 50 +/- RPM. Again, this is not an exact science.

The customer service Norm provides is very good. He actually sent me a brand new replacement prop ahead of time so I could literally change out my prop, with the boat still in the slings, and then send the used 16X10 prop back. The 16X9 prop worked flawlessly and I am now within 30-50 RPM of max rated with a clean bottom and prop.

If you've been paying attention the Campbell Sailor is a full 3 increments of pitch smaller than the Michigan Wheel prop and has far less surface area for less drag through the water. Efficient does not even begin to describe this props unique design. Pitch is basically the theoretical travel a prop makes in one revolution. For example a 10 pitch will theoretically travel 10" in one full revolution provided there is no "slip", but there is almost always slip..

Vibration / Smoothness:

This prop has proven to be the smoothest prop I have ever used or owned on a sailboat. The drive train exhibits no vibration throughout the entire RPM range even at WOT. My Michigan Wheel was tuned and balanced less than one year ago and still could not compete with the smoothness of the CS even on a brand new shaft.

Prop Walk:

Despite the aggressive design of the CS blades the prop displays less prop walk than did the Michigan Wheel. I can not say it has none, but it is about 60% better than the fixed three blade Michigan was.

Drag:

As some of you may know I conducted my own little prop drag study. The results were rather eye opening. The CS prop has about 13 pounds real of drag at about 4.2-4.4 knots while the three blade Michigan Wheel had about 39 pounds of drag at only 4-4.2 knots. For those of you doing the math that is roughly a 200% increase of drag for the Michigan 16X12 than for the CS 16X10. Yes, this is still more drag than a Max-Prop but nowhere near the drag of the Michigan Wheel..

Speed:

I have always run my boat to put the stern wave right at point where my the hull sides and transom meet but without the water climbing up the transom. This puts me at about 6.6-6.8 knots. I used to be at 2400 RPM to do this with the 16X12 Michigan Wheel and am now consistently at about 2250 to do the exact same thing with the CS 16X9. Both props would hit a WOT max rated throttle of 3000 RPM within +/- 30 RPM.

Fuel Use:

I could not decipher any real measurable difference in fuel consumption perhaps because we also have engine driven refrigeration which tends wreck the mathematics of measuring fuel consumption for moving the vessel through the water.

Conclusion:

If you are looking for a rugged, reliable, smooth and efficient fixed three blade prop with less drag than the typical Michigan Wheels, that come standard on most boats, then the Campbell Sailor certainly fits the bill.

While slightly more expensive than a Michigan Wheel it is certainly considerably less than any of the feathering or folders. I think i paid about $540.00 delivered but I'll need to find my credit card statement to be sure..

I waited until I had nearly a full season of use to post this so it could be more accurate and less impulsive. I find if I write something shortly after I buy it I can be admittedly little more biased, in a pro fashion, towards it, then if I wait and use it more. After nearly a full season of use I find I like it even more now than when I initially bought it, perhaps due to the sizing mishap.

Here's cross sectional comparison of the props unique design comparing the CS to the MW:

Here's a photo of the sheer reduction in surface are which helps result in the 200% reduction in drag between the MW and the CS (13 pounds vs. 39 pounds):

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Nice report

As I recall, didn't Catalina use Campbell props on their boats out of the factory? Ours came with a 2 blade which the PO replaced with a 3 blade. I raced for about five years and the one-design handicap our local C34 fleet gave was appropriate and we did well even dragging the "bucket." Our prop walk is reasonable and I actually use it to our advantage, since leaving our slip is a turn to port going backwards.

Jun 7, 2004
Schock 35 Seattle
The Campbell prop is considered by many to be the finest fixed blade prop for a sailboat. I am curious to know why you did not consider a folding prop.? The blades can be contoured like the fixed prop but will close up when sailing or struck by detritus in the water.

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
Great post, I was thinking of getting one last year when you did the drag test. I still have the original 2 blade that came with my boat. I was waiting till she came out for the winter. You do all the homework which makes it easier on new sailors like myself, although I still read as much as possible before making any decisions.
Contrary to popular beliefs and misconceptions prop sizing is NOT an exact science. In order to hit max RPM and size the prop to do that without going over or under by much is not easy and often takes two or more attempts to get it spot on. I can remember working with my old friend Brian, a marine surveyor, who always checked the prop sizing against max rated RPM.
First off, what is max RPM? In my case, is that what Universal (MX25XP) says is a safe maximum speed to run at? I believe that's around 3300 RPM but I'd never want to be there. I usually cruise around 2000-2300 RPM.
Being over propped means you can't ever get to that RPM? Again, great post. Reading yours is always an education.

howard

Oct 6, 2008
Pearson 422 brunswick
i had the same experences when i went to the campbell prop, i came to me about 300 rpm over pitched. after correcting that it was great with all the advantages mentioned above. the only down side is that the cupping makes it a little hard to clean if you clean your own prop.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Not that it is a muscle car, but do you find that there is any difference off the line? That is, did you lose any low end torque? How about in reverse? i.e. does the boat seem to hesitate more when you start out or about the same?

Feb 6, 1998
Responses..

As I recall, didn't Catalina use Campbell props on their boats out of the factory?
Stu,

Catalina has always used the Michigan Sailor prop, as far as I know. This is basically the same prop, the Michigan MP, that I had, only a cut down version with a narrower blade. I had a three blade Michigan Sailor on my Catalina 36..

