Pressurized Alcohol Stove ?'s

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
I had a pressurized alcohol stove on our both my 1973 Clipper 26 and 1980 Catalina 25 and in ten years of use, I never had a problem. The key is to let a little bit of alcohol into the bowl under the burner, (less than 1/2 full) then turn the value completely off. Light the fuel in the bowl and let it burn down completely. Just as the flame starts to die, crack the value and the now vaporized alcohol will come out the burner as a gas and light. If you are a bit too late and the flame has died, quickly light the burner before it cools back down and lets out liquid.
My wife to be did almost burn the boat down when she tried to light it like it was a Colman stove. She lit the stove with the value open and had fire everywhere. When I heard her start yelling "FIRE!" I turned around an poured the glass of water I was drinking on the stove and the fire went out. just a little bit of dilution and it is no longer combustible.

May 29, 2018
Canel 25 foot Shiogama, japan
Hi on the rock.
Is it an alcohol stove or an alcohol primed stove which burns kerosene?
Big difference.

Some here are suggesting dump your present stove and going for a non pressurized Origo
Here is a review of that stove. Check the price!

So as dLj has recommended
Heck, spend nothing, take the stove out of the boat, try it out in a nice open space and decide for yourself how best to proceed. It's only four screws holding the stove in.

gary

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
I have recently witnessed people cooking on open hearth fires in the Jamestown/Williamsburg part of Virginia so if you’re asking “Can it be done?” the answer is yes. But if you’re asking can a generation that has been raised on prepared meals and take out, I’d say no. Cooking like sailing takes a bit of practice and good tools. I applaud those who do it well.

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
My last boat, a 1975 Catalina 27, had the original pressurized alcohol stove on it when we bought it in 2004. It was a little cranky, so eventually we bought a drop in 2-burner replacement Origo 3000 non-pressurized alcohol stove. MUCH safer - never had another flare up again. There's so few moving parts I can't imagine the guy who bought the boat from me this past summer will ever need to do any maintenance on it as long as he lives. You'll have to find it used, however, as Dometic discontinued the stove due to low demand. They also made a one burner version, which which you may still be able to find.

ToddS

Sep 11, 2017
Beneteau 373 Cape Cod
Within the past decade-or-so, I've used all three... pressurized alcohol, origo non-pressurized alcohol, and propane. Pressurized alcohol was before I knew (or had experienced) better... and I can't imagine ever going back. It is kind of fun... in a terrifying way... but way too much hassle and danger to be smart on a boat. The Origo, however was perfectly fine (IMHO) and while not quite as powerful as propane, I found it was easy, safe, and got the job done well... only got rid of it because we have a new (to us) boat that came with propane installed and sold the old boat with the Origo. We didn't have an oven though, just the two burner stove. Very happy with it though. Propane of course, is great as well, though requires its own kind of caution too. My two cents, if you're looking for easy, and not terribly pricey... is Origo. But ditch the pressurized alcohol... you'll never wish you had it back again.

Apr 5, 2009
Dave nailed it. If you do have a problem and some agent is used to extinguish (water?), it can splash and cause spot fires in areas...
Sorry Mark but this statement is not true. Add any water to alcohol fuel and it can not burn.

This is very true of oil and gasoline fires because they are petroleum based and not water soluble. When you throw water on them they ride the wave. You can pour gasoline into a pool of water and it float on top and will still burn.
Alcohol is water soluble so it is diluted when water is added. If you add less than a cup of water to alcohol fuel it will not burn at all. When I first met my wife, I took her sailing and her being an avid camper with much experience with Coleman stoves, she tried to light the Princess. She turned on the burner and heard a slight hiss and struck a match to the burner not realizing that liquid fuel was flowing out the bottom of the stove and onto the counter and floor which all caught on fire. I was in the cockpit drinking a glass of water when she started yelling and dumped the remains of my drink on the stove. that one partial glass of water put out the fine on the stove, counter and floor by diluting the fuel. That is what makes alcohol safe.

Apr 5, 2009
Most of the problems with flare-up of an alcohol stove is from using way too much fuel to light them. It takes very little. I would open the value until the ring around the burner filled than shut it off. that fuel will drain down into the preheat cup under the burner and fill it less than 1/2 full. Light the preheat cup under the burner and let it burn all the way down until the flame is just about out and then crack the burner value open and usually the flame will jump up form the preheat cut to the burner. Have a striker ready to light the burner if you were a bit too late.
When I got my first pressure alcohol stove, I experimented with how little preheat fuel I needed and it greatly reduced the height of the flame during startup.

Jul 18, 2015
South P10 Pugetopolis
Just replaced our original primus alcohol stove, because I couldn't source new valves, although new burners can still be found. Yes alcohol is expensive, but it is hotter than propane and you dont have as much water or CO danger.
I replaced with a Wallas DT, so we also have diesel heating, no gas explosion danger and a hotter flame. The heater mode keeps us warm with no condensation.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
“Sorry Mark but this statement is not true. Add any water to alcohol fuel and it can not burn.”
Hmmm..my statement was from a first hand source namely my grandfather some 50 yrs ago with an incident on his K-38. Could it be that the force of an agent hitting alcohol can displace some alcohol before the solubility process? Grasping...

