Our 2003 C310!

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
Finally got batteries replaced. I ordered all of them the night this happened from Batteries Plus, but the GC are apparently a problem to get right now. They gave no status other then maybe next truck. I had enough on Friday and found 4 230amh from NAPA local and got those Saturday morning instead. Today made it down and started the reinstall. I redid some of the wire runs so all the fills are easy to access. I also added a battery strap around all 4 GC, so they are not shifting or moving now. Finally I plan to add a battery watering system to keep these filled easier.

@Tom J my GC are an entire single bank, my 2nd battery is a 12v starting battery now. I'll start a better routine to use the 12v to start then switch to house bank. Ideally I'm considering changing the alternator to only charge the starter battery, we just day sail and return to our slip to charge.

View attachment 193874
One other thing to consider is the orientation of your batteries. Ideally they would be running the other way. Here’s an article from Maine Sail that talks about the reason for that.

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
I have four 6 VDC batteries wired in parallel/serial. That is the starting and house bank. I have a voltage read out at the helm. I just don’t let it get below 12 volts. In truth, the only times it got to 12 was when dock power died (unannounced) four five days while I was away. The refrigerator was running (gotta keep the beer cold) and pulled the batteries down. Fired up the engine for 45 minutes to charge them back up and all was well

Nov 16, 2012
I have four 6 VDC batteries wired in parallel/serial. That is the starting and house bank. I have a voltage read out at the helm. I just don’t let it get below 12 volts. In truth, the only times it got to 12 was when dock power died (unannounced) four five days while I was away. The refrigerator was running (gotta keep the beer cold) and pulled the batteries down. Fired up the engine for 45 minutes to charge them back up and all was well
I added this low voltage disconnect to protect the batteries from deep discharge. We also leave our reefer running all the time and are on shore power. Only once has it engaged, but I was very happy that it did.

Do you have two separate banks, or just the 4 batteries combined into one?

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
I have two separate banks, but keep the selector switch on BOTH, essentially making one bank

Nov 16, 2012
I tried but there isn't room in there for them to be in that orientation. Are you running 4 GC?
I was able to fit 4 GC in there, oriented port/starboard, used for the house. I put a G24 battery in the compartment right next to them, and have it wired for starting. Also added the capability to use either bank for either purpose, for flexibility. Attached is the wiring diagram.
Final Battery.jpeg

Attachments

Nov 16, 2012
I have two separate banks, but keep the selector switch on BOTH, essentially making one bank
As long as you don’t drain them too low accidentally you’re fine, but I prefer having a big house bank and a small starting battery. That way if the house gets used up the engine will still start. I’ve also heard strong arguments for a simpler wiring arrangement. Many ways to skin this particular cat...

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
I was able to fit 4 GC in there, oriented port/starboard, used for the house. I put a G24 battery in the compartment right next to them, and have it wired for starting. Also added the capability to use either bank for either purpose, for flexibility. Attached is the wiring diagram.
View attachment 193958
On my C30 I have a similar system from the standpoint of functionality but wired a bit differently. I did not want to rely on not turning the battery switch to both for isolation. I have two (house and start) of the OFF, 1, BOTH, 2, switches. The house bank is connected to position 1 on "house", and the start battery is connected to position 1 on "start". I have a battery cable that connects to both of the "2" terminals. To connect the start battery to the house loads, put "house" on 2 and "start" on "both". To connect the house battery to the starter, put "start" on 2 and "house" on "both".
Under normal conditions, I switch both to "1" and the ACR keeps both charged but isolated for discharge.

• Helpful
Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Nice diagram, Rob, well thought out, drawn and described. Good example for others to be able to show all the pertinent pieces so clearly.

Nov 16, 2012
Nice diagram, Rob, well thought out, drawn and described. Good example for others to be able to show all the pertinent pieces so clearly.
Rod @ Mainesail and a few others were very instrumental in helping me come up with that plan. I’m very happy with it. I leave the switch on 1 and don’t have to think about anything. No instrument drop outs when starting.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
View attachment 193958
Like JRT, I was able to fit the 4 GC's nicely oriented fore and aft, but I can see that you moved the original ANL fuses to make room port and starboard. Very nice.IMG_1155.jpg

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Installed battery watering system today. Also planned out the ACR install but need to order wire.

20210515_114655.jpg

If I'm understanding the ACR install instructions and details from @Maine Sail I can install the ACR battery connections to the start fuse instead of adding 2 more fuses. Just need to use the same wire gage as the batteries.

Last edited:

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
If I'm understanding the ACR install instructions and details from @Maine Sail I can install the ACR battery connections to the start fuse instead of adding 2 more fuses. Just need to use the same wire gage as the batteries.
That's pretty much what I did. You can see in my picture of the GC battery install, I ran a cable from the fuse to the ACR, and then on to the starter battery.

Dec 21, 2020
Catalina 310 Lake Hefner
So after our adventure of looking at a C34 and deciding it was too dated we decided to move on and not really look. Then I was told about a C310 for sale on our lake and got the details and will check it out next weekend.

My wife liked the pics of the inside, and the Vberth should be a big selling point when she sees it in person. Condition is everything and on the surface looks well maintained.

The details are seller is the second owner since 2014, always freshwated in KY and now AL. Factory air and heat with new water pump, new batteries and charger, 600 hours on motor, everything works and owner has made sure nothing is broken. They are selling since they are not as active on it and mostly used it to motor around the lake. Sails sound original, he wasn't sure if original owner replaced them. I'll look but what was the manufactor of OEM sails would be helpful.

Done some reseach, know about chain plate leaks, compression post being short, and the exhaust elbow being too close to the bulkhead. Will keep reading up this week to get smarter. Price seems high to me at $59,500, especially if sails are original and need replacement. Still could be fun and it is close so that is a major plus.
We purchased a2004 fresh water 310 in Texas in December and paid $47,500. Standard boat with a big leak on the port side. Looked like chain plate but was the handrail. AC doesn’t work yet. Fridge doesn’t work. Instruments work. VHF cable needs replacing. Sails OK. Cant tell age of Genoa but main is likely original. Roller furling mast is nice feature. Great layout and great boat. Sails like a dream. Wife likes it.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
:plus:My wife fell in love with the C310's when we started looking for a bigger sailboat. Within a few months of purchasing Andante, she insisted we head up to Massachusetts from Florida, and life has been a great adventure since.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
May sail day with wife and daughter went great. Motored out to our anchor spot, dropped the hook and sun bathed, read, ate lunch and enjoyed a high 70s and nice breeze. The wind was right so I told my daughter let's try sailing off the hook. Raised the main and left her on the helm while I raised the anchor. Went well and easy. Set the jib and a quick tack had us underway looking like we knew what we were doing. Was a fun day but forgot to take pictures.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
May sail day with wife and daughter went great. Motored out to our anchor spot, dropped the hook and sun bathed, read, ate lunch and enjoyed a high 70s and nice breeze. The wind was right so I told my daughter let's try sailing off the hook. Raised the main and left her on the helm while I raised the anchor. Went well and easy. Set the jib and a quick tack had us underway looking like we knew what we were doing. Was a fun day but forgot to take pictures.
You are forgiven for not taking pictures. You'll never forget it anyway.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
We finally hosted nonfamily on RoseLeigh over the holiday weekend. As usual I took no photos so got these from our friends. Was a great day sail and handled some gusts to 15 as we sailed to our anchor spot for lunch. We motored backed after everyone enjoyed lunch and drinks on the hook, shockingly we managed to dock without incident, the illusion of my skills remains intact!

Attachments