porta potty question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
SeaLand 974MSD owners manual

You don't quite have the way it works yet, but you're close...you only have to "pump up" the flush water reservoir once, right after you refill it.

http://www.sealandtechnology.com/pdf/600345649 Dometic 970 series toilet manual-USA.pdf

The online store here sbo.com plumbing has it for as low a price as you'll find anywhere...and buying from them helps to support this site. And we're glad you found it!

Fwiw, it can be kinda helpful to note the date of the last post in any thread before adding a question or a comment...if the last post is more than a month old, it's prob'ly best to start a new thread instead.

Welcome aboard and Merry Christmas!

Oct 10, 2009
Catalina 27 Lake Monroe
I installed a 974MSD last year after getting advice right here (Thanks Peggie!). Only problem I have is that we cannot pump it completely out. I noticed the previous head had a tube running diagonally down to the bottom of the tank so that the pump was sucking waste from the bottom. I don't see anything like that on the 974MSD and I cannot get the tank completely empty. Wondering if there was something I missed, but there are no spare parts on my work bench :).

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Two suggestions:

1. Call SeaLand and ask 'em if there should be a pickup tube: 800-321-9886

2. If you're the least bit handy, it shouldn't be too tough to cobble one up yourself with piece of hose and a little ingenuity.

Oct 10, 2009
Catalina 27 Lake Monroe
Thanks Peggy- I'm pretty handy, but when it comes to creating something that might spray poop all over the inside of my boat if it fails, I'll admit I'm a little bit shy.
Will call Sealand about it, but I didn't see anything in their instructions to indicate a pick up tube.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Think about it for a minute...

Thanks Peggy- I'm pretty handy, but when it comes to creating something that might spray poop all over the inside of my boat if it fails, I'll admit I'm a little bit shy.
Any pickup tube you cobble up would have to be INSIDE the tank, right? So how could it spray anything all over the inside of your boat? Worst case, it falls off INSIDE THE TANK... and you're back to being unable to completely empty it.

Oct 10, 2009
Catalina 27 Lake Monroe
Any pickup tube you cobble up would have to be INSIDE the tank, right? So how could it spray anything all over the inside of your boat? Worst case, it falls off INSIDE THE TANK... and you're back to being unable to completely empty it.
And then I've got to fish it out. Thanks, no.
I'd rather call Sealand and ask them how they expect this head to work as advertised without a pickup tube.

Sep 25, 2008
Harpoon 5.2 Honolulu, HI
I'm with Peggy -- I had that five gallon MSD with deck pumpout. in my O'Day 26. It even fit right onto the original clips from the smaller one. Drilled one hole in the deck and pumped out just like everyone else. No weird smells, no bags or buckets, no problems. Okay, one problem. Don't overtighten the cap on the bottom tank part because they can crack. That experience sort of sucked.

Dec 25, 2009
American 26 & MFG Challenger 12 American 8.0, Challenger 12 Lake Pepin, Wisc.
After seeing Sumner's solution to the problem. I had to address it myself last summer. I had an original porta potty that came with the boat. I didn't want to use it, so I modified the spot where it sat to take a bucket similer to Sumner's The bucket I chose was a six gallon one with a screw top lid from these folks.

http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/gamma_seal_lids_gamma_lid_products.aspx

Since there was a platform for the porta poty to sit on, I cut a hole in it and let the bucket down into it and built a level spot for the bottom to sit on below the platform and on top of the slanted hull. I then built an Oak Bulkhead up in front of the bucket and put a hinged lid over the top with a hole cut out to let the top of the bucket just peek through. On top of the hinged lid, I installed a regular toilet seat and lid. I use the same Double Duddy bags that he recommends and to change, I just lift the top of the wood platform and pull the used bag out. When not in use, the screw on lid fits snuggly down into the top of the bucket, you don't have to screw it in. To take the lid off, just lift the toilet seat.

Now this could be a problem if you have a stranger on board and have not given him or her a head tour, and explained the excentricities of your powder room. Especially if it is night time and everyone is asleep.

It kind of looks like an up scale "One Holer" from days gone by, with a modern seat upgrade.

Any way it does the job....:D:D

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2008
Pearson-O'Day 290 Portland Maine
It seems to me that many of these threads are from the moored and slipped crowd. As trailer sailor, as Carolyn may be, thru hull fittings are out of the question. I launch, for a day or a week, from a public dock, with no pump outs that I know of. We gunk hole in remote locations with even fewer amenities. Unless the MSD toilet can be easily detached and carried into my bathroom for emptying, I would not install one on my boat. If it can be, I would consider it. As far as the mud bucket goes, it seems like an option, but I don't think its one for me. I'd probably get grossed out or something.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Weeeelll...if you have no pumpout facilities...

Then you don't need a portapotty that's fitted for pumpout ("MSD" version), you need the plain ol' portable version ("portable" means "carry it off the boat and empty it on land"). Or a Wag Bag or whatever else lights your fire.

MSD" only means that the same portapotty you carry off the boat has brackets to secure it to the sole and the tank has fittings to connect a vent line and pumpout line to it...it doesn't mean that you MUST permanently install it and set it up for pump out. However, the "MSD" versions cost a bit more, so why spend the extra money for one if you have no access to pumpout facilities.

In which case, I recommend that you go with the smaller 2-3 gallon size (you'd need two to stay out a week) instead of the larger 5-6 gallon...'cuz water and waste weigh 8.333 lbs/gal...so a 6 gallon tank would weigh more than 50 lbs--a lot to carry off the boat!

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
........... As far as the mud bucket goes, it seems like an option, but I don't think its one for me. I'd probably get grossed out or something.
I was very skeptical about these from the beginning...were they legal, the cost, would they leak, etc.. As you can tell I'm not a skeptic any longer. Are they for everyone? No, but it you want to have extended trips they sure can be the ticket.

I often see these threads mention pumping out and such and like you where we have been sailing that isn't much of an option. Also having to find someplace every 3-5 days to go ashore lugging the bottom of a porta-potty is not an option.

On our last trip, Florida, we went about 10 days before going ashore would of been an option. Sure we could of gone 5-6 miles one way out of our way once in that period. Then what happens when the weather pins you down for 2-3 days and ruins your schedule and you can't go ashore to dump?

I've got info on....

...how we use our head here.....

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/MacgregorTrips-3-Powell09/09-10-16-Powell-09.html

and how it was built here....

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor/inside-index.html

My suggestion to someone who doesn't want to give up a porta-potty, but also doesn't want to get into a situation where they dump it over the side would be to take a bucket like Tom posted and some Double Doodie or Wag Bags with you just in case you do need them.

On the smell deal I don't think you can eliminate it entirely while using it, but here is what we do. Let's say the bag has been used once. We don't get any smell in the boat while the used bag is in the head as the top is held down by the seat assembly.

Now as soon as we lift the seat assembly and take the lid off there is going to be smell if the bag has been used. We immediately spray a couple squirts of Glade Powder Fresh Spray into the head and a couple squirts into the cabin air. Then when done we sprinkle some Glade Carpet & Room Odor Eliminator into the bag over the load and put the lid back on.

Is this going to eliminate all odor? No, but it is less and we feel just a fact of life if we don't want to be tied going to marinas every 3-5 days if they are even available where we are. In Florida where we were they weren't near where we were.

We put the bags into a used soap container and that has worked very well as they seem to seal well but we are going to order a couple buckets like Tom posted.

For us 5-10 minutes of smell a day is the price we will pay for the freedom the bags give us. And the clean-up process sure beats taking a porta-potty ashore and dumping it and cleaning it. We won't go back to that. What about you? Would you be happy going back to hauling and cleaning the porta-potty. I've mentioned it before, but will again.

This whole thing came up on a Mac site the other day and I wrote a little story that I'll copy and post here for anyone who has nothing better to do...

========================================

Once Upon A Time

There was a family of four that had a nice MacGregor 26 sailboat. They started off taking 1 day or weekend trips, but wanted to stay out longer so replaced the small porta-potty that came with the boat with a 5 gallon model so they didn't have to come in as often to empty it. This worked for a couple years and they never once dumped that porta-potty in their favorite sailing waters.

The kids got older and bigger and all was fine. At the end of the sailing season one year they decided to take that dream trip the next summer and stay out for 2 weeks. They planned the trip carefully so that they would be fairly close to a marina on the 5th and 10th days of the trip to empty the porta-potty as that was about the limit before it was full.

The trip went along as planned until the 4th day. They had picked a night's anchorage about 10 miles from a marina in a sheltered cove and planned to head to the marina in the morning and empty the head.

Well that day when someone used the head late in the afternoon they pronounced it full. Seems like the children had grown some and along with that their contribution to the head. They had a problem, but everyone said that they could probably hold it to they got to the marina in the morning.

=======================================================================

Note: Now you the reader can decide which turn this story takes....

=======================================================================

First Choice: When they went to bed that night they were aware that a small storm was approaching them from listening to NOAA. About 4 am they are awaken with the boat rocking and rolling on the anchor and they were in a pretty sheltered place. When it became light they found out from NOAA that the storm had changed directions some and that there was going to be 25-35 mph winds for the next 24 hours or so.

Second Choice: The family awakes in the morning to a glorious bright sunny sky, but absolutely no wind and they had planned on sailing over to the marina. No problem we will just fire up the outboard and motor the 10 miles to the marina and be there in 2 hours. Then try as they might the outboard doesn't fire. Now they are going to have to wait until the wind appears and NOAA says that might not happen for a day or so.

========================================================================

Either story line above is not good considering the head situation and a couple members of the family said that there was going to be no way they would make it another 24-36 hours....

Now you the reader has three choices on how this might end.....

First Choice: They feel shame and regret, but they unclipped the porta-potty from the floor in the head and remove the bottom and take it above and dump it over the side.

Second Choice: Two years prior to this trip the government implemented a new law stating that all heads had to be attached to a pump-out hose and have a vent. The law was implemented not because they wanted you to necessarily pump out vs. taking the head on shore and emptying it, but to make it harder on you to remove the bottom of the head and dump it over the side. So now the family still had to deal with the situation, so dad said with great shame and regret "where is the bailing bucket" and that was used again over the side.

Third Choice: No new laws were enacted, but it was still illegal to dump and if caught you could be fined heavily and possibly loose your rights to be on the water for a year. The government did make one "recommendation" and that was that you carried on your boat a watertight/airtight container and some Double Doodie or Wag Bags as a backup. The family had done exactly this and they put a Double Doodie bag in the head and everyone who needed to used it. Then they removed it and sealed it up and placed it into the sealed container and made it to the marina 2 days later with a clear conscious.

End of Story,

Sum

Dec 25, 2009
American 26 & MFG Challenger 12 American 8.0, Challenger 12 Lake Pepin, Wisc.
About the odor in the bucket. We use Cedar wood chips, just a hand full after use. It seems to pretty much cancel the smell. Also kitty litter or peet moss would work as well.

I like it because it will let you go out for extended runs and like Sumner, you can pull the bag seal it and put it in another screw top bucket and give yourself double useability

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
About the odor in the bucket. We use Cedar wood chips, just a hand full after use. It seems to pretty much cancel the smell. Also kitty litter or peet moss would work as well.

I like it because it will let you go out for extended runs and like Sumner, you can pull the bag seal it and put it in another screw top bucket and give yourself double usability
Thanks Tom we might have to try the cedar chips.

....t. As far as the mud bucket goes, it seems like an option, but I don't think its one for me. I'd probably get grossed out or something.
One last comment on the above. The inner bag is....

...huge, so clean-up is so easy. Just take the top of the black inner bag shown above and twist it and then stuff it down into the smaller outer bag and seal it like you do a zip-lock bag. 10-20 seconds and you are done. Then put that bag...

...into another sealable container like Tom uses or above.

For me this is way less gross than taking the porta-potty ashore and dumping it in a toilet and then cleaning it out. I've done that :cry:.

With the bags there is virtually no limit on how long you stay out. Buy a box at Wally World and take a look at them. Since we get around 3 days out of a bag the per day cost is about 75 cents a day,

Sum

Our Trips to Lake Powell, UT - Kootenay Lake, Canada - Priest Lake, ID

Our Mac Pages

Mac-Venture Links

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
What about using POO POWDER?
http://www.trails.com/gear/p/phillips/120-application-pooh-powder-toilet-absorbent/

And or the WAG BAG
http://www.rei.com/product/692303

I understand the Wag Bags are expensive but the waste can be tossed into standard trash
As far as I can tell Wag Bags and Double Doodie are about the same thing, but I've never seen the Wag Bags and pricing them on the Internet they do seem more expensive.

We have been paying about $12-$13 for a box of 6 Double Doodie bags at Walmart and have used those since we can find them fairly easily at 'most' Walmarts. You could also order them on-line from them....

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-Double-Doodie-Bags/14550463

... for less. If you use them once only then yes it is more expensive, 3 days like we get out of them and you are down to 75 cents a day or less for 2 people. What else are you spending money on those 3 days if you aren't going in :).

I couldn't belive that they could go into standard waste pickup receptacles, but evidently from what I understand it is legal to disposed of them in that manner in all states. It is often stated that look where all of the disposable baby diapers go and they don't even have the powder that is suppose to make the bags harmless over time.

The Double Doodie and the Wag Bags do come with the powder in them that makes this possible. You can buy extra powder and we did but have never used it. Also you need liquid in there to make it all work and turn to gel, so don't try and keep it all out.

c ya,

Sum

Our Trips to Lake Powell, UT - Kootenay Lake, Canada - Priest Lake, ID

Our Mac Pages

Mac-Venture Links

Jan 8, 2011
Macgregor 26S San Diego
Composting Toilet an option?

I don't own a boat, someday soon I hope.:)
I'm a total newbie, so tell me if I'm off the wall with this. I saw a discussion on another forum about composting toilets, and I did not see any mention of composting toilets in this thread.
Is that not an option?
Seems like they can handle the situation and don't have to be "emptied' for several weeks. Just an idea. Let me know what you think.

May 16, 2007
Boatless ! 26 Ottawa, Ontario
I have seen composting toilets in a sailboat. It was quite large and would not fit in the average trailer sailor. It also cost about $1000. It could not accept urine so that had to collected and "delt with". In colder climates it needs a heater and small fan to keep digesting the waste, these both consume a lot of electrical power, ok if you are on a dock with shore power most of the time but otherwise a problem. Lets hope they are able to develop one in the future that will solve these problems as they would be an idea solution otherwise.

Bob

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
my ericson 35mII has a porta potty plumbed in. i was never able to get it empty.i used odorlos in it--no problem at all. any other stuff--yuk. the blue stuff only turns everything blue. yukkkk. but the odorlos product was awesome. i use that product in my holding tank inmy formosa also-- n0 stink at all.

Jan 7, 2011
Hunter 30 Solomons, MD
Composting Toilet

We installed an Envirolet composting toilet at our comp in West Virginia. It is only used about two days every six weeks. Even though it was installed and is used according to the manufacturer's instructions, the toilet does not seem to compost very well. We put enzymes and peat moss in but the crap just keeps building up. Toilet paper, especially does not break down. I am concerned about ending up with a box of un-composted stuff.
When I first got the composting toilet, I considered installing on in my boat. Not now. Plus, they are very large.
P.S. If anyone has experience with composting toilets and can tell me how to get this stuff to decompose more quickly, please reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.