Apr 5, 2009
“Sorry Mark but this statement is not true. Add any water to alcohol fuel and it can not burn.”
Hmmm..my statement was from a first hand source namely my grandfather some 50 yrs ago with an incident on his K-38. Could it be that the force of an agent hitting alcohol can displace some alcohol before the solubility process? Grasping...
Could it be that the surface combustibles were what spread the flame. You will not dilute wood or paper.;) Everyone knows that you never use water on an oil fire and I have repeatedly heard that same trueism used for alcohol but in this case, the solution to the problem is dilution.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Water extinguishes fire primarily because it displaces the oxygen as it turns to vapor depriving one of the essential ingredients for fire, Oxygen. The other 2 ingredients are heat and fuel.

See the video below. Misting water over a small alcohol fire displaces the oxygen and extinguishes the fire, the other methods demonstrated simply spread it around and the alcohol continues to burn as it floats to the surface.

When water is mixed with alcohol, such as rubbing alcohol or liquor, the water absorbs a lot of the heat slowing the evaporation of the alcohol and thus the alcohol will not ignite. However, if there is sufficient heat, such a flambeing a dish on the stove (fun to do!) enough alcohol vaporizes and can then burn.

Mr Fox

Aug 31, 2017
Marshall 22 Portland, ME
Ditch that pressurized hazard and get an origo- for a simple no nonsense range it’s amazing. You can find a used 3000 or 4000 model, call Mikes or Minnie’s chandlery in CA (I bought one last month for 225 that looks brand new as a gift for a friend). Here’s why I recommend you get one-

Pros- If you fill the canisters on deck you’ll never have alcohol on fire anywhere except where intended. The flame in the burner is visible, they are easy and safe to light even in rolly conditions. They are indestructible and simple. You can still buy parts for them (not that you’ll ever need to). They cook things quickly enough for a reasonable person. The cutting board top extends your counter space (when not cooking) and is also (surprise!) a cutting board. They have detachable pot holders. The smell is not noticeable after it heats up and you can get fuel for it anywhere (camping store, hardware store, grocery store). Oh also the fuel won’t kill you if it leaks.

Cons- not nearly as exciting to light as a pressurized alcohol range.

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
I have three pressure alcohol 2 burner stoves that I have taken out of boats. I also have a kerosene one burner I've used aboard for years. On my 35 foot tri i had a three burner with oven kerro stove, that I used in our cabin while I built the tri.

Wouldn't consider anything else. oh and nowadays I burn 100% mineral spirits- less odor, less smoking on pot bottoms, and available anywhere - every one paints, even in the Bahama out islands

My gimbaled Seacook, with my kero burner in it. It was originally propane, which I discarded
stove1.jpg

And in use under way

tilted-stove-2.jpg

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
I have been using our pressure alcohol stove onboard for 17 years without any drama. Works great and requires little maintenance. I use about a gallon of alcohol a year. My stove has two burners and an oven. The oven does not get very hot and we seldom use that, but the two stove top burners work fine. The horror stories all have a common denominator; the operators did not know or did not follow the burner lighting instructions. Reading some of the stories above I find; "overfilled cups", "adding fuel to cups while heating burners" " pumping stove up after (not before) lighting" "lighting burner before heating flame is extinguished" "overfilled tank" and the like. If you cannot light a pressurized alcohol stove you probably cannot drive a standard shift auto either. To the original poster, IMHO, yes it is safe. Read the instructions before attempting use. Use your limited funds on other more important things while using your pressure alcohol stove. When at last you are down to buying only luxury items, buy the gas stove.

Oct 11, 2019
Catalina 30TRBS New Bern
if you're scared of it, get another means to cook with. My dad has used a 2 burner butane stove for 10 years now. cheap to buy and operate. I see them at the Oriental grocery stores alot. butane cans too. we keep it in the oven when not in use and put it on top of the alcohol stove when in use.

With that said, I like the alcohol system. grew up backpacking and understand the priming process...why it works and how to do it. Used to camp a stove like that using white gas (you don't put that fire out with water!). I find the pressure alcohol stove easy to use and cheap to operate. Much safer to have alcohol on board than propane IMHO.

you can always use the priming paste (comes in a tube) instead of priming with liquid alcohol.

Jun 7, 2016
Catalina C30 Warwick, RI
Thanks everyone for the replies. I think for now I am going to test use it over the winter and see what I think. I also am very familiar and comfortable with this process using white gas stoves when in a tent so I'm hoping this would be similar. I'll probably stick it out with this stove for a year or 2 and then upgrade. ( unless i scare myself or my wife too much then could be much sooner :biggrin:

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
if you're scared of it, get another means to cook with. My dad has used a 2 burner butane stove for 10 years now. cheap to buy and operate. I see them at the Oriental grocery stores alot. butane cans too. we keep it in the oven when not in use and put it on top of the alcohol stove when in use.
Those stoves are also sold at our ACE Hdw store and in Walmart. Along with the cans of fuel. I use one on my smaller boat

Apr 5, 2009
... I also am very familiar and comfortable with this process using white gas stoves when in a tent so I'm hoping this would be similar.
:yikes: It is NOT like lighting a white gas stove and that assumption is what caused my wife to have problems.:yikes:

With white gas, the gas valve is open when you are preheating but it must be closed for alcohol. You must put a small amount of liquid alcohol in the preheat bowl which is under the burner and then SHUT OFF ALL VALUES. With everything shut off, you light the preheat alcohol and let it burn out completely. When the flame goes out, crack the valve and light the alcohol comes out of the burner. If you get liquid at this time, you did not have enough preheat so you will need to start over. I found that between 1/4 and 1/2 of the bowl depth was about right for preheating.