Pick one...

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Funny, I like espresso, but I don't like black coffee.

-Will
Somewhat agree. I once thought my coffee nerd buddy was exaggerating how much the type of beans, drip vs perc vs French press, temp of water, brew time, etc. made a difference.
My wife hated coffee until she had Cuban coffee. Now she is the house barista.
I am VERY spoiled. My alarm is the bean grinder and I walk into the kitchen when my "order" is ready...

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
You and my wife. ;)

-Will
Good man !

If you haven't tried it.. Make an Americano as an alternative to drip/perc. Double espresso shot and hot water. Add the espresso to the water, and it will usually keep the crema intact. Some use a single shot but I like it stronger.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Last summer I made mine by cold brewing, tossed the coffee in a half gallon pitcher and left it overnight. Tasted the same to me.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I heard from the Columbian Consulate many years ago, "It is the freshness of the roasted bean, the grind, the way it is prepared that yields the quality cup of coffee."

In my search for coffee I can enjoy I found Sumatra Dark roast from Costco, fresh ground “ fine” each morning, with steaming fresh water poured into a cone filter containing the coffee grounds (no coffee bean grit to grind your teeth on like the French press I tried), allowed to drip into a pot or cup provides the morning elixir I desire.

Bold Rich flavor, not acidic nor bitter, a cup that inspires you to hoist your sail and adventure to new and strange lands. Or sit around and be inspired to write a novella on your computer, strike it rich in the stock market, kiss your wife good morning.:biggrin:

The tools I use on the boat:
F3D06EFE-2DC8-48E5-8E4C-12325EC9D42C_4_5005_c.jpeg 55DAC043-14D9-49D8-8D9B-9314A82F7D9A.jpeg A6D416AD-B58E-4283-9A92-2ADC1E607F9B.jpeg

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
tools I use on the boat.
A burr grinder like that makes a difference.
Consistent grind size.

I used one of those electric blade, blender-like units and you end up with everything from large bits down to powder. They really suck for taste consistency, or if you don't like chewing your coffee if you use a French press.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I heard from the Columbian Consulate many years ago, "It is the freshness of the roasted bean, ...
Yes! I've been roasting my own beans for the past 11 years. On about day 4 after a roast, it starts to taste like fresh foldgers. I order my beans from Sweet Maria's

Over the years I have burned out several expensive roasters only to learn that the fancy roaster market is a skam. Just get an old aluminum pot, put it on the side burner of your BBQ grill, put a half pound of green beans in there and stir rapidly with a metal spatchula. You will hear the beans start to "crack" and then when the cracking slows, you are at "first crack". That is typically a good place to stop. Pour the beans out on a plate to cool and wait 12 hours before using them. It takes less time to roast a batch of beans than it does to drink my beer.... If you try to use the fresh roasted beans too soon, the coffee will taste acidic. The beans need to outgas a little. They (whoever they are) say there is trapped CO2 in the bean that caused the acidic taste. That does not make sense to me since grinding the bean should release the CO2 but it is true that the coffee tastes acidic if you use the beans right away.

If you want a French roast, you need to try for the second crack. That is difficult to do without scorching a few beans but it is worth a try. If you order from Sweet Maria's I recommend getting the 10lb variety box. You will get 10 1-lb bags, each a different bean. YOu will notice the difference in tast from bean to bean and starting a new bean is something I look forward to.

My entire family is now coffee snobs and I would say that the #1 factor in how the coffee tastes is the freshness of the roast. Roast small batches.