Our 2003 C310!

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Happy new year eve! We did not make a December sail so my stretch of sailing monthly since Aug 2019 will have to restart in January 2021. Sails are off boat now and to save some boat bucks are going to Sailcare for inspections, repairs and modifications.

Don't be too sad for me as I write this we are wrapping up a family trip to Panama City Beach with a condo on the beach, reading Latitudes and Attitudes listening to waves and just relaxing before back to work.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Happy new year eve! We did not make a December sail so my stretch of sailing monthly since Aug 2019 will have to restart in January 2021. Sails are off boat now and to save some boat bucks are going to Sailcare for inspections, repairs and modifications.

Don't be too sad for me as I write this we are wrapping up a family trip to Panama City Beach with a condo on the beach, reading Latitudes and Attitudes listening to waves and just relaxing before back to work.
Happy New Year! Great way to relax over the holidays. Sailcare did a superb job on our mainsail, installing points for a second reef, and reconditioning it as good as new. I'm sure you will be happy with your "new" sails.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Thanks looking forward to the reconditioning. They aren't bad so with some all updates should be fine for our days all needs

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
We went and bought both new sails this year, We did reconditioning once to our catalina 22 sails and it seemed to work out fine, read alot of pros and cons, this year we decided to bite the bullet, bought a new 135% head sail and New main from Doyle/Quantum sails detroit also decided to get a sail cover also, to replace the original one!
All is still in the works looking forward to sailing again with the new stuff!

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
I considered new sails but decided to give this a try for a few years to get some improvement. Should hear back by end of week on cost.

Oct 3, 2011
There are only so many times you can do reconditioning etc than you have as much in as you would in new gear
besides re sale may not get you as much as the sails are worth without multiple re conditioning. Fabric breaks down and wears thin.
At least thats what I have been told..
Let us know how it works!

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
A brief update on status so far with doing Sail Care vs new sails.

I was late finally sending my sails to Sail Care Jan 4th, they received them Jan 7 and got back with me Jan 11th after looking at them and what I wanted fixed on the main. We had some corrections to what I was asking for since I was not communicating well and they adjusted the estimate and sent to me Jan 12.

The estimate is::
Main Cleaning: 246 ft2, $198. 65
Jib Cleaning: 316 ft2, $255.17

Main work:
3 sets of new telltales: $20
Sew on Numbers and Insignia: $72
Replace Velcro labor: $72
Velcro Material: $16.5
Raise clew 6" to add clearance to bimini: $192
Material for sail mods: $44.00

Jib Work
3 sets of new telltales: $20
Repair and Sew Sunband: $120
New webbing at head, tack, and clew labor: $48
Material for new webbing: $11
2 new cleats: $16

Shipping back to me: $57.64
Total: $1142.51

In addition I spent $70 on boxing them up and mailing them to them.

They are shipping back today and called me yesterday and had no more additional issues or problem. They started the work on Jan 13, so a reasonable 2 week turn around to get everything done.

Going in I knew from reading and research that they do hit you to sew on numbers and insignia no matter the condition of these being attached, they have had enough problems with them coming off during the cleaning process that this is a proactive approach. Some customers get really upset on this, but it is well documented on Sail Care site and many people's feedback.

Cost wise this is a bit higher then I planned, but the Main work and repair to Jib I knew going in, so I was not getting away with a straight cleaning price. Before doing this I had several Black Friday Sail quotes. If I wanted to stick with what I have, crosscut basic sail cloth, I could have done that for about $4,800, but knowing I still would be waiting on sails to arrive in April if I was lucky. I decided that I would rather wait a bit and if this can get me 3-5 years out of these sails based on how we use the boat then this was good enough for now.

I'll take pictures of them when they arrive and post my thoughts.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Shipping was fast, they arrived 3 days later but the weather has not been good to take them out and see what I got. My initial impressions were very favorable. They are crisp and very white and clean. There are a couple of stains on the main still, but it was in the poorest shape clean wise. The new stitching and repairs look really good and the changes to the main are hard to tell. Unfortunately weather is not good tomorrow with expected high wind and temps in the 40s. I maybe able to get them on the boat on Sunday or possibly next week.

20210205_143346.jpg20210205_143552.jpg20210205_143723.jpg20210205_143925_HDR.jpg20210205_143941.jpg20210205_144341.jpg20210205_144458.jpg

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Had a problem today trying to replace the last cool hose from the heat exchanger to manifold. I ordered from Catalina direct this one and it seems at least an 1/8 inch to small. I cut the old hose in half and measured the different diameters.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
7/8" is what my M25XP took. Replaced it last summer.
Mine as well. Here is what I used: Trident 250/100 Flex Marine Wet Exhaust and Water Hose - 7/8 Inch. I also used the same hose in 5/8 inch to replace all the other hoses. Raw water intake, water to and from the HX, heater, etc. I did buy 1 foot of 1/2" hose but don't remember where that was used.
Try measuring the pipe nipples, not the hose itself.
Is the CD hose marked as to the size?

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
The CD is marked 7/8", but is super stiff. I'll take a hot air gun with me next time and try heating it up. This one is a total pain ont the back under wiring and a bracket that was scalpel sharp and the motor took some blood getting it off.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
I probably had an easier time as while I was changing the hoses I had the HX off for cleaning at the local radiator shop.
Yeah, 10" or so of stiff hose is hard to work into place.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
The CD is marked 7/8", but is super stiff. I'll take a hot air gun with me next time and try heating it up. This one is a total pain ont the back under wiring and a bracket that was scalpel sharp and the motor took some blood getting it off.
I prefer to use boiling water rather than my hot air gun. The hot air gun can exceed the max temp and it is hard to heat-soak to the center of the rubber. I boil a pot of water and then dip the hose into it. Every few seconds I lift and replace so that the water inside the hose stays at the same temperature.

• Helpful

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Finally got our first 2021 sail in! The last coolant hose almost broke me, love the motor access for sure but that aft one is terrible. She is good now but we did get low oil pressure alarm as we entered the channel. So a bit of practice to stop and anchor fast was done. Turned out to be the sensor wire came apart, so some quick temp repair got the alarm off. Sailing was an easy day 3 to 8 knts of wind made for some laid back fun. Need to get the pics from my daughter as she took them for us.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2011
Awesome !, Now you need to venture Further to really appreciate the 310!
ENJOY, we are still on the hard!
But not for long :biggrin:

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Pics from our 2021 first sail,the sails look really good and had several ask if they were new. The jib foot is fixed and the main mods are working well. Not enough wind to push them, but will keep updates as we get more time with them.

Attachments

Last edited:

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Pics from our 2021 first sail,the sails look really good and hd several ask if they were new. The jib foot is fixed and the main mods are working well. Not enough wind to push them, but will keep updates as we get more time with them.
Looks good. I see you're enjoying the steering stick. Nice!

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
That was a game changer for sure! A Christmas present along with a floating winch handle and holder, so having 2 works great.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Plans for my 1st solo didn't work out yesterday. RoseLeigh was in need of major cleaning thanks to spring so that took a few hours. Then I fixed the broken oil pressure blade connector, which for a change went fast and easy. I then installed our new winch handle box and set up my captains quick access shelf. It has a brass bell my mom bought us which is fun and just a touch of old school on the 310. I also removed the 13" tube tv mount and installed a flat screen with built in DVD player we had.

Good news is we are ready for Sunday races our first this year so should be a fun time, stay tuned.

Attachments