First off, what is max RPM? In my case, is that what Universal (MX25XP) says is a safe maximum speed to run at? I believe that's around 3300 RPM but I'd never want to be there. I usually cruise around 2000-2300 RPM.
Being over propped means you can't ever get to that RPM?
Bob S.,

Max RPM is the max rated RPM the engine should be able to turn pushing your boat through the water at wide open throttle predicated on a clean bottom and prop. If you can't get to 3000 RPM you are over propped and if you can easily go over 3000 RPM you are under propped.

For your engine Universal says this;

"Universal recommends a propeller that will allow the engine to turn 3000 RPM underway at full throttle."

The specs are here: http://www.westerbeke.com/ProductBrochures/UNIVENG, M-25XPB.pdf

Not that it is a muscle car, but do you find that there is any difference off the line? That is, did you lose any low end torque? How about in reverse? i.e. does the boat seem to hesitate more when you start out or about the same?
Bob M.,

The boat does seem to stop faster if I want it to, but that is a rare occurrence where I need to do that. As for "off the line" I learned a long time ago running 50+ foot sport fishing boats that you gradually load a diesel. If you just smash the throttle down you'll get black smoke because you're just over loading the engine until the hull catches up. You'll also just be causing added prop slip until the hull speed matches the engines desired performance. I always gradually load my engine until I get to my cruise RPM and desired hull speed.

I've never seen a need to "off the line" performance on any of my sailboats. The bottom line is I see no real difference in how she accelerates, and have no problems with it, but I do move my boat more easily at 2250 RPM vs. the old prop at 2400 RPM doing the same speeds. My guess on this is that the Campbell exhibits less slip than the Michigan due to its blade design.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Re: Responses..

It seems to appear that the Campbell is of a more robust design. Thicker blade cross section than the Michigan. Less subject to damage by debris?

Feb 6, 1998
It seems to appear that the Campbell is of a more robust design. Thicker blade cross section than the Michigan. Less subject to damage by debris?
It does seem that way but I still don't want to test it by hitting something..:D

Oct 6, 2007
Catalina 387 Panama City, FL
Maine Sail:
Thanks for the very through analysis.
I have printed this thread and filed it under "props".
It will be my single source when I replace the prop on my C387!

Bill

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Most boat propellers and many fans look very much the same. The Campbell is the first that has a true airfoil shape appearance. Low speed props and high speed props look very much the same but they shouldn't. What works well at 250 rpm won't necessarily work well at 2500 rpm.

Jul 1, 2007
hunter 29.5 Nanaimo BC
I have had a cambell 16x10 on my 29.5 boat for 4 yrs. I am more than happy with it .
I'm not as technical as some but it performs very well.

Apr 12, 2005
Hunter 36 Cobb Island
This season I replaced my 3 blade fixed prop with a Gori 3 blade folding prop on my Hunter 36. It has exceeded all expectations. The original prop was undersized for the boat. Our cruising range has increased significantly. Under sail we have picked up a Kt due to the folding prop. Prop walk has been elimimated, though sometimes that is not a good thing. Under power I just had to run up the Potomac in 20-25 Kts apparent on the nose against the current and swells. The boat maintained 6 KTs SOG powering thru the swells. Quite impressive. The prop blades pivot individually so they turn 180 degrees when going in reverse. The prop has an overdrive position for increased thrust by maintaining the blades in this reverse position while in foward gear. This also results in reduced fuel consumption.

Blitz

Jul 10, 2007
Seidelmann 34 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
I didn't really see much in here about performance in reverse. I think you are at a mooring but how about near the docks. Is the prop walk/wash less? I have the trouble due to having to back into my slip (yes - most boats are that way in NJ) but due to some constraints I have to back to my port side. Prop walk/wash always is against me here but I manage with certain spring lines and just kicking the engine slowly - so your thoughts on prop wash?

Feb 6, 1998
I didn't really see much in here about performance in reverse. I think you are at a mooring but how about near the docks. Is the prop walk/wash less? I have the trouble due to having to back into my slip (yes - most boats are that way in NJ) but due to some constraints I have to back to my port side. Prop walk/wash always is against me here but I manage with certain spring lines and just kicking the engine slowly - so your thoughts on prop wash?
The prop walk is definitely less but is not non-existent. A trick I often use is short hard blasts then resting in between. This seems to minimize the prop walk to some extent.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
A short full throttle forward run with the rudder hard over will kick the stern sideways quite nicely. Check your forward motion with an astern shift.

Oct 22, 2008
- Telstar 28 Buzzards Bay
One minor point Maine Sail...going from 13 lbs. of drag to 39 lbs. of drag is a 200% increase, not 300% increase... if the CS prop was causing 9-10 lbs. of drag and the MW 39 lbs. it would be a 300% increase...

Feb 6, 1998
One minor point Maine Sail...going from 13 lbs. of drag to 39 lbs. of drag is a 200% increase, not 300% increase... if the CS prop was causing 9-10 lbs. of drag and the MW 39 lbs. it would be a 300% increase...
Yup!! :doh: Fixed it.. Still 200% more drag is a lot and you still get all the benefits and reliability of a simple fixed three bladed prop..