Pick one...

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
For what?

I use old coffee mugs to dip paintbrushes. Some of them look just like the one on the left. The one on the left also seems to have a clever message or something. However, I wouldn't serve it to a guest for morning coffee.

I knew a guy who worked as a coffee barrista and argued that you should not wash your coffee pot because the "patina" made for more flavorful coffee. I said, "it's just old coffee. Does old coffee taste better than fresh coffee?"

-Will

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
My Mom used to say she learned to make Navy Coffee from her Dad. Ground the coffee and put it in a pot. A little salt and an egg shell from breakfast eggs. Boil it till the spoon stands up in the pot on it's own. Then it is just about right for a sailor.

Poured black in the cup.
IMG_2184.JPG IMG_2183.JPG

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
... A little salt and an egg shell from breakfast eggs. Boil it till the spoon stands up in the pot on it's own. Then it is just about right for a sailor.

Poured black in the cup.
View attachment 200999 View attachment 200998
The egg shell trick knocks down the acidty a little. Takes the sour out of it but also heightens the bitter tones. A pinch of baking soda does the same thing. If you want your coffee to taste more like coco then try the egg shell or baking soda trick. Acids are sour and bases are bitter. (Latin adjective for sour is Acidus). The main function of cream in your coffee is to form a colloidal suspension of fat droplets and the bitter alkaloids will then dissolve into the droplets and not interact with your tongue. I am always amused by people who put skim milk in their coffee. You need the fat in order to mask the bitter compounds.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Black and Bitter for me. I drink a full pot every day. Electric perked coffee at home and a perked pot on the stove top on the boat. I've converted several family member's to real perked coffee (not dripped) from drinking mine. I do put a drip filter inside the basket of the perculator. I clean the pot once a year whether it needs it or not.

When our sub went into the yards for overhaul, we pulled the coffee pots off and stored them in the COB's (Chief of the Boat) garage so we could put them back in after the overhaul since they were installing those nasty "instant brew" machines. YUK

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
I used to use a perk until it good so old the holes were opening up and letting too many grounds through; adding a filter would have helped, or just buying a new one. Now I have a drip at home which works ok. On the boat I use a French Press which makes great coffee, although you have to filter a few grounds through your teeth when you get to the bottom.
We had a pod machine at work which I just couldn't stomach so I used a French Press travel mug, we now have this fancy machine which fresh grinds each cup and makes pretty good coffee. Next step is espresso on the boat :)

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
Neither one would I choose. They're not safe nor nearly large enough for my morning commute. Although…
my drip coffee pot looks like this today:

E34646E1-B033-4ADB-8085-C66A66477777.jpeg

:facepalm:

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Black and Bitter for me.
Good coffee... well prepared... is not really bitter. Cream and sugar is for wimps ;) or to compensate for horrible coffee.
Nescafe and Folgers are an abomination
Italy, Turkey, Cuba... now they know how to make coffee.

We use an espresso machine at home, and Moka Pot on the boat and camping.

"I like my coffee black and bitter like my women"
"I like my coffee strong and black like my men"
Anyone know of other "jokes" like those ?

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Good coffee... well prepared... is not really bitter. Cream and sugar is for wimps ;) or to compensate for horrible coffee.
Nescafe and Folgers are an abomination
Italy, Turkey, Cuba... now they know how to make coffee.

"I like my coffee black and bitter like my women"
"I like my coffee strong and black like my men"
Anyone know of other "jokes" like those ?
I heard it as “I like my coffee hot and black like my women “

Greg

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
I heard it as “I like my coffee hot and black like my women “

Greg
That sounds better than the one I know..

I would have to switch to adding cream and sugar so I could say "Sweet, Hot and Brown like my women". My homie, Neil Young got it right IMO. " I want to be with a Cinnamon Girl..." Good taste in sailboats too..

Last edited:
  • Wow
Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I am always amused by people who put skim milk in their coffee. You need the fat in order to mask the bitter compounds.
I saw fat free half&half in the store. How does that work? Isn't half&half suppose to be half milk and half cream? Is it still cream if you take out the fat?

-Will