Pressurized Alcohol Stove ?'s

Jun 7, 2016
Catalina C30 Warwick, RI
So this question is multi-faceted. My new to me 1984 C30 has the original pressurized alcohol stove. Initially I was going to replace it with a fridge but my wife and I love cooking and are contemplating keeping it and figuring out our fridge needs later (i.e. a portable 12/120 fridge/freezer cooler shaped thingy. and yes that's the technical term :) ). So for the questions…..

1) Are pressurized alcohol stoves that are inspected and in good condition safe/advisable to use and/or is there anybody out there still using them? (This would be the cheapest easiest solution of just keep using it as is)

2) Can you convert an alcohol stove to LP and if so does anyone know of where to obtain such a conversion kit?

3) If alcohol stoves are not advisable and LP kits not available where is the best source to obtain a new LP stove and is it possible to do so for under a grand?

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I've experienced pressurized alcohol stoves since I was in 3rd grade. It was always a drama between would I get something warm to eat or would the boat burn to the waterline. I admit I have a kind of nostalgic affection for those stoves, like I have for the aroma of diesel exhaust and marsh aroma. They remind me of my childhood. But no, pressurized alcohol stoves are not safe in my opinion.

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
Pressurized would be a no-go for me. An un-pressurized Origo would be fine. (As a matter of fact, I have one on my C-30 and it works well)

Going to LP you'd need:
A stove
The plumbing out of the boat
gas tank and regulator stored OUTSIDE of where lp could enter the boat (you can't store it in the laz)

LP would be expensive.

Jun 7, 2016
Catalina C30 Warwick, RI
Prolly hard to do for under a boat buck.
I figured as much, I have so many other fires to tend to over this winter that I was hoping to get a pass on the stove. I guess I have to decide if I want to drop the loot on an LP range or go reefer with a stove top. I know oven's aren't used a ton in coastal weekend cruising, but the times you can bake a honey glazed pork loin and some homemade drop biscuits make it desirable in my opinion. So in that case......

does anyone know of a LP conversion kit and if not......

for those that keep the Range, do you have any recommendations for how you set up a reefer? My boat does not have the reefer in the ice chest option so I would be adding this in somewhere else. Like I said in the 1st post, thinking portable 12/120 cooler style. Possible locations are under the dinette or maybe in the v-berth on top of the water tank. Not easily accessible but there is lots of room to stash it.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Had a pressurized alcohol stove on our O’day 28. Watching my dad try to start it when I was a kid was always exciting. Exciting, however, is probably not an attribute you want in a cooking appliance. Neither is eyebrow scorching. I’ve never had one of the non-pressurized alcohol ones but have read good things.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Oh heavens, I still use the original pressurized alcohol stove in my 1977 boat... Let the flames begin (pun very much intended).

I sent it back to the original manufacturer and they completely rebuilt it. I don't recall how much it cost, something around $250

I was thinking I should just deep six it when I got the boat, but looking at everything I would have to do to upgrade to another fuel, coupled with the costs and the $250 looked very attractive. I did spend a bit of time with the stove in my backyard to figure out how to use it well before reinstalling it in my boat. I'm very glad I did that as the first couple times were definitely not what I would define as "controlled" starts...

Now that I have starting the stove down, I am actually pretty happy with it's performance. I've been using it for about two years at this point. It does not consume a lot of alcohol, heats water to boiling quite rapidly (e.g. cooks fast) if needed.

I've heard all kinds of horror stories of these stoves, but I have not had anything I'd consider difficult or dangerous happen with mine. You do need to keep them pumped up while cooking. I would recommend you take the stove out of the boat and practice lighting it in an open area. That step is not as simple as one may think until it's been practiced a few times.

FWIW...

dj

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
I tried to cook a pair of game hens in my brand new Kenyon pressurized alcohol oven when my boat was new. We tried for four hours... Never did cook them all the way through.
A Origo, non-pressurized cook top with a Dutch oven might work better.

Dec 27, 2012
Precision Precision 28 St Augustine
My Precision 28 has a Kenyon pressurized/ electric combo stove. I’ve used it as a alcohol stove a few times. I must admit it scares me. I ordered replacement parts directly through Kenyon. I’m going to rebuild her over the winter. Hopefully that will allow me to gain confidence. I’ve considered trashing it and replacing it with a propane stove. I just can’t seem to find a good spot to mount the tank.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I'll be specific. Once you've filled the alcohol tank (You'd better have that little funnel), waited for the spillover to evaporate, and re-pressurized it you can begin the lighting process. You open the valve that lets alcohol into the burner and hence into the surrounding cup. OK, fine. If you open the valve too much the alcohol fills the cup and runs over onto the stove surface. DO NOT LIGHT THE STOVE! After the alcohol evaporates from the stove, which takes a while because it runs all over, you can try again. Carefully open the valve and let a small amount of alcohol into the cup and close it. There needs to be enough to surround the burner but not nearly enough to overflow or you will go back to the wait loop - people are getting hungery. This is assuming that you are working on a level still surface. Not so much an anchorage. So you light the alcohol in the cup and it will flame up in a big orange flame which while not that hot can still set curtains on fire. This is when my father would stand behind my mother with a fire extinguisher. As the orange flame dies down you open the valve and let a little more alcohol into the cup. The difference between enough to continue the flame at a reasonable height and having a flame up, even more hot at this point, is like a hair trigger. And repeat. By the third or so addition of alcohol the burner may be hot enough that the alcohol will ignite in it and the flame turns blue and is confined to the burner. OAt that point you can adjust the flame intensity by adding more alcohol -turning it up. The flame is not that hot so be prepared to add cooking times. Memories.

Jun 7, 2016
Catalina C30 Warwick, RI
I'll be specific. Once you've filled the alcohol tank (You'd better have that little funnel), waited for the spillover to evaporate, and re-pressurized it you can begin the lighting process. You open the valve that lets alcohol into the burner and hence into the surrounding cup. OK, fine. If you open the valve too much the alcohol fills the cup and runs over onto the stove surface. DO NOT LIGHT THE STOVE! After the alcohol evaporates from the stove, which takes a while because it runs all over, you can try again. Carefully open the valve and let a small amount of alcohol into the cup and close it. There needs to be enough to surround the burner but not nearly enough to overflow or you will go back to the wait loop - people are getting hungery. This is assuming that you are working on a level still surface. Not so much an anchorage. So you light the alcohol in the cup and it will flame up in a big orange flame which while not that hot can still set curtains on fire. This is when my father would stand behind my mother with a fire extinguisher. As the orange flame dies down you open the valve and let a little more alcohol into the cup. The difference between enough to continue the flame at a reasonable height and having a flame up, even more hot at this point, is like a hair trigger. And repeat. By the third or so addition of alcohol the burner may be hot enough that the alcohol will ignite in it and the flame turns blue and is confined to the burner. OAt that point you can adjust the flame intensity by adding more alcohol -turning it up. The flame is not that hot so be prepared to add cooking times. Memories.
This sounds absolutely identical to lighting a dragonfly white gas backpacking stove. Typically something I relegate to an out door activity but, completely understand the concept you are talking about. Thank you!

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I admit I have years of experience lighting all kinds of backpacking stoves as you mention. And the explanation by shemandr is quite clearly within the realm of where I felt I needed to NOT be when working with the stove on the boat. Hence the suggestion to getting the starting down outside of the boat. So I now no longer have such dramatic starts. I find it, perhaps not simple, but certainly controllable to start without drama. Repeatedly.

But, totally up to you how you feel best proceeding. Heck, spend nothing, take the stove out of the boat, try it out in a nice open space and decide for yourself how best to proceed. It's only four screws holding the stove in.

dj

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
When I was a kid our Viking 33 had an alcohol stove so I had a good introduction. I had my C&C 27 for 20 years, used the alcohol stove quite a bit with no drama at all. It is slightly more effort than a propane stove since you have to let a little alcohol into the burner cup, light it then wait for it to heat up before opening the valve again. It didn't take long for me to figure out the right amount for pre-heating and then be able to open the valve at just the right time to fire it up before the pre-heat flame died away. Just like an alcohol camp stove.
Alcohol is not as fast as propane but it is quite safe with just a bit of knowledge and practice.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
does anyone know of a LP conversion kit and if not......
They don't exist. Gas stoves and alcohol stoves work on different principles. Gas stoves receive a controlled amount of gas to burn in the burner head, the fuel arrives as gas. Presurized alcohol stoves rely on heating the burning head to vaporize the liquid alcohol so that it burns hotter.

A low end LP stove costs about $1000. Plus the tank, plus the hoses, solenoid, and gas sensors. Figure $1500 or more. I just replaced a LP stove and upgraded the hoses and solenoid. Simple if the boat is designed for it. Not so simple if not.

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
Over 20 years, we have cooked over 800 meals on the original alcohol, two burner stove on our ‘77 h27. We pull the curtains over the stove to the side when we light it. I only need to open the valve very briefly to get enough alcohol beneath the burner to heat the vaporizer. Most of our meals are at anchor - never a problem.we have also used it a few time under way.

Once we learned how to use it, I believe it is highly functional and safe. The only knock on alcohol is that its heat content is lower than propane, so cooking takes a little longer.

The non-pressurized alcohol is a great solution.

I don’t think there are upgrade kits. You just replace the stove top. Then you are done if it’s a new non-pressurized alcohol. If it’s propane, you have to run a gas line to your propane storage locker - sealed from the rest of the hull with its own overboard drain. Then there are multiple safety systems, because propane is heavier than air, and can suffocate you in your sleep.

Due to its low energy content, I have not seen an alcohol oven.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Due to its low energy content, I have not seen an alcohol oven.
At one time Origo made a non-pressurized alcohol stove, however, these are no longer in production.:( ORIGO Origo 6000 Oven With Stove | West Marine

Perhaps the biggest danger with alcohol stoves is the colorless flame. If alcohol spills and ignites the flame is not readily apparent until it catches something else on fire.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
They are not worth the trouble, ditch it and get yourself a 2 burner non-pressurized Origo. Go to your hardware store and get a gallon of Denatured Alcohol and you will be in business right away. The downside of cooking with alcohol is that the flame can be invisible and the odor can make some people queasy.

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
and you don't need an oven to bake in - I use a pressure cooker with the rubber gasket removed to bake biscuits, potatoes, bread loaves (of course they come out round) and with the gasket replaced, as a pressure canner

Although my stove is a one burner kerosene one.

Here's an example of meats canned at anchor while in Boot Key harbor prior to heading to the Bahamas.

Attachments

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
“Perhaps the biggest danger with alcohol stoves is the colorless flame. If alcohol spills and ignites the flame is not readily apparent until it catches something else on fire”
Dave nailed it. If you do have a problem and some agent is used to extinguish (water?), it can splash and cause spot fires in areas...

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
one other point. Alcohol is probably the MOST expensive fuel you can find. Last i was in the Bahamas, it was $30 US per gallon