Photos of Upgrades or Updates

Jun 5, 2012
Catalina 30 mkI Victoria, British Columbia
Hi all,
I know there are general forum threads out there for this topic, but didn't see anything specific to Catalinas. I'm currently on my way out of a '74 Catalina 27 and into an '82 Catalina 30. Anybody interested in posting pics of updates or upgrades to their boats that they are particularly proud of??

I'm keen on getting started on a few different projects, but am a stickler for doing my research. Some of the things I'll be working toward are counter top updates from the original wood-style laminate, engine compartment insulation, wheel pedestal console updates, and possibly some new storage cupboards along the sides of the cabin. Currently there are the original spindle rails and (personally) I feel these look really dated.

I'm a visual learner...(and as such might be MainSail's BIGGEST fan!!!) So hit me with those beautiful updated Catalina interiors folks!!
Cheers,
Mike

Jun 29, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Gibsons
Hi Elysium;
Did the engine compartment insulation pics are on this forum, just use the search tool at the top of the page. Also did a storage update.
Congrats on your upgrade, What # is your boat?

Jul 8, 2011
Catalina 30 Sidney B.C.
Hi Elysium;
Did the engine compartment insulation pics are on this forum, just use the search tool at the top of the page. Also did a storage update.
Congrats on your upgrade, What # is your boat?
I also have an 82 luv it
Following are some pics of up grades
Enjoy all the work
Will talk to you later

Attachments

Jul 4, 2012
Open, notice floor..what a pia!

ForumRunner_20121207_113730.jpg

Full height Nav station, all blue seas. All lights led, 440ah batt bank, all the goodies. Sub panel in engine bay, external reg.

ForumRunner_20121207_114026.jpg

ForumRunner_20121207_114052.jpg

ForumRunner_20121207_114111.jpg

Jun 5, 2012
Thanks gang, those are great!
Lost - I don't know yet which hull number she is. Great to get in touch with another owner of the same year. I like your conversion to a fridge. My wife and I have already argued over getting rid of the stove, but I think for now it'll stay. Nice to know you can get a fridge into that spot.

Degree - wicked job on the counters (and great coordinating with those curtains)!
Do you find that having wood counter tops leads to a lot of dents? I just think about my home floors where the kids have put more holes than I can count from dropping dinky cars, etc.
Can't quite tell - where did you put the batteries? Currently for me these are under the nav table (settee model boat) and I want to increase Ah capacity, yet still be able to keep that small storage cupboard that is under the chart storage. Don't know if I can pull it off though.
What brand of panels did you go with on the electrical?? They look great!

Jul 4, 2012
Yeah I have the batteries under the chart table, I had to cut the fg to make it fit. Above it I have a freedom hf 1000 charger inverter, with grates on either end to allow it to cool. And yes there is a cubby of the same size below the table....i have about 10k in just the cost of upgraded electrics....1400 in the wire (14 colors, tinned 14g min).

3 coats spar urethane and so far no issues with dents on the wood. The biggest challenge was the floor. C30's have the most unlevel wacked out Floor I've ever seen BTW I desperately need to sell her.....any east coast guys interested?

Jun 5, 2012
Coriolis - I found your pics of the engine compartment insulation. Sounds like it was well worth the time. I was thinking of going with Soundown material as it seemed to have a bit higher dampening properties than the Dynamat.
Did you ever post any other photos of your insulation work? Did you run into engine O2 problems from sealing up the compartment, or were there still enough ways for air to get in?

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 380 16 Rochester NY
My neck hurts from looking at Degreeoff's pictures!!! :eek:

It's nice when you take a 30+year boat and make her your own!

Very nice. I have a '77 Catalina 30. I refinished the interior, replaced the counter tops and removed one of the sinks.

The PO installed a refrigerator in the Nav area. I removed that, used the space to store 2 batteries a Xantrex battery charger and on demand water pump for sinks. I think created a shutter to cover the hole as the original doors were gone.

When I rewired the boat I created a panel station over the orginal Nav table much like Degree's. I put the radios under the galley area insteadof in the DC Panel.

I also redid the cabin table. I'm not planning on using the table as a third bed so I cut 2" off of it and relaminated it and put a wood underlay of a Catalina in the middle...not bad for a first attempt.

Have to start rebedding the chainplates, life line stanchions, jibcar rails and more...never stops!

Chris

Attachments

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
Nice pics guys. Chris: Your custom salon table ROCKS! Let's see some more photos of upgrades. This should be a regular re-occurring post! Its inspiring to see what everyone else has done. Mine are on an album on my page. Capt. Ron, Ols School Neal, All U Get, & all the regulars need to post their upgrade pics too. Ron has virtually rebuilt & improved every system & component on his C 30. Cheers!

Attachments

Jul 4, 2012
Aw man.....200 out the door @ best buy, included the swing out mount.....offered cash, they took it? Nice boat Chris...clean

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 380 16 Rochester NY
Thanks brother! She's a lot dirtier in person!

TV and DVD player is definately on my bucket list for 2013. Gonna set her up to be my home away from home (and the chores!)

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
I have made a few upgrades to my MKii. Here are a few:

Installed a larger house bank (2 group 27s)
Installed a aux. battery
Installed a battery monitor
Installed a water accumulator
Installed a Raymarine S1 autopilot
Installed a Garmin 441s Chart Plotting GPS
Installed a 12V outlet on the helm and 2 more inside of the cabin
Installed a custom bug screen for the main cabin hatch
Created covers for most of the teak
Refinished the Teak
Refinished the interior teak with Daily's Sea Fin Teak Oil
Installed a sump box and pump

I think that I am missing quite a few things but those are some of the really nice upgrades. Oh, I also upgraded my anchor to a 33 lb Lewmar Claw with 30 feet of chain.

Jun 29, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Gibsons
Hi Elysium;
No issues with air intake, the engine is well vented aft.
The sound insulation mod was indeed well worth it, especially on a long motoring leg.
Dynamat and Soundown dampen and absorb different frequencies, the combo is a good one, although dynamat is a bit pricey. as a byproduct, the sound insulation also reduces heat into the cabin, good in the summer, in the winter I open one of the doors and let the engine heat into the cabin when the engine is off.

Sep 25, 2008
Catalina 30 Lake Murray Sailing Club
Hi Elysium;
No issues with air intake, the engine is well vented aft.
The sound insulation mod was indeed well worth it, especially on a long motoring leg.
Dynamat and Soundown dampen and absorb different frequencies, the combo is a good one, although dynamat is a bit pricey. as a byproduct, the sound insulation also reduces heat into the cabin, good in the summer, in the winter I open one of the doors and let the engine heat into the cabin when the engine is off.
Here are a few modifications I made to 87 Catalina 30. I used this forum to give me confidence to do a lot of the work!
18,000 btu hvac with three vents - 2 in settee area, 1 - in v-berth
New refrigerator compressor with plates and new insulation
Digital tv which can get 21 stations in open water -see Doppler weather channel
New electrical panel, new cockpit instrumentation panel including new wiring harness to and from engine
Bank of four golf cart batteries providing 440 amps of service
No shown but LEDs throughout boat
Full canvas redo
Bottom paint
New stuffing box and shaft
Cool picture from above

We also had a Catalina Rendezvous on Lake Murray, South Carolina in 2011... It was lots of fun - nine Catalina 30s on the lake!

I have before, during and after pictures if someone needs a picture of a process.

Lew Love

Lew Love

Attachments

dj2210

Feb 4, 2012
Catalina 30 Watts Bar
Hey Lew, where did you get the engine panel from? it looks good!

Jan 22, 2008
Fed up w/ personal attacks I'm done with SBO
I'm flattered Jeremy remembered my boat. Here are some interior pics of my 1977 #600

Last edited: