Photos of Upgrades or Updates

Jun 5, 2012
Catalina 30 mkI Victoria, British Columbia
WOW, you guys are AMAZING! Those pics are just great!!! And I know I'll be hitting some of you up with questions once I really get into things.

For those who have redone their counter tops - did you guys just laminate right on top of the existing surface? Did you pull off the teak surround?
Those who have redone their cabin lights with LED - were you able to find nice ones to match the square footprint of the originals? Or did you switch to round base ones?

Chris - That table is absolutely AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike

Jun 5, 2012
Old Skool,

That splash guard is a great idea. Combined with your under-cabinet accent lighting and the new faucet it really modernized the galley. My wife would love cooking there.

(....did I say that out loud??)

Jan 22, 2008
Fed up w/ personal attacks I'm done with SBO
Old Skool,

That splash guard is a great idea. Combined with your under-cabinet accent lighting and the new faucet it really modernized the galley. My wife would love cooking there.

(....did I say that out loud??)
Thanks. For the new countertops I removed everything from the boat, removed the all the searails and installed new Formica over the old using the conventional method. If going this route I recommend solvent based Contact Cement. The environmentally friendly water based stuff is Krapola in my opinion.

Regarding the comment about cooking in the galley, one of the best additions is the maple cover for the stove. When the stove is not in use that additional counter space is a Godsend.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Thanks Stu, and nice to meet you. I have read MANY of your posts. In fact - you twigged my memory on this link, I had seen it some time back - perhaps from one of your earlier posts. I take it you've tried this method to some success?!
Thanks for the kind words, glad to help.

No, I haven't used that. I bookmarked it, kinda knowing it would come up again sometime soon! :) I read it and it seems like she covered all the bases and didn't have to remove any teak edging. Sounds like a great way to go. We have an old burn stain on our countertop from the PO. If I ever do something, I'd start with this method.

Happy Holidays.

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
I'm flattered Jeremy remembered my boat. Here are some interior pics of my 1977 #600
BEAUTIFUL interior. I love how everything is put away, neat, orderly and organized. No flying "stuff" on a healthy healed point of sail!!!!

(Too many interiors I see in "for sale" ads these days are cluttered to the point of looking almost like a hoarder's house...)

Again, beautiful.

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
To my mind, modifications and updates done well do not detract from an original boat. From the manufacturing plant any boat is a combination of compromises designed to create as broad an appea as possible. Once it is yours, make it yours!

From my perspective:
Interior upgrades that remove age very quickly include new fabric, new countertops and new lighting.
Interior upgrades that improve comfort include larger tankage, HVAC and updated head fixtures, including the head itself.

Exterior upgrades that remove age include new non-skid, new running rigging, and new sails.
Exterior upgrades that increase comfort include lines led aft, clutches, and self-tailing winches. Also, cockpit cusions, auto-pilot and new stainless thru-hulls, (above waterline)

I have done several, but not all of these upgrades in a rather extensive upgrade documented here: http://forums.catalina.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=123450 I am not done yet either.... :D

Hope that maybe some of my updates inspire someone here to tackle similar. Ask any questions if you want!

Jan 22, 2008
BEAUTIFUL interior. I love how everything is put away, neat, orderly and organized. No flying "stuff" on a healthy healed point of sail!!!!
My parents taught me at an early age to acknowledge compliments, seemingly lacking these days so Phil - - Thank you. Not too bad for a 35 year old boat, huh? Believe me it didn't look like that when I bought her for 4 figures.

Elysium, I have several more detailed pictures of the spray shield if you like. It's hard to see but the shield is bent to compensate for the sea rail face angle. Also, removing the sea rail for conventional Formica work is not that difficult if you know the trick to dealing with the teak plugs.

Jun 5, 2012
....Also, removing the sea rail for conventional Formica work is not that difficult if you know the trick to dealing with the teak plugs.
Please share!! I have had to redo the companionway handles on my 27, and had a bugger of a time. There is now a lovely teak 'filler' ring around 2 of the 4 replacement plugs.

With all these great photos floating around now, I feel I should mention - there are no pics of mine just yet as my camera is out of order. I have it on good authority that one will arrive under the tree...

Phil - thanks for posting! The Catalina 27 is near and dear to me (quite literally) and I have perused your posts numerous times. You have done great things to your boat. Love it!!!!

