Our 2003 C310!

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Out for 2nd race of the year. This is the 1st Mayor's Cup Race for Lake Guntersville. Start is tomorrow with 19 adult boats and unknown number of youth class. We took RoseLeigh over for meet and social hour, should be fun tomorrow

Attachments

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
We survived the event. It was a very lite wind day and they ran both adult and youth class and same time. Was a bit tight as they also set a course in front of the city dock dining and entertainment area for more exposure. RoseLeigh did her thing and brought us home safe. They only announced top 3 in each class so not sure how we did but I think we were OK given the conditions. I believe it was 19 adult entry and 10 youth.

Attachments

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
Good Job! Congratulations, Glad you are out there!
The 310 is NOT a J-Boat, But is a safe, fun capable all weather boat.
We have raced ours and had FUN and have done well, Enjoy Her and the times!

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Final count was 23 adult boats in 1 class and 10 youth boats in one class. They only published the top 12 for some reason. Honestly it was a very big challenge that many boats in a relatively small area and a lot of us cruisers were just not able to do well because the area is amazingly squirrelly wind shifts. My friend, also a 310, who finished 11th, said he wasn't happy about the extreme mixing and hopes they make a cruiser group if they want the big boats to show up next year. I will probably do it anyway as I just like the challenge and practice. That said I had to avoid the opti kids several times and was genuinely worried about their safety

The course was basically in this area, designed to keep is in view of the harbor dining area, we had one marker in the river but 2 in the area between the 2 sides. Maybe I'm just not use to close sailing and small areas but sure felt very small.

Attachments

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Final count was 23 adult boats in 1 class and 10 youth boats in one class. They only published the top 12 for some reason. Honestly it was a very big challenge that many boats in a relatively small area and a lot of us cruisers were just not able to do well because the area is amazingly squirrelly wind shifts. My friend, also a 310, who finished 11th, said he wasn't happy about the extreme mixing and hopes they make a cruiser group if they want the big boats to show up next year. I will probably do it anyway as I just like the challenge and practice. That said I had to avoid the opti kids several times and was genuinely worried about their safety

The course was basically in this area, designed to keep is in view of the harbor dining area, we had one marker in the river but 2 in the area between the 2 sides. Maybe I'm just not use to close sailing and small areas but sure felt very small.

I've had to sail through fleets of small boats racing several times, where the race course crossed navigation channels. Not fun, and scary, for their sakes!

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Not much to update, have had only a couple of sail days and honestly feel bad about RoseLeigh sitting so much. I'm planning some sping cleaning and updating. I'm not currently happy with my golf cart battery and separate starter battery systems to be honest. The 2nd starter battery I installed back in May 2021 is dead now, the 4 golf cart batteries seem to be on there way out too. I'm really thinking of going back to 2 group 31 batteries.

leo310

Dec 15, 2006
Catalina 310 44 Campbell River BC
I change out to 4 lithium batteries and stayed with 1 agm starter (the agm is 7 years old) so far no problems. I also have 600 watts of solar that keeps the batteries charged while at anchor (will run out of water before power).

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
I also swapped out AGM for LFP. Two years ago I built a DIY 560Ah pack which fits in the space of two group 27 batteries and it has been a game changer. I can charge at up to 200A and everything runs better given that the voltage is at 13.2v for 90% of the battery capacity.

Attachments

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
I'm thinking AGM, do you have some info on that build? Saving weight on the port side would help with the slight list to port I have.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Looking at cost now, I think I'm just going to go with 2 group 31 AGM instead of 5 batteries I have now. This would enslave me $300 and 150lbs. Going flooded would save another $200, so maybe I keep putting up with filling them.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Figure out why your 3 year old batteries are going bad first, before you throw more money at the AGMs only to have the same problems. If there are charging problems AGM will only make that even more detrimental, and even more expensive.

How deeply do you discharge on a regular basis? What are your charge sources and how well do the batteries get kept at full charge?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Adding to @Davidasailor26's questions, what type of battery monitoring system do you have?

First, there is no need for 2 start batteries, one is sufficient. A Group 24 battery will start your engine.

There are 3 main causes of short battery life in LA batteries: frequently discharging below 50% state of charge, leaving the batteries for an extended time period at a low SOC, and an old charger.

The short story, if you don't find the cause of your batteries early demise, you are throwing money to the wind with new batteries, especially AGM batteries. AGM batteries are not as robust as flooded lead acid batteries, with poor charging and use they will die quickly.

There are many good articles on batteries and charging on MaineSail's site.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
This is my installation by previous owner.

battery orientation is wrong, this may be the issue. I've tried to stay on top of the fluid levels but honestly can't say I'm perfect.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
This is my installation by previous owner.

battery orientation is wrong, this may be the issue. I've tried to stay on top of the fluid levels but honestly can't say I'm perfect.
I don't see a shunt, which means you don't have a good way of knowing the batteries SOC. Without knowing the SOC, it is easy discharge them too deeply which can lead to a premature death.

The batteries really should be in a box, but there isn't much room in there for a box.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Looking at cost now, I think I'm just going to go with 2 group 31 AGM instead of 5 batteries I have now. This would enslave me $300 and 150lbs. Going flooded would save another $200, so maybe I keep putting up with filling them.
Hello again, been a while from me, glad to hear from you again. We've discussed electrical systems with you before, IIRC.

In another thread recently, I provided these comments:

AGM for Boats

Changing batteries

AGM technology is the worst for boaters ever invented.

Why? Read Maine Sail's reasons:

AGM Batteries - Making The Choice (from Maine Sail)

AGM Batteries - Making The Choice

AGM Battery Issues and the Blue Seas Dual Circuit Switch (from Maine Sail) "DARN AGM Batteries"

Darn AGM Batteries

Additional Observations on the Limits of AGMs Electrical Systems 101 - Page 3

Comment: The main disadvantage of AGM is if they are overcharged they will vent and then your battery is toast.

Reply: While possibly true, the only thing that can overcharge a battery is too high a voltage, and modern marine chargers are pretty capable units.

The main and CRITICAL disadvantage of AGMs on a boat is their inability to cope with PSOC - Partial State of Charge. They require recharge to full regularly.

Unless you plug in whenever you stop sailing, or you have a huge solar array (rare for monohull sailboats) it doesn't happen for cruisers. Many cruisers deal with this, but if you don't AGMs are the wrong choice.

And for most people who do plug in after weekend sailing, AGMs are a waste of money because for the way you use your boat, wet cells would be just fine (unless you have batteries in hard to reach spots; and then you just have the wrong boat :)).

Best regards,

Stu

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Thanks Stu, this previous thread is from the previous owner, not me. The system has been good, I do need to do some checking of course. That said I my boat is 100% a day sailor and charges up each day back at her dock. I'm still not sure, I've had a lot happen in the past 2 years with my father sickness and passing and this past year was a lot of needed support to my Mom, so sadly RoseLeigh has sat a lot. I actually want to get these orientation corrected this year too.