porta potty question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 22, 2009
Macgregor Venture 25 Seattle
Wow, now heres a topic :redface:. I am in the midst of planning a week cruise in my Venture 25. There will be three of us. I have not had much luck locating marinas in the San Juan islands that have faciilities to empty a portapotty, but there are many pumpouts. Has anyone used a pumpout to empty a portapotty? Thanks for the help with this one.

Carolyn

May 25, 2004
Hunter 260 Pepin, WI
The pump out station at our marina has two parts, the one on the dock with the hose and the power/tank unit ashore. Next to the shore station there is a place to dump portable toilet waste. We are strongly encouraged to use that rather than pour into restroom toilets.

Jun 17, 2007
MacGregor Mac26S Victoria Tx
Google:

"pett toilet system"

Available many places...

Porta potties are gross. Our old one rests in the attic.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
The best solution IMO:

Trade in your portable portapotty for an "MSD" version that's designed to be permanently installed and fitted for pumpout...although you CAN carry it ashore in a crunch. Except for the pumpout and vent fittings "MSD" portapotties are identical to portable portapotties, so you don't have to worry about whether it'll fit. It will require some minor surgery to your boat--you'll have to install a deck pumpout fitting and a vent thru-hull...and you'll need a few feet of vent hose and pumpout hose...but that's all the plumbing needed.

The online store here has SeaLand and Thetford portapotties in both 2.6 gal and 5-6 gall sizes...portable and "MSD"...and their prices are as low as you'll find anywhere too. sbo.com plumbing You can get everything you need from 'em.

May 23, 2007
Catalina Capri 22 Albany, Oregon
We're headed up to the San Juans for a week at the end of the month and will be taking the wag bag approach.

My sister and I grew up sleeping in the v-berth of dad's boat and the smell of porta potty chemicals is something I've decided not to add to my own,, somewhat smaller, boat; nor do I want to do the mods necessary to add a msd/pumpout.

Our setup isn't quite as pretty as Sumner's though - we bought a "Luggable Loo" from Cabelas . . . .

. . . which I'll put up in the v-berth where the pristine and unused Thetford porta pottly goes - the original and unopened bottle of blue goo is even still there. P U . . .

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
It's not the portapotty that's the problem...

It's the "blue goo." I wouldn't use that stuff either, 'cuz not only does it smell nasty, it's toxic!

If you want to go to all the trouble to use wag bags etc, it's ok with me...but y'all need to know that a properly installed and maintained "MSD" portapotty should be no more offensive than your toilet at home. The trick is in investing the time and effort to learn what IS "properly installed and maintained" and then doing it. And fwiw, what works at a campsite doesn't work on a boat.

Jun 22, 2009
Thanks to all for the good ideas. I don't have time and energy for a MSD right now. I have used the portapotty withut chemicals ( I avoid them since they are so toxic) and I have emptied every two days without an odor issue ( but hey it is cooler up here in the northwest). Does anyone think using a pumpout will damage the portapotty? Thanks again

Carolyn

Sep 25, 2008
Macgregor & Island Packet VENTURE 25 & IP-38 NORTH EAST, MD
A dumb question here for those that use the "baggies". What do you do with them if you're out for afew days? I would think they might start to smell worse than a porta potty after awhile. I can remember how my kids diaper pail smelled.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
It shouldn't, but...

Does anyone think using a pumpout will damage the portapotty?
Exactly how do you plan to use a pumpout? Don't bring the hose into the boat to stick into the tank...pumpout hoses have a nasty habit of "spitting up!"

So only do this by taking the tank out and setting it on the dock. The opening in the top of the tank that waste goes into is large enough to allow enough air flow to empty the tank without damage to it. Then rinse out the tank before you put it back.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
....If you want to go to all the trouble to use wag bags etc, it's ok with me...but y'all need to know that a properly installed and maintained "MSD" portapotty should be no more offensive than your toilet at home. The trick is in investing the time and effort to learn what IS "properly installed and maintained" and then doing it.....
Peggie good info as usual. We like using the Double Doodie bags, but would really like something like the toilet at home only there are a few obstacles for us and a number of "trailer sailors". Are boats are small and trying to add proper MSD's and/or a holding tank and other require plumbing takes up space that is already in short supply for most of us.

The other big problem that Ruth and I have is the water we sail here in the mountain west lacks in marinas and if there are marinas very few have pump-outs to my knowledge. We would start having to limit where we sailed and plan our trips around being someplace to pump out every 4-5 days or so. When we go to Florida we hope to spend considerable time in the Everglades/10,000 Island area and it is a long way there to anyplace that can pump out. With the wag bag/double doodie bag approach we can stay out a month or as long as we have water for drinking, cleaning and cooking.

Now saying that I'll agree wholeheartedly with your other comment...

.............. And fwiw, what works at a campsite doesn't work on a boat.
We went to a lot of trouble to ensure that our portable toilet will stay in position and be very unlikely to leak in rough weather or even during a knock down.

It has a..........

..... tight fitting lid, which also keeps the odor in, that is held down securely by .....

... the seat platform. The bucket is located on its bottom side and top side by pieces of lumber that keep if from moving side to side or up and down.

The seat platform is.......

....is securely held down by the platform above it that the seat cushion sits on with a latch on the front side.

If someone is going to go this route on a permanent basis they need to consider the worst conditions they and the 'john' might have to endure.

We also keep the full bags in.....

...... containers that have a very secure lid on them. Since there isn't all of the water involved like a regular porta potti worst case situations are also not near as frightening.

If we ever end up with a larger boat we will be applying a lot of the suggestions that you have posted, thanks,

Sum and Ruth

Our Trips to Lake Powell, UT - Kootenay Lake, Canada - Priest Lake, ID

Our Mac Pages

Mac-Venture Links

Jun 17, 2007
MacGregor Mac26S Victoria Tx
Smell?

We have used them for a couple of years. Actually there isn't any smell. After you use them you can zip them up. The PETT bags are very strong, I have never seen the ones from Wal-Mart.

If you need to store a few you can drop them into a heavy duty plastic bag or use a bucket with a screw on lid. I have some chlorine containers that work well or cat litter buckets.

The really nice thing is you can just walk down to the marina's dumpster and toss it. No one knows whats in the bag. The chemicals in the bag will turn the waste into a safe substance that can be thrown into landfills.

A MSD is nice, IF you have the money, space and time to keep it up. The other issue is sometimes finding a pump station. True, you can pop some out and dump them but that is gross and I never want to do that again.

A dumb question here for those that use the "baggies". What do you do with them if you're out for afew days? I would think they might start to smell worse than a porta potty after awhile. I can remember how my kids diaper pail smelled.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Fwiw...

A MSD is nice, IF you have the money, space and time to keep it up.
"MSD" portapotties cost about the same as a portapotty, are the same sizes as portapotties and don't need all the space required to store the bucket and the bags...and require far LESS time to "keep up" than getting out bags, tying 'em up, storing 'em and disposing 'em. And what little maintenance is required costs less than the bags.

The other issue is sometimes finding a pump station. True, you can pop some out and dump them but that is gross and I never want to do that again.
Enjoy your baggies! :dance:

Jun 22, 2009
Thanks again for the info and I will look into the MSD in the future. If I can convince a marina to let me use the pump out I plan on taking the storage tank off the bottom of the portapotty and pumping it out outside of the boat. Thanks for the info on letting air in while the pumpout is pumping. I think I can manage that. I am thinking of the bags as an emergency measure incase I can't get the potty emptied.

Carolyn

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
"MSD" portapotties cost about the same as a portapotty, are the same sizes as portapotties and don't need all the space required to store the bucket and the bags...and require far LESS time to "keep up" than getting out bags, tying 'em up, storing 'em and disposing 'em. And what little maintenance is required costs less than the bags.

Enjoy your baggies! :dance:
Peggie I'd have to disagree with the "LESS time" statement. We get about 3 days out of a bag and it takes maybe 3-4 minutes to replace it. Far less time than finding and going to a marina for a pump-out.

Mike since we don't use a new bag with each use there is a smell when you are using the head, but I don't find it to be a lot more than when I used a porta pottie. We also sprinkle in a little carpet freshener with each use and spray a little odor neutralizer in the air.

For us the use of the 'new head' freed up all....

...of the space that the old head (above) and porta-pottie took up. We now have a lot larger and more usable V-berth and more storage under it. We couldn't of moved a porta-pottie to the cabin area very easily. So in our case space wise we are ahead with this opton.

It has been a great solution for us but I realize everyone doesn't have our needs. I'm glad that someone brought this option to our attention a year ago. I was very skeptical of it being a good option then, but we decided to try it and now feel it is one of the best mods on the boat and makes our trips a lot more enjoyable due to the freedom it gives us from not having to visit marinas.

c ya,

Sum

Our Trips to Lake Powell, UT - Kootenay Lake, Canada - Priest Lake, ID

Our Mac Pages

Mac-Venture Links

Apr 29, 2010
MacGregor m25 Erieau, Ontario, Canada
The trick is in investing the time and effort to learn what IS "properly installed and maintained" and then doing it. And fwiw, what works at a campsite doesn't work on a boat.
I'm looking at putting a MSD on my 25. Where would I find the info for "properly installed and maintained"?

The site instructions I've seen are basically "bolt it to the floor, plumb the waste to an 1 1/2" deck fitting and provide a 5/8" exterior vent." The details on the proper care and feeding of a porta-potty seem to thin out after that.

Also, a lot of the porta-potty's I see for sale show the pump out connection as an option but the option never seems to show up on the page. Am I going to spend $200 on a porta-potty and then another $50-$100 for an optional piece?

Frank

kenn

Apr 18, 2009
CL Sandpiper 565 Toronto
Trade in your portable portapotty for an "MSD" version that's designed to be permanently installed and fitted for pumpout...although you CAN carry it ashore in a crunch. Except for the pumpout and vent fittings "MSD" portapotties are identical to portable portapotties, so you don't have to worry about whether it'll fit. It will require some minor surgery to your boat--you'll have to install a deck pumpout fitting and a vent thru-hull...and you'll need a few feet of vent hose and pumpout hose...but that's all the plumbing needed.
Another vote for MSDs. Our little boat came with the porta-potti-style MSD from the factory, comeplete with vent and deck-mounted pumpout. It's hilarious to pull up behind a 40' boat at the pumpout dock, then do my 6 second pumpout. :D (actually it's 2 min cos I pump, then rinse and pump twice more)

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
I recently bought a new 5 gallon MSD toilet, and intend to install it for deck pump out, but haven't done it yet.

Last time I took my boat out I was still able to go to a pump out station, carry the toilet just outside the boat to the dock, and pumped it out with the hose. Sure beat carrying it a long way to dump in a regular toilet. If you do this don't forget to open the air vent while pumping it out.

Dec 20, 2010
Yankee Condore 21 Halifax
Hiee Frank,

The sites I have been to seem to indicate that if one gets the msd version then the pump out fitting is substituted in lieu of the pour out cap. We currently have an msd on our project boat but the pump is gone and it recycled the water rather then using a seperate water tank for flush. We are replacing it with a new Sealand MSD 974 model which is the 2.6 gallon one. 12'' high 14'' wide and 15 1/4'' deep? I think I have those measurements correct. This one btw you pump up air pressure in the water tank and push a button to flush/rinse the bowl. I may in the future add a y diverter,seacock and mersinator pump to due pump out at sea if required and allowable ie non restricted zone.

Merry Christmas and Happy Sailing

Status
Not open for further replies.