Jan 22, 2008
Please share!! I have had to redo the companionway handles on my 27, and had a bugger of a time. There is now a lovely teak 'filler' ring around 2 of the 4 replacement plugs.!
Assuming the plugs have not been glued in place by a previous owner (IMO they should NEVER be glued in place - see last paragraph), all that's needed is a #6 Phillips head sheet metal screw and a driver. Slowly screw the #6 into the center of the plug. It will bottom out on the screw underneath. Keep on going when it does and it will cleanly lift the plug out like a cork in a bottle of wine, leaving the countersunk hole intact.

For plugs on the exterior I dip the end in varnish before tapping them in place. The varnish has a mild adhesive property, seals the joint from moisture and the plug can be extracted using the method described above in the future.

Jan 22, 2008
Re: stuff moving about the cabin, 40 or so years ago three of us working at Jensen Marine took out the Cal 29 R&D boat for a brisk afternoon sail. We were just outside the Newport Harbor jetty in an area known locally as "The Wedge." The swells were big, steep and the wind was howling. Hard on the wind we were catching air as we tore through the crests and crashing into the troughs. After about three or four of these bone jarring crashes the stove launched off its gimbals and was banging around the interior. That was our cue to turn tail and head back into the harbor.

Ahh, young and invincible, those were the days.

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
Stuff banging around below is a real pet-peeve, especially when folks have been aboard numerous imes before and know I want stuff securely stowed and locked up or locked down. It is a damned safety hazard!

On that point, add to the modifications list: A dedicated place for guests to stow their (excessive) gear is a nice addition and helps to keep the peace when things are lumpy... I just now realize some bungy netting in the starboard quarter-berth along he wall will be a welcome addition on L.L.attitudes II. This will be a good spot for random stuff carried aboard.

Stove launched off of the gimbals??????? wow....

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Those of us who spend time on an anchor KNOW that stuff moving around makes NOISE and is very uncomfortable. When we set our boat up, we made sure there were NO noises from anything that could move. Our (china) dishware is in open bins in the galley, separated with styrofoam pieces that keep them secure. Everything in open or closed storage spaces STAYS where it is put or it gets moved to where is does stay put. Our stove has remained on its gimbals, perhaps they're deeper gimbals than OSN's were! :)

I always find it somewhat amusing when folks report that their cabins get trashed on daysails...

Jan 22, 2008
That wayward stove was a 70's vintage coppertone Galley Maid and the gimbals had no keepers on the top. The pivot pins relied on gravity to stay in place and we were doing anti-gravity exercises. Every gimbal system I've seen since locked the pivots in place.

On my Catalina 30 the only thing that wants to move at anchor or on a mooring is the bifold head door. A rolled up bath towel in the fold silences it nicely.

Jan 22, 2008
Too many interiors I see in "for sale" ads these days are cluttered to the point of looking almost like a hoarder's house...
I'll confess that my wife is not a house keeper. I'm not complaining, she's terrific in many other ways and I choose my battles. She also is not a boat person. That's fine too, I don't require her to participate in something she does not enjoy.

What it means though is my boat is my sanctuary. I can have it the way I like and I like having things organized and in their place.

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
One other nice upgrade that I did was add a Raritan PHii head. It was well worth the time it took.

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 380 16 Rochester NY
Elysium mentioned LED lighting.

When I bought the boat, all of the original lighting was shot. The lights in the fore and pilot berths actually had water in them...

There is no way to fish new wiring through the head liner, so created some pine wooden runners that I screwed to the headliner to run new wiring to. And then capped them with a thin piece of wooden overlay. I mounted LED cabin lights over the table and galley on 1/2" think wooden disks of pine that I stained. I also stained the runners.

In retrospect, I like Old Skool's set up. It looks like some type of white composite attached to the headliner just about the windows, I would assume with low profile LED lighting installed.

I also installed amber LED strips under the headliner near where the topsides meet the hull, which is hidden from view. I bought 6-8 12" LED strips on Ebay for about $3 a piece. I 5200'd them to so scraps of wood and screwed those in place. They create a very nice low level lighting at night.

Attachments

Jan 22, 2008
In retrospect, I like Old Skool's set up. It looks like some type of white composite attached to the headliner just about the windows, I would assume with low profile LED lighting installed.
Here are some pictures of my cabin lighting. The channel is a custom fiberglass/wood sandwich lamination painted to match the headliner. The fixtures are ebay specials - @$5 - as pictured they have high consumption halogen lamps but about 6 months ago I changed the lamps to L.E.D. wafer style.

Attachments

Last edited: