Prop choice

Jan 5, 2021
Hunter 41 DS Saint Petersburg
I am trying to decide between a MaxProp or an AutoStream prop for my 41 Hunter DS with a 54hp Yanmar. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Welcome to the forum!!

You came to the right place as you will get plenty of recommendations here.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I am trying to decide between a MaxProp or an AutoStream prop for my 41 Hunter DS with a 54hp Yanmar. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
There have been a few threads about various feathering and folding props lately... Maybe the “best anchor” debates are settled and this is taking their place :stir:.

Here are a few other threads to check out in the meantime -

I don’t have any experience with either of the ones you mentioned but my vote is for Flex-o-fold.

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
Welcome to the forum!!

You came to the right place as you will get plenty of recommendations here.
In fact you will find there are a many opinions as there are forum members. Most of the time the favorite is the one the poster already owns.
Do a search in the archives and you will find dozens of not hundreds of posts on this topic.

Jan 5, 2021
I have looked at some previous posts and reviews. I am interested in the mechanical differences and opinion on the different metals.
We are in West Central Florida. Our 41 Hunter 2005 is new to us. Barnacle growth, and lack there of is important to me. Also smooth and consistent operation. The Admiral is all about boat speed and is voting for the MaxProp. The AutoStream is about half price of the MaxProp. AutoStream is made in Australia out of Stainless steel. MaxProp is made in USA out of brass.
For that kind of price difference, there has to be a huge difference in mechanical design. Money aside, I just want the best prop for our boat.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
RJM, I can’t give an opinion on either prop. I think you will find that the MaxProp is bronze, not brass. There is a significant difference. Brass and salt water don‘t play well together. In my opinion neither bronze nor stainless will do anything to prevent barnacles from attaching. Fortunately for me, I sail in fresh water and don’t have to deal with barnacles, just zebra mussels.

Jan 5, 2021
Thank you Doug, my fingers were moving faster than my brain, I meant bronze. I did read each companies propaganda. I did notice that the AutoStream has rubber stoppers inside to cushion the blade rotation. I am not so sure that will be good for the long term in our tropical and salty environment.
I plan on doing some cruising and want it to work flawlessly and remain balanced with all 3 blades working in unison.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
The Admiral is all about boat speed and is voting for the MaxProp.
With all due respect, voting against the Admiral has other risks I don't think I'd be interested in running... But that's just me...

The AutoStream appears to have a good reputation but I have no direct experience with it.

MaxProp has a long and proven track record. The few boats I've run that had one impressed me.

I wouldn't use the material differences as a selection criteria. There are advantages and disadvantages to both stainless and bronze in an application such as this. Stainless does not win hands down. Just a FYI.

dj

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Flex-o-fold also uses rubber stoppers. I don’t know how they compare with AutoStream’s design, but in FoF’s case the rubber isn’t considered a scheduled maintenance item, so I wouldn’t assume that the existence of rubber is an automatic reduction in durability.

Jan 5, 2021
Thanks Doug,
I totally respect my Admiral's choices. Since neither of us has first hand experience with either prop I don't plan to override her without a solid reason. Boat bucks are in a limited supply as this is new to us, they could be utilized elsewhere.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
We love our MaxProp. I would recommend you get the 4 blade over the three. I know, it's more money, but it is a much better configuration. Things have changed in prop design since most of us have been sailing, but few have noticed it because we are 'sailors'. Well, until we're under power, that is.

Jan 5, 2021
MaxProp has a great customer loyalty, that says a lot. The owners who have AutoStream are equally as loyal. With over a boat buck difference in price, I am trying to find out the mechanical differences.

May 1, 2019
oday 39 39 Jacksonville fl
I'm still trying to decide myself, right now I'm stuck on the featherstream(maybe FoF). Im wondering if you looked at the featherstream prop and what advantage you may see the max prop or Autostream has to it. Besides the easier adjustment which may likely do once if at all( unless you repower) I am having a hard time justifying the extra cost. For the same price as maxprop, I would really be more interested in gori.

Jan 5, 2021
I have read that in reverse the feathering props are better. Since they rotate the leading edge in forward is the same leading edge in reverse. The folding props are more streamlined than a feathering prop. I am hesitant on them due to the added amount of moving parts. I thought the feathering would be the compromise between folding and fixed blades. The only one I totally ruled out is Kiwi due to the composite blades.

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
Maybe its telling that there is nobody saying "don't buy a XYZ". I can report that after 1500 engine hours and 17 years my Flex-O_fold has never given any problems. One thing I was worried about is it seems very heavy, but I have not had any cutless bearing or transmission issues.

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
I have read that in reverse the feathering props are better. Since they rotate the leading edge in forward is the same leading edge in reverse. The folding props are more streamlined than a feathering prop. I am hesitant on them due to the added amount of moving parts. I thought the feathering would be the compromise between folding and fixed blades. The only one I totally ruled out is Kiwi due to the composite blades.
For sure I’d not choose a folding Prop. Have heard too many stories about how they failed to open when reverse was urgently needed. I have no first hand experience but do have a friend who’s story of nearly demolishing a classic yacht that he was trying to dock behind when the prop failed to open.
I called the dealer I purchased the boat from and asked his service manager what his recommendation would be and he told me they always used MaxProp. So that’s what I ordered and I’ve never been sorry. Significant stopping and backing gain.

when sailing the blades line up parallel to the direction of travel. No whirling of the transmission

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
We used a Martec (US distributor) AutoStream for a decade. Two blade bronze feathering. Very good quality. As with any feathering prop we did find that there is less efficiency motoring due to no 'cupping' designed into the blades. The newest PYI MaxProp seems to be a good redesign and I would like to try it, budget permitting...
Get a three blade if you can. More blade area under power is a good thing.

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
I have a 2006 Hunter 41AC with a Brunton's Autoprop. It cost a bundle but it works spectacularly, especially for motor sailing, I have never looked back. Except of course for the boats I leave behind because it feathers so well. :biggrin: