Portable Generator

Jul 7, 2010
Hunter 30T Grand Lake, OK
I have a 92 30T Hunter and was planning to get away for a week or so sailing in Oklahoma. I want to tie up or anchor in some off beat areas. We currently have heat advisories in the forecast, the boat has an onboard cooling system (water cycle type) that came as an option on the boat along with the refrigerator. I use these items at dockside but not out at anchor. My questions is can I purchase a nice quiet portable generator like a Honda 2000 and plug in my shoe power cord to it an safely power the boat? I'm not very familiar with the voltage /amps needed to do this and the output of such a device. Thinking it couple be a nice source of power to enjoy more days away from the dock in high 90 and 100 degree weather. Thoughts and ideas and experience appreciated.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I have the Honda 2000 and use it on anchor, but not for heat/AC.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Yes you can, you can purchase an adapter commonly known as a pigtail to connect your shore power inlet port to one of the 15/20A output receptacles of a Honda 2000. There is Honda model that comes with a 30A receptacle and can accept you shorepower cable. By the way Honda 2000 is the standard as far as portable generators go, it is quiet and very reliable. The thing you need to know is that the output of the Honda 2000 is limited to 16A which is about 1/2 of what your 30A shorepower connection is . Most electrical appliances will have a tab indicating their load rating. So by simple sum you do not want to run simultaneously appliances and fixtures that will draw more power than 16A. There is one caveat and that is that appliances which have electric motors like compressors and fans will require up to 3 times their load rating at start up time. An appliance that cycles on and off like an A/C or a refrigerator will require that surge of power every time it cycles on. Honda's have a safety switch to protect the generator in case of an overload; it will just shut off power. The generator can basically run an A/C unit of 8,000 BTU or it can run simultaneously a refrigerator, an inboard battery charger and cabin lights. Some have added a Soft Start capacitor to their larger A/C units with different degrees of success. The fuel tank is close to 1 gallon and in the economy mode it can run some 6 hours. If the load requirements are large the ECO mode must be turned off and expect a noise increase as well as shorter run time of around 3 hours. Not familiar with your water cooling system, is that like a swamp cooler? They do not work very well in high ambient humidity.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
That one has the normal 30 amp plug like your shorepower cord.. AS Benny says, A softstart kit on the air conditioner may be necessary.. usually, the little Honda has to be run in constant speed mode in order to be able to start the AC..

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Then there is the need to deal with the exhaust.

We were using a Honda generator out in the cockpit directing the exhaust off the boat. It was icy cold. The generator was providing support to the heater keeping the cabin above freezing. About 02:00am the wind changed started blowing the exhaust onto the boat. About 02:10AM one of the carbon monoxide alarms goes off waking the boat up. Then a second chirps in. We bail out of bunks turn off the generator. Open the windows. Air out and cool down the boat while bundled in blankets. The CO alarms eventually stop. The former fireman in our group stays bundled in his sleeping bag snoring. The boat owner and I agree to wake each other in an hour to see if we are alive. Not much sleep the rest of the night.

Be sure you have good working CO alarms on board if you plan to operate a generator.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
JSSailem is correct about being extra careful with the exhaust. I use mine on deck tied to the hand rail and a stanchion base and as the boat swings and points to the wind the exhaust usually exhaust to stern. Even in the case of currents turning the boat away from the wind the exhaust seems to flow over the cabin. Have had a couple of CO alarm scares but I largely supect they were false alarms. Jump up, better safe than sorry.

Jun 15, 2012
BAVARIA C57 Greenport, NY
Why not contact Honda directly and see what they have to say about using a gasoline powered portable generator on a boat?

Jul 7, 2010
Hunter 30T Grand Lake, OK
Yes you can, you can purchase an adapter commonly known as a pigtail to connect your shore power inlet port to one of the 15/20A output receptacles of a Honda 2000. There is Honda model that comes with a 30A receptacle and can accept you shorepower cable. By the way Honda 2000 is the standard as far as portable generators go, it is quiet and very reliable. The thing you need to know is that the output of the Honda 2000 is limited to 16A which is about 1/2 of what your 30A shorepower connection is . Most electrical appliances will have a tab indicating their load rating. So by simple sum you do not want to run simultaneously appliances and fixtures that will draw more power than 16A. There is one caveat and that is that appliances which have electric motors like compressors and fans will require up to 3 times their load rating at start up time. An appliance that cycles on and off like an A/C or a refrigerator will require that surge of power every time it cycles on. Honda's have a safety switch to protect the generator in case of an overload; it will just shut off power. The generator can basically run an A/C unit of 8,000 BTU or it can run simultaneously a refrigerator, an inboard battery charger and cabin lights. Some have added a Soft Start capacitor to their larger A/C units with different degrees of success. The fuel tank is close to 1 gallon and in the economy mode it can run some 6 hours. If the load requirements are large the ECO mode must be turned off and expect a noise increase as well as shorter run time of around 3 hours. Not familiar with your water cooling system, is that like a swamp cooler? They do not work very well in high ambient humidity.
Excellent Info, I was planning to mount it on the back of the Hunter 30T that has the walk out transom and place it on one of the back platforms. Typically with the bow always into the wind the fumes would vent away from the boat. I'm checking on the Amps needed when the AC starts up. The unit is a King Aire Marine of FL. It cycles in water from the outside and kind of works like a heat pump .

Jan 7, 2014
Beneteau 45F5 51551 Port Jefferson
I have a honda 2000EU with the twist lock comnector. It runs my 16K BTU dometic turbo without a problem. If I also try to hook up my charger/invertor I run into problems unless I lower the charger output. I use it off the back of the transom and I use CO detectors too but I have never run it overnight. It's "probably" safe, but I sleep better knowing I will wake up.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Then there's the noise. In a crowded anchorage it can be a bit obnoxious to run one on your deck or at your stern for extended periods, let alone all night for A/C.

I would be really hesitant to run a gas generator on a boat. Gase engines generate much more CO than diesel. And, a properly installed, albeit much more expensive, marine diesel generator is much quieter and much safer than a portable gas genny.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
marine diesel generator is much quieter
It would seem that the quietness of a diesel generator is a subjective observation. Granted it can be located inside the boat but still the relative dBA claims are very close when the diesel generator is equipped with sound suppression.

Fischer Panda AC 5000 Marine Generator - 5kW, 60 Hz, 240V/120V, 40 Amps with SOUND SUPPRESSION SYSTEM
Extremely quiet (54dba@7meter)

HONDA EU2200i 2200 watt 120V inverter generator
EU2200i operates at 48 to 57 dBA

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Not sure but Jim Seamans who used to own a hunter 356 used a Honda 2000 to run his AC onboard. Name of his boat was called JAVA. SEE IF HE MENTIONED ANYTHING ON THAT IN THE ARCHIVES

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
It would seem that the quietness of a diesel generator is a subjective observation. Granted it can be located inside the boat but still the relative dBA claims are very close when the diesel generator is equipped with sound suppression.

Fischer Panda AC 5000 Marine Generator - 5kW, 60 Hz, 240V/120V, 40 Amps with SOUND SUPPRESSION SYSTEM
Extremely quiet (54dba@7meter)

HONDA EU2200i 2200 watt 120V inverter generator
EU2200i operates at 48 to 57 dBA
Two things wrong with your post, John. :)
First, you only partially quoted me; I said "a properly installed...marine diesel generator is much quieter."

Second, note that the Fischer Panda generator will be inside the boat, while the Honda will be outside. Makes a big difference.

You don't have to compare specs to know, simply from cruising around, that an internal diesel generator on a boat is virtually silent; often the only way you can detect that it's running is the water exhaust. And, you don't have to be Einstein to know that a Honda generator on one's sugar-scoop transom or side deck is noisy. I've been around, and experienced these things for myself.

Jun 15, 2012
[SIZE=4][FONT=arial]Benny17441[/FONT][/SIZE], that's really great, insightful advice about being "extra careful" about the exhaust. After alI, my advice as only a lay person would have been just to be "careful" with the exhaust, but I don't have a degree in Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering. Please let all of us lay people know where your degree in Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering is from, so we can all know how you can come up with such brilliant scientific and up to date recommendations. I also bet your on the council of ABYC as your genius should be an inspiration to us all. Please do not hesitate to continue to shower all of us with your truly inspiring knowledge.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
After alI, my advice as only a lay person would have been just to be "careful" with the exhaust, but I don't have a degree in Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering. Please let all of us lay people know where your degree in Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering is from, so we can all know how you can come up with such brilliant scientific and up to date recommendations. I also bet your on the council of ABYC as your genius should be an inspiration to us all. Please do not hesitate to continue to shower all of us with your truly inspiring knowledge.
I was wondering myself how the Honda 2000 got to be the “standard ... portable generator“ with regard to use on small yachts, by implication. I didn’t know there was such a thing:doh:. The professionals here have criticized using them for more than one reason. I dislike them; don’t wish to be near a boat using one for even an hour or two a day. Running one for several hours at a time for AC would spoil my enjoyment of the anchorage if near me. BTW, it’s not “quiet“ if you can hear it a few hundred feet distant, IMHO; it’s still noise. I suppose that's a selling point for the folks aboard the boat using it. It’s for them, so it’s “quiet” (i.e., tolerable) enough to swap the constant sound for a on-board convenience. But in places where there are no other sounds but those of nature, the hum of a portable generator, even “muffled“ and in the distance on another boat, is unwelcomed.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
Why not contact Honda directly and see what they have to say about using a gasoline powered portable generator on a boat?
Fair question, but my guess is they'd not recommend it.

When I researched using one a year ago I ran across a post on Cruisers Forum which referenced Honda marketing on their website which included "Marine" use and some sort of photo or part of a video which depicted the use of their generators in that environment. The link is now dead and I can't find any reference to "Marine" use on their website for the EU2200i (maybe someone else can).

Add to that a few excerpts from their manual for that generator, and it starts looking like Honda would advise against it:

"Using a generator or electrical appliance in wet conditions, such as rain or snow, or near a pool or sprinkler system, or when your hands are wet, could result in electrocution. Keep the generator dry." (Even under a bimini most rainstorms are going to get the generator wet)

"To prevent a possible fire, keep the generator at least 3 feet (1 meter) away from building walls and other equipment during operation." (Problematic, to say the least, on a boat)

"Operating this generator less than 3 feet (1 meter) from a building or other obstruction can cause overheating and damage the generator." (This is in the section on conditions which would void the warranty)

"Exposure of the product to soot and smoke, chemical agents, bird droppings, sea water, salt, or other corrosive environments" (Also in the section on voiding the warranty)

Regardless, I know a LOT of boaters have accepted these risks in order to get the benefit from the generator (I'm one of them).

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Fair question, but my guess is they'd not recommend it.

Regardless, I know a LOT of boaters have accepted these risks in order to get the benefit from the generator (I'm one of them).
Well bully for them! :huh: I guess that’s how it’s become “the standard.“

Jun 15, 2012
Advice freely given about portable gasoline generators on boats is going to get people killed. tfox2069, you know and accept the risk. You have done the research with the manufacturer and have received clear instructions NOT to use the generator on a boat. I take exception to self proclaimed "experts" like Benny17441 giving out advice that is totally wrong. An unknowing and foolish individual taking this "expert" advice is putting lives in jeopardy, and may not be aware of the risk.

Personally, I don't understand why Honda and other manufacturers don't put an orange warning label on their generators clearly stating, "NOT FOR USE ON BOATS". My Hunter has such a label warning of CO in the swim platform, why don't generators have the same? When a death occurs, and it surely will, the trial lawyer will have a field day as what would the defense be? Everyone knows not to use these generators on boats, but everyone knows that's exactly how their being used.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
SBO is hardly a bona fide expert-technical-advice website even though there are some experts & professionals here. Anyone can join and post, whatever. We even have one apparent non-boat owner with thousands of posts on the “Notable Members” list:doh:. I sense many opinions produced here that are largely conjectural. The truth is many boaters use the portable generators aboard. That’s a fact. Thousands of hours of use with nothing that I’ve read reporting disastrous consequences. Maybe you have some? Of course, every day is a new day, but as of now it seems it’s a matter of “recommendations” all based on conjecture.

Last edited: