Plexiglass Window Re-seal Question on Deck Salon

Jun 29, 2009
Hunter 45 DS Barrington, RI
Need advice. The wrap-around windshield on our 09H45DS is separating from the cabin side window opening. It is secured with a few screws but relies primarily on the bedding compound to hold in place. The bedding compound is releasing form the curved plexiglass on the port side. I can almost slide a finger in between the plexiglass and the cutout in the cabin side. Any tips on how to remove, clean, and reseal?

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Poats 14 and 16 in this thread discusses repair approach and recommended bedding compound for frameless windows:

Posts 3 and 5 in this thread might also be helpful:

PJL

Apr 22, 2014
Hunter 42 Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico
I have a passage 42 and the large window that spans the front of the main cabin was pulling up at one edge. Communicated with Hunter and found they used Dow Corning 795. The window and cabin top both have screw holes, but no screws. The holes are used for holding things in place while the Dow 795 cures and then they are removed due to the window's size and the hull flexibility.

Do not use silicone!!!!!

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
I have a passage 42 and the large window that spans the front of the main cabin was pulling up at one edge. Communicated with Hunter and found they used Dow Corning 795. The window and cabin top both have screw holes, but no screws. The holes are used for holding things in place while the Dow 795 cures and then they are removed due to the window's size and the hull flexibility.

Do not use silicone!!!!!

Dow 795 actually is silicone, just a commercial grade not hardware store grade.

PJL

Apr 22, 2014
Hunter 42 Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico
Art Boas uploaded this method to remove the window

Fully agree with Scott B/Art Boas. Using a pair of vacuum pullers is the way I removed my window. One difference is that the Passage 42 has a single window that spans the full width. The suction method works very well for both. Be sure to follow his suggestion to tape some type of cover over the inside - greatly reduces the cleanup effort <G> Especially when spreading the sealer!

Also, don't worry about using a thick coat and having the sealant ooze out inside or outside: will prevent voids. Once reasonably well set, it is easy to trim excess sealant off with a thin paint scraper or frosting spreader used with cakes. Be sure not to start this phase too early or the non-cured will make a mess...

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Same here with my Ben 343, will attempt 3rd repair in a few weeks. On my prior attempts, I have cleaned the sealant groove around the lens and resealed with poor results. The entire lens needs to be re-bedded; however, I was concerned about cracking the lens during removal. Will try vacuum pullers and spin halyard method. Used PBF Mastic on first attempt and Sika flex on second; definitely going to use Dow 795uv on this attempt. Thanks for the recommendation.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
As a dealer, I use to tape the edges of both the deck and pecan. Yes took extre time to prepare but well worth it as to trying to clean up deck and window. Dow 795 was the choice of the industry As for screw holes they were larger than the screws as sun caused material of plastics to shrink or expand. Most manufacturers removed the screws once sealant had dried and holes filled up with sealant